Chronic Sinusitis cause of Chronic Fatigue?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by TickToc, Jan 7, 2007.

1. TickToc

TickToc New Member

We just found out last year that my husband has chronic sinusitis that affects all sinus cavities and he also has polyps. His primary care physician said he has never seen a sinus CT scan as bad as my husbands and by the look of the CT scan, he’s had this for quite a while. His doctor believes the sinusitis is the cause of the chronic fatigue he’s had for all these years. It’s been so bad that he is unable to work. I didn’t know that chronic sinusitis could cause chronic fatigue until we were told by his doctor and an allergist that he saw. Then I did some looking and ran across an article by Alexander Chester, M.D. “New Study Shows Sinus Surgery Can Improve Chronic Fatigue”. My husband has seen ENTs who have given him different types of treatment to try but they haven't worked. When they discuss surgery, they say his expectations are too high when it comes to the chronic fatigue because chronic sinusitis will only cause mild fatigue. Yet we have two doctors that say it can, plus the article I mentioned.

Does anyone have any input on this?

Do you know anyone who was suffering from chronic fatigue and had to have sinus surgery and it relieved the chronic fatigue?

Also, does anyone know of a sinus surgeon in the Midwest who acknowledges chronic fatigue as a symptom of chronic sinusitis?

Thank you!
    Lynne
  2. grace54

grace54 New Member

is what I deal with plus fibro/fatigue. I know allergies wear me out and when my sinus pain is bad that puts me down. I have avoided surgery due the the dubious outcomes but yes it wears me out, in fact my allergies and sinus issues are the worst of my symptoms at this time and am getting allergy shots hoping this will help. Getting rid of some yeast problems are helping also.
  3. padre

padre New Member

Lynne:
    When I have been treated for my sinus conditions I have lowered my symptoms a good deal. I have FMS with CFS. I also believe that my sinus issues cause apnea and loss of sleep which results in my muscle pain.

However, I do not get my doctors to agree. A neurologist and ENT worked together to help me. A few years ago I got the symptoms back, but CT scans are now clear. I feel better on antibiotics, and muscinex to open my nose, but tests are inclusive. I have not been tested for yeast which is a common sinus issue.

If you discover something, I'd be glad to hear.

I'd swear you're on the right track at least for some of us.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/07/2007]
  4. woofmom

woofmom New Member

News 14 in Charlotte had segment that stated that most CFS was caused by Allergies or MCS.
  5. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

The article you mention talks about sinusitis causing chronic fatigue not Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. There is a difference.

Many conditions and diseases cause chronic fatigue, which can be a serious problem. But CFS is a constellation of symptoms with unknown cause.

So does your husband have chronic fatigue or CFS?

Shar

6. rigby

rigby New Member

I have never had a sinus infection I have had x rays and CAT scan all came back normal I have CFS and FM Sharon
    [This Message was Edited on 01/08/2007]
  7. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

CFS can be caused a many things. If your husband's CFS is indeed gone, then congradulations!

My sinusitis is also chronic, but is due to a series of re-occuring infections due to a weakened immune system. I sniff Grapefruit Seed Extract and Colloidal Silver using the Atomizer Afrinex bottles...but infections still come back.

Now that my Epstien-Barr virus is being treated my sinus infections are less.
  8. I have had sinus problems all my life. I had the sinus surgery and it was terrible and didn't help one bit. Years ago an older ent dr. told me mine were caused by allergies and gave me polaramine and it worked wonders. Now I can't get the drs. to give it to me as they say there are so many new better ones out there. But to answer your question Yes I believe it can cause cfs and it exhausts me .
  9. Catseye

Catseye Member

In my case, severe dairy intolerance was giving me sinusitis which I had since we moved to Miami when I was 11. When I was about 35, I read that alot of people had cured their sinusitis just by giving up dairy. So I did and a few months later, I had not so much as a tickle in my nose.

I had been, for 25 years, completely miserable all the time. Cold medicines and benadryl and sudafed were a daily thing for me. I couldn't hardly wear make up to the office because it would slide off and smear with me blowing my nose all the time. I figured it was allergy to pollens and cats. So when I read that dairy could be the culprit by making my immune system hypersensitive to other allergens, I tried it. That meant no milk, yogurt, ice cream, cheese or anything with them in it.

It wasn't easy, but my face itched constantly, from the inside out and I just wanted to rip my sinuses out of my head. It took about 3 months to get it all out of my system, but now I can cuddle with cats. Since I've had cfs, I have alot more food allergies and I just sneezed all day yesterday because of the sunflower seeds I had eaten the day before that. So I won't eat them and I won't sneeze.

And if he has cfs, it may be dairy and other food intolerances causing it and the sinus thing is sort of a "secondary" issue, part of how his body is reacting to food it doesn't want. The other main thing I can't touch is wheat in any form. That cuts out an awful lot of food. Maybe google "food intolerance" and search it in this site to see the foods that may be culprits. He may just have to cut out some foods for relief!

good luck

karen

10. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

How about "Chronic Sinusitis Caused By CFS"?

A couple of notes:

* CFS patients are overrun with yeast in general, of course. As all but the most woefully uninformed doctors understand by now, sinus infections are often fungal.

* If you want to kill a sinus infection directly, Diflucan may help provided that the yeast is not Diflucan-resistant. In that case, an ointment that includes ampotericin-b may be compounded and administered to the inside of the nostril with a Q-tip.

* The best long-term way to get fungus out of the sinuses is to get it out of the intestinal tract. See my thread called "Controlling Yeast" for a long discussion of the problem.

* I am increasingly suspicious of anything that weakens a CFS sufferer's system. Surgery of any sort would be at the top of this list.

Certainly, sinusitis is one of many problems that can make a CFS sufferer miserable. I don't think it's the cause of the disease, though.[This Message was Edited on 01/09/2007]
  11. Golde58

Golde58 New Member

Hi Lynne:

When I read your post I had to reply. I first became ill with CFS in 1996. After 1 1/2 years I made a full recovery from the illness and returned to my normal life. Then in 2000 I became ill with my first ear infection. I was on antibotics for the ear infection and the next thing I know I started having sinus infections (first time in my life!) I continued to have chronic sinus infections for approx a year or more and the doctor stated the only thing that would get me off the antibotics was to have sinus surgery. Myself, like your husband was told I was one of the worst cases the ENT had seen. I had the first sinus surgery in 2001 and it was very gruesome. I was able to breath better and didn't have a sinus infection for about a whole two months. HOWEVER, a week after the surgery I started feeling really ill. Long story short--the CFS had returned! That was in 2001 and I've had a second sinus surgery and STILL have Chronic Sinusitis and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. I've been through 6 ENT's and none of them could help me. I now see an Infectious Disease Dr. and he believes (as do I) that I will not get rid of the CFS until I somehow get the chronic sinusits in control. He believes they keep each other going. I went from working 60 hours a week to parttime and now I can't work at all.

So does CFS cause sinus problems? I don't know, but my Infectious Disease doctor thinks there is some kind of relationship there. He has over 500 CFS patients and about 1/4 suffer from chronic sinus problems. As for the surgery, I would ONLY recommend it if your husband is having trouble breathing. As for me, the CFS came first and went into remission. Then came the sinus infections a few years later and the return of CFS. Now I have both.
    I think if they ever figure out the relationship of the two, maybe I will be cured.

Good luck to you and your husband.

Kim