CINDYCORE; Q re MSM powder

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Cromwell, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Hi Cini,

I was wondering if your improvement on MSM has continued and how you take the powder. Do you sprinkle it on food or what as I know heat can interfere with it(this is why the powder may work better than the pills maybe?)

I would be really glad about some feedback as the muscles or tendons or something in my arms, sides and leg are going from bad to worse. I take ProHealth multi supplement and I am also taking calcium and D. I take 10mg amytriptiline at bedtime and also 10 to 20 mg Prilosec which I feel is really bad for me but my reflux is awful. I am hoping to change out this med next week when I see a gastro.

Any help from you or others would be greatly appreciated.

Annie Cromwell
  2. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

3. Catseye

Catseye Member

I take MSM in pill form, 1 gram each twice a day, on an empty stomach with Vitamin C. It's supposed to be better absorbed on empty because it is supposed to be an extremely good binder and may bind to other things in your stomach. And lots of sites recommend to take it with Vitamin C. Some say they put the powder in juice. And it's supposed to be good for pain but from what I've read it can take anywhere from 4-5 days up to 6 months to get pain relief. But they all say to stick with it and let it build up in your body.

It's a powerful detoxifier so start slow and work up to what dosage you want. Cheney recommends 6-9 grams a day. I'm doing 2 now, but I don't have pain. I'm using it for allergies and detox and just overall sulphur benefit since I have a very limited diet. You may want to read up on it and decide on a good dosage.

Here's an interesting article on it;

http://www.cancertutor.com/Other/MSM-Article.htm

best wishes,

karen
  4. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

For the help. Anniecrom
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Yes, I'm still on the MSM Powder, since November. I'm taking two full tsps per day. You must start slow because I felt awful at first. Now I don't notice any ill nauseated/headache feeling at all.

My pain has gone down. My skin and muscles were always hard as rock and now I can grab a handful of skin if you know what I mean! The MSM detoxes plus works as a muscle relaxant.

It also makes the cells more permeable and allows the nutrients in plus I've increased my digestive enzymes and probiotics and included more veggies and fruits.

Last week I flew to visit my son for X'mas and made it through the airport with so much more energy and stamina.

I also really like the idea of "Juicing". I've been using my blender alot but don't like all the pulp. Will be buying a proper juicer soon.

If you have any more questions let me know. Everyone here has been so helpful for me.

P.S. Sorry I re-read your post: Yes in the morning I put the 1 tsp. powder in a shot glass with water then drink lots of bottles of spring water throughout the day. Then around supper I have another shot.

I had tried a full bottle of MSM caps before the powder and never noticed any difference.

Also I've been drinking "Green Alive" for months. 3 tsps. in a 8 oz. glass of water. in the morning. This also will help improve cell health.

Cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 01/04/2007]
  6. cbs1234

cbs1234 New Member

No help at all.
  7. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

for Annie and Karen. Did you see my reply.

Katen: How's the weather in D.R.? Did you walk to the beach today?

Cindy
  8. Catseye

Catseye Member

Yes, I do have a question about MSM. Have you noticed any digestive issues with it, like does it help or hurt? A month ago I had a "pancreas" attack, but it was probably the fat I ate that week. I was trying roasted vegetables and they were so good I ate a ton.

I actually haven't been to the beach for quite awhile, even though it's so close I can hear it. Since I've gotten energy, I'm trying to spend some time with my parents since I've been such a recluse all summer. I want to try riding my bike soon, too. The beaches here are nice. They have actual waves, not like Florida where it's pretty calm all the time in the Gulf. And the sky is a darker blue than in the US.

But now, it's winter. The Dominican are running around in their jackets and hats (in the morning, at least) because it's in the low 70s. The lowest of the low in winter last year was 65 degrees. But I'll be going to the beach very soon because whale season starts in another week. This is the mating capital of the world for the humpback whale and you can see them swimming by. That was a real treat last year! You can go out on boats but safety is not something that has any kind of priority in this country so I'll stay on shore!

best wishes,

karen
  9. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Karen:

I just love hearing about the beach/waves/whales stories. I can just picture myself walking that beach!!!

About the MSM, yes it makes me go to the bathroom more but the digestive anzymes are slowing things down. My system is getting used to the 2 tsps. day. I noticed a pain difference after about 2 weeks but I've far from being out of the woods yet. Pain not as bad as before. I take many other things but I noticed the MSM helped so much and will continue taking it. My skin looks much whiter! Not as blotchy and my hair and nails are thick.

Take care
    Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 01/06/2007]
  10. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Just getting back on here. Having a lot of nerve pain this week and last. This is really useful advice.

One more question. Is Sam-E MSM? or contain it?

Annie Cromwell
  11. Catseye

Catseye Member

SAMe and MSM are both methyl donors but they are not the same substance. One won't contain the other. Methylation has a role in many cellular functions.

SAMe is an amino acid that a healthy body can produce but its production is probably compromised in our diseases, especially if the liver is not functioning properly. It is critical in cartilage formation and it crosses the blood-brain barrier where it affects the synthesis and activation of various proteins, ie neurotransmitters.

MSM is a sulfur-based compound that is a component of proteins found in the body, like in the hair, nails, skin and tendons. They're both very important for alot of bodily functions. I take both of them and another amino acid that is a methyl donor, too: trimethylglycine, TMG.

good luck with them!

karen
  12. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks for the reply. That is so useful.

You wouldn't happen to know if either of these interfere with amytryptiline that I take bedtime 10mg. I have cut the prilosec to about 5 mg now. I am hoping to wean right off it as it is clear it interferes with absorbtion of many things.

THere used to be a pharmacologist on the boards who was really great and she shared that most pills(inc Prilosec) can be halved or quartered wiht no ill effects.

Do you live in Germany? You seem really smart I follow a lot of your responses and find them very good.

Love Annie Cromwell
  13. Catseye

Catseye Member

The MSM I think is okay. I can't find anything that would make me think otherwise. It's found in small amounts in some foods and beverages.

The SAMe, though, is not recommended with the amytryptiline. Probably because they sort of do the same thing and the SAMe may increase the effects in a bad way. So if you want to try SAMe, it would have to be by itself.

Incidentally, doctors have prescribed SAMe for 20 years in the 14 countries where it has been approved as a drug.

You may want to look at my post about neurotransmitter precursors dated Jan 18. It talks about the nutrients your brain needs to function, alternatives to drugs such as amytryptiline.

I take MSM, SAMe and all the neurotransmitter precursors everyday.

Oh, I'm in the Dominican Republic, about 2 hours flying time southeast of Miami. I couldn't let my husband kill himself taking care of me anymore so we sold the business and our house and moved here. He almost gave HIMSELF cfs taking care of me.

I'm glad you find my posts interesting. I've learned alot being ill for the past few years and am dying to share with others what they can do to feel better and get their bodies working especially when the doctors can't help them, as in my case.

best wishes,

karen
  14. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

MSM is also available in a topical (lotion/gel) form. That might help your muscles/tendons.[This Message was Edited on 01/22/2007]
  15. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Thanks again for the information. I will look for the topical. A friend told me it is ok to sprinkle it on applesauce, plus he said to always take it with a protein.

I am only taking half the prilosec now and stopped the amytryptiline as I am doing far betrter on the Sam-e I note prohealth have posted research into this in Boston.

Love Annie

ps my friends visit the DR and love it.