Chronic sore throat, anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Febricula, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I know one of the classic symptoms of CFS is a sore throat. However, I've had CFS for nearly 7 years now, and it's only in the past 6 months that I've had a nagging low-grade sore throat nearly every day.

My local doctors have confirmed that my throat is red, tonsils swollen, and I have "cobblestoning" in my throat. (Apparently this is an icky way of describing how swollen lymph nodes in the back of the throat look.) Other lymph nodes seem to be fine.

When I last had my viral titers checked in November, EBV and other viruses associated with CFS were all elevated. But they've been elevated consistently ever since I started getting them checked, about 18 months ago.

My local doctor has suggested I work on my immune system for the next month, and if that doesn't help, we'll see if the soreness is caused by allergies or acid reflux. I *highly* doubt both of these options, btw. (It's not climate or mold or allergies, because while the weather here is very dry, I've been in other places and the sore throat remained the same.)

I've been taking mushroom extract and olive leaf from ProHealth, and I'm going to double the dose and hope for the best. I'd call Enlander but he is so frustratingly disengaged that ... just no. It's not worth $125 for him to just tell me to double my dose of the supplements he sells.

Anyway. Anyone else experience chronic sore throat? I recently had to get an oral biopsy for cancer, so this is of course making me a bit nervous. I had been leaning against Valtrex (worried about side effects/herxing and whether it's carcinogenic, etc.), but maybe I should re-evaluate this?

2. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I've always suffered with a chronic sore throat with this thing. Throat Coat Tea and Throat Coat Lozenges by Traditional Medicinals helps me the most. The tea is sold in most stores and I get the lozenges online, along with Herba Tussin Lozenges that help for coughs.

We bought a new humidifier and keep that running all the time and it has helped tremendously.

3. hea

hea New Member

When I was first diagnosed with CFS, one of my major complaints was a nagging sore throat, swollen lympth nodes and doctors that told me to 'live with it'. That's when I went to the Whole Foods store and started experimenting with different immune system boosters.

Here's what works for me: daily doses
    2000mg of Ester C
    800-1600mg Astralagous Root
    100mg CoQ 10

Along with antioxidants, multi-vitamin and other herbs... There are tons of natural immune boosters, bur everyone is different so experiment and find the ones right for you.

Since I started this routine (4 months), I haven't had a sore throat!! Good luck!!
  4. Junegal

Junegal New Member

I cannot cope with the sore throat I've had for 18 months. I live on antibiotics. While I don't have an "infection" the only thing that takes the pain away (when my pain is so bad I cannot swallow, like there is cut glass in my throat, along with tons of mucous) is antibiotics. That is why I kept going from doctor to doctor thinking I had a "sinus infection" for months and months, to finally be told I had Epstein Barr and CFS. I have exhaustion too, but that is not as bad as my throat. If someone could fix my throat, I would cope better with everything, I think.

So I am right there with you. You are not alone.
  5. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

You might try Proboost. You can get it here on Prohealths site or through a couple of other websites too. It is a immune booster and really really helps me when I have the chronic sore throat thing going on. Also if I am getting a cold.
    It's expensive, but if you only use it for the sore throats it's not so bad. I take it 3 to 4 times a day, but only when I'm fighting a bug or the sore throat.
  6. Febricula

Febricula New Member

Thank you all for your suggestions! Really good ideas here ... I appreciate them and I'm off to do some research!

I wish I knew what caused this sore throat in the first place, but it sounds like it's common, alas.

*hugs to everyone*

7. Timaca

Timaca New Member

who also was diagnosed with CFS, also had a chronic sore throat. She also had high viral antibody titers. She has been on valcyte (9 months) and her sore throat is virtually gone. She also is MUCH better health wise.

See Her name is brita and she posts in the patients forum....antiviral valcyte treatments updates.

8. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I used to have chronic sore throats, and think I had two different types due to two different causes. One was related to my adrenals - if I got overtired or overstressed a sore throat would always pop up, accompanied with a burning or sore feet sensation. I finally learned that these were symptoms of pantothenic acid deficiency.

