Chronic Sinus Infections? Is surgery the answer?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by meowee, Jul 17, 2009.

1. meowee

meowee New Member

Howdy all,
    I have been battling this sinus problem for months. I have NO congestion or runny nose, just horrible HORRIBLE headache and my right ear hurts. I have just finished my sixth week of antibiotics.. I was on ampicillin, then amoxicillin, then chlorythromycin, then avelox, then Bactrim DS. I had a second xray and the infection is worse than before.

I am going to and ENT but I wonder what the next step is.

My immune system has dropped over six points in the past year.. *IGA*

I have FM/CFS. Any input would be so appreciated.
    God bless and Thank YOU
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Is it a bacterial infection or possibly could it be a fungal or a viral infection? Antibiotics won't work for the second two.
  3. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I used to have the same problem....tried tons of different things, inc antibiotics, was told surgery was the only thing that would help.....talked to several people who had had such surgery (none of them really got relief) mom suggested vit the time I was not into alt treatments, vitamins, etc at all, but decided to try as a last worked....never had the surgery

over the yrs I have tried taking less vit c and w/o fail have started to get sinus issues again, increased the vit c ea time and the sinus problems went away....since then I have learned a lot about alt treatments and have added other immune supplements, too, for other issues.....colloidal silver is another great one - every time I start to catch something I take it and whatever was coming on goes away

anyway, I would suggest trying lots of vit C (like 10 GRAMS - seriously - but don't start out with that much bc it can cause stomach issues if you suddenly take a lot more than you are used to)....I'd also try the silver (either orally or as a nasal spray....orally is probably best, though, bc some people find it a little irritating as a spray)
  4. meowee

meowee New Member

I just wanted to thank you for your replies. I certainly would love to go the natural route and will try the vit c and other things you have recommended.

Thank you ALL.

God bless and hugs
  5. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

The best soln to my sinus problems had been a Neti Pot. Saline & Baking soda. No drugs.

The last one I bought came with a coupon for a free NeilMed squeeze bottle. It's a better choice for an impacted sinus. Whether its allergies or a secondary infection, it seems to rinse it out.
    Mucus is the perfect breeding ground for bacterial infections.
    The eustatian tube leads from the throat to each ear. When you sneeze or blow your nose, it pushes mucus (and any bacteria) into the inner ear.

My ENT told me (gross I know) that its better to snuff and spit, rather than blow your nose.

If I have an active sinus infection, the soln burns slightly but if I'm just rinsing daily, I don't feel anything uncomfortable. I do have many sinus allergies, so I do rinse daily.

Baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) really breaks up the mucus!

Dr. Neil says that you normally make an Isotonic soln (1 packet) but for an active infection use 2 packets (Hypertonic)....but you can just add 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/4 tsp of baking soda.

Also, dairy products are a real mucus producer for many. Try avoiding dairy for 3 days.

A HEPA air cleaner is also a great buy. The white noise helps me sleep.