Chronic sinus problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TaniaF, May 2, 2003.

1. TaniaF

TaniaF Member

Friends I need your help,
    I have been getting sinus problems like every other month. I start off with headaches and facial pain. No discolored discharge or bad stuffiness (just the usual congestion I have had all my life). Took a CT scan of sinus and all normal, slight deviated septum. Whenever I go to my regular dr or ENT, it's another antibiotic for possible infection. Been taking too many antibiotics. I must say that after a couple days on the med I do feel better. If only I could use a decongestant, the pain might go away--maybe it's viral or allergy. Decongestants race my heart and then I have another major problem with tacycardia. Anyone have this same problem with sinus pain and what do you do for it? There has to be a way to prevent these flares. I have mild FM but also have CFS. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tania
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

We have had so many posts on this. Do a search on sinus and it will bring up all the posts on this subject. Homemade saline solution with sea salt and distilled water sniffed up the nose is the best thing you can do for sinus problems.

Love, Mikie
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I agree with Mike, I keep the saline solution on the bedside table, I use it every morning, and if I wake up stuffed up during the night, I use it then too.

Also do you drink water? I have suffered with sinus attacks along with those horrific headaches for almost 20 years.

I read this book called; 'ABC of Asthma, Allergies & Lupus' by 'F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.

I was not a water drinker at all. I started drinking half my body weight in ounces of water a day, and in less than a months time I was almost allergie free! I have not had a severe headache in almost a year now.

I know it sounds crazy, but this doctor feels that most American's are dehydrated, we drink everything but water.

In my case, he was right. He also recommended that we take one quarter tea spoonful of Sea Salt throughout the day, I also do this. It is great not to have headaches and a swollen face all the time anymore.

I am also allergic to most antihistamines, so I really suffered through it. All I could take was Tylenol Sinus, and only one a day or I would get the 'jitters' from them.

He also recommends the saline solution, the homemade kind like MIkie said.

I had headaches five to six times a week. They almost comsumed my whole life along with the Fibro pain. They seemed to go hand in hand, or running a contest on what hurt worst, fibro or headaches.

Hope you find some help soon, and good luck.

Shalom, Shirl

PS. I also took antibotics for years, but they finally caught up with me!

4. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Susan has a good point with garlic, someone recently reported having been cured by having garlic every day along with other supplements.

Several of us have recently had success with sinus problems by taking Olive Leaf Extract, this has been a surprise as we started taking it for the fatigue...

Tap Olive Leaf Extract or whatever else interests you, into the box which says "search messages" and you can brouse through previous posts.

Wishing you better health soon,

Love Pat.
  5. AC77

AC77 New Member

Try the neti pot I have talked about in previous posts. I have had good luck so far. It may not be up your alley, as it isnt for many.

1 tbs of Kosher or Sea Salt to 1 cup water. Sniff this through each nostril, let it drain and spit. Repeat. Do this 2 times a day or more if you can. Try for 2 weeks. Nasal problems always seem to reaccur, ie: polyps, infections, etc... One author boldy states the use of cayenne pepper to this mix, and swears by it, that it doesn't burn/hurt. I don't know if I am brave enough for this procedure. Good Luck. AC
    [This Message was Edited on 05/02/2003]
  6. Mom3

Mom3 New Member

I don't know if this is related to fibro or not, but I have had alot of sinus pain and facial pain lasting for weeks. My jaw and temple and side cheek bones hurt badly. I feel like I banged my face against a wall. It's so frustrating at first I thought it's a sinus infection but it's not the same as i am used to having and it's lasting forever. There is not really muocus just pain pain pain!!! Mom3
  7. snuzzr

snuzzr New Member

Hi my name is Suzy.I have to tell you about my sinus problems! I had 5 sinus surgeries before any one figured out it was myofacial pain. It can go hand and hand with Fibromyagia. The pain in my teeth and checks was incredible.
    I went back and forth from the Dentist to the ENT and no one could figure it out. It took two years. (Edited to remove URL) Check this out- I think you will have some answers. Good Luck

Suzy
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Use only the homemade ones. Commercial sprays contain chemical preservatives which are harmful to mucus membranes.

I have found that a full-blown sinus infection requires a steroidal spray to open up the sinuses so that the saline solution can do its thing. Of course it is far better to use the saline solution all the time to prevent the infections in the first place.

Love, Mikie