Ciguatoxin, What the heck is that?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by ohmyaching, Nov 20, 2002.

  1. ohmyaching

    ohmyaching New Member

    Wow that is a pretty interesting article on ciguatoxin on the home page of immune
    support. The fact that the researchers claim to have found such a high amount of ciguatoxin in CFS
    patients is very intresting indeed. If you were like me the first thought
    after reading that article was,” What the heck is ciguatoxin”?

    I found a couple of websites that explain, somewhat in layman terms, what ciguatoxin is.
    These all appear to be medical abstracts so hopefully there will be no objection.
    (Edited by Moderator to Remove URL's)

    This is what the internet had to say. A poisonous substance, ciguatoxin is produced by
    microscopic organisms that grow on the surface of marine algea (dinoflagellate-
    particularly gambierdiscus toxicus). It is found in reef areas of the ocean and is
    accumulated up the food chain so that as the little fish eat the algae and the big fish eat the
    little fish the concentration becomes greater and is at its greatest concentration when/if we
    eat the big fish. The toxin cannot be destroyed by cooking, freezing or drying. It is best to
    avoid eating food from reef areas where the toxin is present. Supposedly the symptoms
    abate within six months, barring repeated exposure.

    Okay, where do I get tested?
  2. ohmyaching

    ohmyaching New Member

    Wow that is a pretty interesting article on ciguatoxin on the home page of immune
    support. The fact that the researchers claim to have found such a high amount of ciguatoxin in CFS
    patients is very intresting indeed. If you were like me the first thought
    after reading that article was,” What the heck is ciguatoxin”?

    I found a couple of websites that explain, somewhat in layman terms, what ciguatoxin is.
    These all appear to be medical abstracts so hopefully there will be no objection.
    (Edited by Moderator to Remove URL's)

    This is what the internet had to say. A poisonous substance, ciguatoxin is produced by
    microscopic organisms that grow on the surface of marine algea (dinoflagellate-
    particularly gambierdiscus toxicus). It is found in reef areas of the ocean and is
    accumulated up the food chain so that as the little fish eat the algae and the big fish eat the
    little fish the concentration becomes greater and is at its greatest concentration when/if we
    eat the big fish. The toxin cannot be destroyed by cooking, freezing or drying. It is best to
    avoid eating food from reef areas where the toxin is present. Supposedly the symptoms
    abate within six months, barring repeated exposure.

    Okay, where do I get tested?
  3. Shirl

    Shirl New Member

    You had/have salt water aquariums, with all the little reef fishes?? Not to mention the 'coral' from the reefs?? Was this mentioned too?

    I don't have the aquariums anymore (couldn't keep them up with the Fibro), but I have a house full of coral, deep sea seashells, starfish etc, from all over the world (oceans). In fact I have a piece of coral so big that I can't lift it!

    Any imput here???


    Shalom, Shirl
  4. karen2002

    karen2002 New Member

    Ciguatoxin, is a neurotoxin. Carniverous Fish higher up in the food chain are more apt to carry toxic levels. (The larger the fish---longer life--more toxic build up)
    Good luck on deciding not to eat fish from coral reefs with an outbreak of this or any of the other toxins caused from the dinoflagellites, which by the way can make shellfish, etc. toxic as well. Ever seen a red tide, or other tide apparations? That's what is causing it--dinoflagellites. How can you be assured your seafood has not come from a reef--with toxic levels, with the level of seafood imports in this day and age.
    Ciguatoxin produces prickling pain, stinging, burning, slow brain electrical activity, muscle spasms, neuroexcitability,
    diarrhea, and even death. Residual symptoms may be aching limbs, pruritus, insomnia, malaise, painful joints.
    I have a great 49 page pdf. file...on this if anyone wants it. The abstract states that residual effects may last years---there is even discussing as to body fluids from those with toxic levels, being passed via breastmilk, sex, etc. Acute symptoms are very apparent, after ingestion, and require emergency treatment. Some may receive low levels, repeatedly--and exhibit more chronic symptoms.
    I wouldn't worry about my aquarium not a good breeding ground...and coral that has been collected and dried should be okay too. Although one can receive inhaled complications during outbreaks, from inhaling the toxins...stay away from beaches, with the varying colored tides---karen
    [This Message was Edited on 11/20/2002]