CITALOPRAM " CELEXA "

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 6t5frlane, Nov 14, 2005.

1. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Anybody ever take this drug. I kow it's an anti-dpressant but my doc says its a mild one and may take some time. I'm worried about some of the side effects after reading the flyer that came with it..Thanks...Geoff
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I took it for about 2 1/2 years. Doses were graduated upward, and it took about 3 weeks to begin to work (noticed a difference in pain levels).

I've been on Cymbalta for over one month now and had to taper off of Celexa and on to Cymbalta. Cymbalta helps my migraines much more.
  3. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Did it make you drowsy or tired. Did youy take it at night or during the day ?? Thanks
  4. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Has anyone else tried this drug....Thank You to all
  5. acesk

acesk New Member

My Mom also has fibro and she took Celexa for 2 years for the depression part of fibro - helped her depression IMMENSELY! No pain relief, though. But it did give her energy.

She took it in the a.m. because it gives you energy. First thing when you get up so you'll be able to sleep at night.

Good luck!
    Sue in Florida
  6. piebear

piebear New Member

My experience with Celexa hasn't been the best. I don't want to discourage you from taking it if it works for you though. Everyone reacts differently. I just didn't do well with it. Mostly when I went off of it. Took me 6 months to withdraw. It was a complete nightmare. And I did it very, very slowly too. The reason I went off of it to begin with was because it made me a zombie (I felt nothing), I gained weight (which I lost when I stopped taking it) and lost my sex drive.
    Of course the weight gain and loss of sex drive can happen with many antidepressants. I was also on it for 3 years so that could explain the severe withdrawal. If I had to do over again I wouldn't have taken it.
    It took a week or so I think to work and I took it in the morning. I of course started at a low dosage and ended up taking the max amount. 40mg I think?
    I don't really remember any other side affects other than the ones I mentioned. I don't remember it giving me energy but its possible. And yea it helped with the depression. It just helped a little too much is all. But once again that was my experience with it. Everyone reacts differently.

[This Message was Edited on 11/15/2005]
  7. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

Everybody is different. With my opinion of Celexa that's a point that I have to stress.

With no history of depression I was given Celexa to help me relax and sleep during a stressful period.

There's somethings we're not allowed to talk about on this board - and unfortunately my side effect of the Celexa was the thing most forbidden for us to talk about.

I'm sure if you take into consideration the side effects that are listed, and go to the most severe one.. it'll say "thoughts of".

In my case "thoughts of" turned into a week in ICU under psychiatric watch.

Now my medical file just says "adverse reaction to Celexa"

If you take it, let the people around you know. If you are one of the people who have a reaction to it, sometimes you're not in the state of mind to realize.

Take care

~Amanda
  8. abbylee

abbylee New Member

But my doc and I finally realized that I was not depressed. I think it's one of the newer antidepressants. Of the newer ones that I've tried, each was very difficult to get off of. Especially Paxil.

abbylee
  9. nc2004

nc2004 New Member

I took Celexa during menopause with good results. Did cause dry mouth occasionally and some drop in libido. Other than that, the experience was positive.
  10. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I took the Celexa at night, so if it did make me drowsy, I didn't notice. Again, no side effects.
  11. alonebutnotlonely

alonebutnotlonely New Member

6t5frlane,

I took Celexa several years ago while going through a bad a$$-kicking divorce. It helped me get through the divorce because I just didn't care about anything or my husband anymore. I guess that's called a zombie. I didn't care what it made me it got me through the most brutal 3 years of my life. I take Lexapro and Cymbalta now and I'm not a Zombie.

I don't remember how much or what time of day I took it. It served it's purpose for me.

Dee
  12. lyndav

lyndav New Member

being that we are all individuals, its a matter of trial and error when it comes to meds, especially anti deps.
    i have had amazing results being on celexa for my depression, it help end my 10yr+ battle with evil thoughts and extreme hollowness (abbreviated version of the he!! i went thru)
    but as for helping fibro, i cant comment. i only had fibro pain the last few months, and been on celexa a few years now.
    lynda
  13. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane New Member

Thanks, I took the first one last night. Felt a little " high " about 2 hours later. Then felt tires and went to bes. After sleeping ( 11pm ) about 3 and half hours I woke up. Then fell back to sleep for an hour and this happened on and off until 6:30 am. I feel like ^&%$#%$ today !!