CindyMindy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lovethesun, Feb 10, 2006.

1. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

My doctor is giving me a referral for breast reduction.I was just curious to know how long the recovery time was for you-when were you at the point you were before the operation?Linda
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

bumpity-bump
  3. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

4. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

I'm sorry it took me so long to see this post. I haven't been on much lately.
    It took me quite a while to get back to normal. I had a hard time with the stitches my doctor used, my body didn't disolve them like it was supposed too. Which of course kept infecting my incisions.
    I also promised my doctor I wouldn't smoke after the surgery cause he wouldn't do it until I did. No doctor will cause it keeps the blood from flowing in the breast like it should. Needless to say I found myself unable to quit so that caused me more healing problems.
    From what I've read and from others I've talked to, you should be feeling pretty good and be able to go back to work around 2 weeks after the surgery.
    Even with the problems I had there wasn't much pain. There are no muscles in the breast so you're mainly dealing with fatty tissues. I was sore for awhile but nothing really bad.
    I will warn you not to look at your breast until the doctor says you're healing well. They will bruise and if you smoke the bruising will be severe.
    Even with the problems I had I would do it all over again. For me the pain was minimal, I just brought alot of my problems on myself by smoking.
    You will feel alot better without all that excess weight weighing you down. And you will be able to fit into your clothes so much nicer. I have never regretted it. Just be sure to do what your doctor tells you to do and you're breast should be healed up nicely in probably a month or 2. I had too many problems so it took me longer than it should have.
    Don't let my issues talk you out of it, you will be fine. I feel so much better about myself I would still do it again even with the problems I had. I have so much more selfconfidence cause I was so selfconcious about them.
    I know you will feel alot better and it really isn't a bad surgery. JUST DON'T SMOKE!!!!
    Take care and let me know when you have the surgery. You won't regret it.
    Hugs, cindy

[This Message was Edited on 02/13/2006]
  5. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

Thanks for the wealth of information you've given me.I've never smoked(though I wasn't able to keep my daughter from doing so)so that won't be an issue.I don't work-I have a fairly severe case of Fibro-I've lost 20 lbs and it didn't help.

I've seen breast reduction on TV,so I'd expect much bruising.To be honest I've wanted it done for many years and am glad to have a reason it's medically covered.Sorry you had such a long road.I will keep you informed.Linda
  6. cindymindy

cindymindy New Member

Forgot to mention that your insurance company will probably try to delay the approval. My doctor told me they would reccomend an exercise program and special bras and that it would probably take 6 months to get an okay for the surgery.
    I just told my insurance company that I was in pain and would go to the ER every week if I had to to get the approval. Within a couple weeks I got the go ahead form them. They are kind of like Social Security, they think they will save money cause they are banking on you changing on your mind. My doctor even sent pictures in of my breast, which were clearly very large and they tried to deny the surgery. Any thing to try to save money.
    I ended up having 2 pounds taken off each breast and still have a nice full figure C cup. So if they try to make you wait, you might try the ER route. That should spend things up.
    Once again I think you will be very pleased with the results. It feels good to be able to sleep on my stomach at night. Take care and please keep me posted.
    cindy
  7. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

thanks for the tip-ah,to be able to sleep on my stomach again.:and to be able to buy swimsuits off the rack.I know,I'm dreaming-a lot of appealing first.Linda