Cipro use and Gulf War Syndrome, CFS, FM - quick survey

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pepper, Nov 13, 2002.

1. pepper

pepper New Member

I am fascinated by the article on the ProHealth home page linking the Cipro family of drugs to our DD's. So many of us, including me, have suffered from chronic sinus infections, that I wonder how many of us have ever been on this drug.

I don't know if I ever have, but I am going to ask my doctor next time I see him.

How many of you took Cipro at any time before becoming ill?

The results of this poll could be interesting.

Thanks. Pepper

[This Message was Edited on 11/13/2002]
  2. pepper

pepper New Member

I am fascinated by the article on the ProHealth home page linking the Cipro family of drugs to our DD's. So many of us, including me, have suffered from chronic sinus infections, that I wonder how many of us have ever been on this drug.

I don't know if I ever have, but I am going to ask my doctor next time I see him.

How many of you took Cipro at any time before becoming ill?

The results of this poll could be interesting.

Thanks. Pepper

3. karen55

karen55 New Member

a couple of times for sinus infections in the last few years. I was not dx until recently, but I have been having all these symptoms for over 3 years.
  4. kadywill

kadywill New Member

not me.....my husband did, does that count??? lol
    Kady
  5. tamara!

tamara! New Member

When I was in my early teens I took it alot. I have the symptoms that go with the use of cipro.
    TAMARA!
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

I took Cipro last fall when my white cell count was denagerously low (later determined to be a side effect of being on Topamax) and I had a rapidly growing infection in one of my little toes.

By then I had already stopped working from the fatigue and was unable to turn my head or lift anything due to the FM pain. So I think it came after the symptoms in my case. I've been on lots of antibiotics for sinus infections, but never Cipro, which, by the way made me incredibly dizzy.

Barbara
  7. tamara!

tamara! New Member

It isn't just cipro it's fluoroquinolones. Among the more common of these medications are: ciprofloxacin (Cipro), levofloxacin (Levaquin), norfloxacin (Noroxin), ofloxacin (Floxin), and trovafloxacin (Trovan). Read the message from today that says," I have accidentally stumbled the cause" at the bottom of that message I've typed the address of an article on this website,copy and paste it the address.
    TAMARA!
  8. pepper

pepper New Member

I did notice that message and thank you for mentioning all the drug names. It seems that the author of the article quoted on the home page is the same one who wrote the article quoted by Ron.

This is an interesting area that might bear further investigation.

Pepper
  9. karen55

karen55 New Member

I've taken that too.
  10. klutzo

klutzo New Member

I never took any of the antibiotics mentioned in that article until 5 yrs. after I was dx'd with FMS, when I took Cipro for what was incorrectly dx'd as a UTI,but turned out to be vulvar vestibulitis, which is connected with FMS. I took a low dose of Cipro daily for two months, with no side-effects at all, at that time or later on.
    Klutzo
  11. bridge81

bridge81 New Member

Yep, I've been on Cipro for more than a week and stopped taking it because of hawful side effects. Since then I have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia but also have some seizures and loss of hearing, visual difficulties, burning pains, loss of balance, etc. Anyway I thought that all of that was from MS... until I've read this. I am still in shock and don't know how to take this news.

Tnx

Brigitte
  12. witsend

witsend New Member

I have taken floxin and levaquin several times. I have had hallucinations where I would wake up and see things that weren't there. I was not dreaming. I would wake up my husband screaming since I thought men were in the bedroom. The last two times were 20 days of therapy for severe sinus infections and by the 14th day or so I had stopped sleeping and started to develop severe tendonitis in my legs and feet. And crabby? I was like a crazy person. These are also the drugs that those army personnel were on when they killed their wives at that base last summer. I would never take it again for more than 10 days and not even sure if I would then. In looking back I cant be sure when the first time I took it was but the last few times sure seemed to trigger increases of CFS symptoms.
  13. rge

rge New Member

Yes, Cipro, Paxil, Prozac, and Baycol

If one looks at the side effects of these drugs and all fluorinated drugs including ansthesias which are F- , You will see a pattern that has fluoride poisoning fingerprints all over them.

Let me point out that I was put on Cipro BECAUSE of the first symptoms of F- poisoning - dizziness/brain fog.
    Then of course I had psych problems (yeah, right!)

While, these F- drugs, make a good case one can not rule out that fluoridated water, manufactured food, soda, grapes wine, TEA etc are not the precipitating factor of our chronic mystery diseases. One does not have to drink F- water to overdose on F-.

Ron
  14. dojomo

dojomo New Member

I nearly got arrested for drunken driving after taking Floxin.....I was hospitalized over night because I was confused and didn't know where I was...it was horrifying.........DJ
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2002]
  15. Milo83

Milo83 New Member

I took Cipro before and after..I was diagnosed approx. 10yrs ago & just was on Cipro about 2yrs ago for almost 6weeks due to a severe skin infection..
    Donna
  16. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I almost ended up in the ER from respiratory arrest from taking just one Cipro. I also got very, very sick from using the flouride rinse at the dentist. I will never do that again.

Love, Mikie
  17. amymb74

amymb74 New Member

or any of those..Amy
  18. dove1

dove1 New Member

Thanks for posting the newest suggested link between these drugs and our illness. My antibiotic use and onset of symptoms were roughly during the same years as far as I can tell. You can bet I will be talking to my MD about this at the next visit. Scary, huh?
  19. Member

Member New Member

I've been hearing a lot about Cipro. In Septmeber of this year Dr. prescribed Cipro for a UTI infection. No side effects which is always good.
  20. Kim

Kim New Member

And the effect scared me. It was prescribed for urinary tract infection which I didn't have.

I have all symptoms of Gulf War illness but had them before Cipro.

Recently I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis.