ckball

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by deb0531, Feb 6, 2008.

1. deb0531

deb0531 New Member

Hi Ck I read on your profile that you had rectal cancer, a dear friend of mine was just diagnosed with this. She's very young only 35 and really just like a daughter to me , I'm so upset. Would you mind sharing some info. Thanks Debbie
  2. ckball

ckball New Member

I am sorry to hear about your friend, I do hope they have caught it early. I was 40, I had hemmoroids for over 20 years off and on. Then they got very bad, alot of pain and bleeding. My gyno of 10 years saw them when I had a pap smear and pleaded with me to finally let him take them out. He was a regular surgeon too.

I thought about it for a few weeks and the pain was horrible so I gave in and made the call. About 5 days after the surgery, he called me and asked me to come see him. He said pathology said it was a extremely bad cancer and was inside of the hemmoroid, hence the pain and bleeding.

Even tho he was assured he had got it all during the surgery, he wanted me to go threw chemo and radiation. I spent 2-5 day stays in the hospital for chemo, then had 30 radiation treatments, those were the worst. I would rather die than go back threw that again. I had a reaction because of one of the meds I was on and was burnt very bad in the entire area, if you know what I mean.

That was 12 years ago and have been cancer free since. I have a freind of mine who had a quack Dr and blew her off as just hemmoroids, then six months later she went to Cleveland Clinic and had rectal cancer. She ended up having to have a bag because they had to remove all of her rectum. She was in her late 50's and is now 71 and is just a spitfire and does not let her bag define her life.

She just goes and does what ever she wants. So there is hope. I was told if I had put my surgery off a month or more that I would have been dead in a year, it was a very aggressive cancer.

I wish your freind all the best and hope she recovers and get back to a normal life, for there is life after cancer-I am living proof-Carla
  3. deb0531

deb0531 New Member

Thank you so much for the info, it's very reassuring to talk to someone who has been there and survived. I believe they have found hers fairly early, she to thought she had hemorrhoids and was bleeding a little. she mentioned to her Dr. and she asked alot of questions but because of her age and she really didn't have any other symptoms, she said will just keep an eye on it. My friend went back to her Dr. about four months later for something else and mentioned that she was still bleeding. Thankfullly she had a good Dr. and she sent her right away for test, telling her that she really didn' think it was anything but wanted to be sure. Even the people doing the test told her not to worry, they didn't think with the info they that anything was wrong. They found a turmor and did further testing and it was positive for cancer. She's had other tests and they said it isn't anywhere else. She started kemo today for five weeks wearing a fanny pack for 24 hours a day for five days a week and then she is having radiation, they are hoping it won't be very big when this is done maybe the size of scar tissue, but they are still going to operate and make sure there is nothing left there. I sorry this is such a long post but this has been quite a shock, this woman is almost like one of my kids and I still think of her as a little girl. I'm so glad you have been cancer free , and again thanks for sharing. lol Debbie