I stumbled across this bit of information by accident when I was reading a book by Adelle Davis on nutrition. I started supplementing with a good B vitamin complex and extra pantothenic acid for the adrenals, and that sore throat and the burning feet sensation would go away.

But there was another sore throat which my chiropractor told me was a low grade strep infection and I think he was right, because when I would take antibiotics (not often), the sore throat would go away. But it always recurred a short time later. I couldn't take antibiotics all the time so basically lived with it. Finally, on the advice of my doctor, I bought colloidal silver and both gargled with it and took a few tablespoons a day for about a month (no danger of the grey skin) and the sore throat went away finally, for a couple of months. It came back, I re-treated, and it's pretty much been gone. I also used grapefruit seed extract a couple of times, gargling and ingesting (diluted, of course), and that was effective too.

I still have CFIDS, but have not been bothered with the chronic sore throat for several years. I don't know if this is due to the colloidal silver or grapefruit seed extract or if my immune system finally kicked in for this at least (I still get sinus type infections a lot, but not sore throats)

9. 28years

28years New Member

I just stumbled across this today while I was trying to find some ammunition to bring to my doctor to convince them I needed antiviral treatment. I'm not sure if it's relevant, but it sure is intriguing. Especially for me. My CFIDS odyssey began in 1980 with a very severe case of tonsillitis. I have had trouble with sore throats ever since. I also got Mono three years after the tonsillitis.

Anyway this article makes me wonder if the tonsillitis has something to do with HHV-6, sore throats and CFIDS. Here's the abstract:

Am J Clin Pathol 2001;116:648-654 Abstract quote

There are few studies that examine prevalence, quantity, and cellular proclivity of latent human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) in healthy populations.

We examined 69 tonsils with paired blood specimens from children without evidence of acute infection. By polymerase chain reaction (PCR), HHV-6 was detected at low levels in 100% of tonsils and 39% of blood samples (n = 27), suggesting that prevalence of latent HHV-6 infection is high in children and may be underestimated by PCR analysis of blood. Although HHV-6A and HHV-6B were detected, HHV-6B predominated, being found in 97% of samples (n = 67). Tonsil sections from 7 cases were examined by in situ hybridization using 2 HHV-6 probes and immunohistochemical analysis. Using both in situ hybridization and immunohistochemical analysis, all tissues revealed marked HHV-6–specific staining in the squamous epithelium of the tonsillar crypts and rare positive lymphocytes.

We conclude that HHV-6 is present universally in tonsils of children, and tonsillar epithelium may be an important viral reservoir in latent infection.
  10. tansy

tansy New Member

with inflammed tonsils and lymph glands. This is one of the Sx that has resolved since my Tx that included alternative anti microbials took effect. The only reason I have a mild one now is I have a typical head cold.

tc, Tansy
  11. Febricula

Febricula New Member

I appreciate that so many folks chimed in with their experiences. Sounds like getting my immune system in shape is the way to go, and perhaps I will add in antiviral and antibiotic supplements as well. Valcyte isn't for me, alas, because of the cancer risk.

*sends cough drops to all* ;)

12. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

I use Colloidal Silver Throat Spray and an herbal throat spray and they help a lot too. I also use Echinacea tincture and Goldenseal and Astragulus tincture when I have a cold with the sore throat.

I also find that honey in my tea helps. It's a great, natural antimircrobial.

At least there are lots of products for you to try. Hope you find some relief.

[This Message was Edited on 03/30/2008]
  13. pjpreneur

pjpreneur New Member

I also have had sore throats through out my illness. Sore throat, swollen lymph nodes and low grade fevers. I have not had a common cold in 20 years. I am convinced that in my case, my immune system is so upregulated aht it fights off everything and it is this immune over-reaction that causes the sore throats, etc. therefore, I find that immune "boosters" or anything that stimulates the immune system trigger the sore throat. just my 2 cets.
  14. Hippocrates7777

Hippocrates7777 New Member

There is an on-going discussion and from many contributers about the causes of chronic sore throat, especially when there are also fatigue, neurological symptoms.

See here: <a href=""></a>

[This Message was Edited on 06/03/2008]