Clarify Breakthrough Pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by abcanada, Jan 11, 2007.

1. abcanada

abcanada New Member

I was given oxycontin yesterday, 20mg tablets & to take 1-2 times a day. I was taking percocet every 4 hours. She gave me percocet as well & said I would likely need it as well. I'm scared I'll end up overdosing. How long after taking a time release pill should I wait to take percocet (if needed of coarse). Is the idea to have NO breakthrough pain? Thanks for any answers, Laura
  2. TinaJones

TinaJones New Member

Laura - I read your profile and we have many things in common. I got extremely sick 10 weeks into my last pregnancy (3 1/2 years ago). I have six kids that are very close in age. It makes it so hard to be sick when you have young kids; but, like you said, they are also the reason I get up each day.

Anyway, I have a ton of experience in pain management as I've been on just about everything - unfortunately. The oxycontin, I'm assuming, is the ER (extended release). I'm assuming your doctor wants to try to go less on the Percocet (short acting), that's why you got the Oxycontin. My advice would be to use the percocet for any extra ("breakthrough") pain on top of your normal pain. For instance, if you have a headache or your back is hurting more on a day - whatever your pain issues are. I don't know how many percocet she's alloted you per day; usually it will say use 3 or 4 per day for breakthrough pain - something like that.

Just to put things in perspective - you are actually on a relatively low dose of Oxycontin. I understand your fears of taking too much, but as I said, you are still within the realm of a low dose. For instance, when I was oxycontin - I was taking 60mg 3x per day. This was on top of also using morphine, and medicine for breakthrough. I have severe pain issues.

Of course, I'm not a doctor and anything you feel uncomfortable about - you should always check with your doctor. But I've done a ton of reading, know a lot through my own experiences, etc. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to talk more about this! Take good care.
    --Tina
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2007]