?? Chronic Throat Muscle Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tom31, Mar 31, 2003.

1. tom31

tom31 New Member

I have experienced chronic throat pain for years that appears to be on the outside and muscular in nature. The pain worsens as the day goes on and seems to be aggravated by exercise/food. I wake up okay and then it gets worse and worse. I'm find myself constantly massaging my chin/throat area and stretching my neck and chewing gum seems to dull the pain. It also seems worse in hot weather, and has caused depression. The doctors say it is all in my head but I do not believe them, I basically begged for a muscle relaxor but just got OCD meds. Also I have large tonsils which cause sleep apnea...motrin also helps if i take it before the pain revs up.....any thoughts ?? as I'm getting desperate and a google search for intense muscle pain brought me here. Tom
  2. fibolady

fibolady New Member

my throat felt a little tight, but i never had heartburn, i thought. after an endoscopy they found my esophogus practially closed and inflammation due to acid reflux. they put me on nexium for 8 weeks to see if this would clear it up. just a shot in the dark. i would have never gone if it weren't for a dramatic weight lost and unable to eat because like you said, eating made everything worse.

drop doctors who say "its all in your head!"

warm regards, fibolady
  3. ssMarilyn

ssMarilyn New Member

I think Tom is referring to the actual muscles around the throat area, and not in the throat itself. Tom, I have never heard of your problem before, but there's got to be a doctor somewhere that can help you.

Good luck!
    Marilyn :)
  4. 2girls

2girls New Member

I have had this for the past 8 months - the pain is mostly on my left side, although I do get it on the right side from time to time. I have been to 3 ENT's - One did not know, one told me to see a psychiatrist (no kidding), and the last one told me it is a muscular thing probably FM related. I am due to see yet another in May at my docs request. No we are not crazy, at least my primary doc believe's me. I had my tonsils removed at age 7 but I notice when I sleep, the back of my tongue tends to block the throat area. Don't give up - find another doc!

2girls

[ advertisement ]