Clark Howard alert re defunct video chains and fees

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TwoCatDoctors, Feb 8, 2011.

  1. TwoCatDoctors

    TwoCatDoctors New Member

    AS I PUT IN A PRIOR POST HERE, YOU CAN GET YOUR CREDIT REPORT FOR FREE-- you can order your FREE annual credit report through or by calling 1-877-322-8228. TwoCats


    BY: Clark Howard (appears on HLN)
    Posted: 1:01 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 3, 2011


    A collection agency called National Credit Solutions (NCS) has been harassing people all over the country and I'm fed up with it.

    NCS has been trying to collect on debts allegedly owed to 2 now-defunct movie rental chains, Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video. But they're going about it without serving notice to the alleged debtors and then immediately reporting people as deadbeats and ruining their credit -- actions that put NCS in violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

    NCS was allegedly telling people to pay up to $300 in fees for $1 late fees that may not even be valid in the first place because of the suspect recordkeeping of Movie Gallery and Hollywood Video.

    Now, let's say somebody did legitimately owe $1 or $3 or whatever to these companies. NCS should notify the debtor and give them the opportunity to dispute or acknowledge the debt. Then they can reach a solution where the debtor pays up upon acknowledgment that they owe the debt. But NCS is bypassing the rules.

    The attorney general of the state of Montana has sued NCS over its illegal actions that have ruined the credit of 12,000 people in the "Treasure State" alone.

    The state of Montana wants those people's credit records cleared immediately. But I say that's not enough. We need revisions to the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act that will send the leaders of NCS to prison so there's a meaningful consequence for flouting the laws of the United States.

    I am happy to put somebody from NCS on the air for rebuttal. But if the allegations are correct, there's no excuse. If you hear from NCS or they fouled up your credit, I want you to fight and fight hard. Contact your state attorney general and dispute the debt with NCS.

    We have had problems in the past where companies have gone out of businesses and the collectors who snatch up their debt get out of hand in trying to collect. It's been a terrible problem. But the answer for you is not just to pay up when the collector isn't doing as required by law.

    by: Clark Howard


    [This Message was Edited on 02/08/2011]
  2. jole

    jole Member

    It's great to know there are still a few honest people out there fighting for us! I enjoy listening to his short spots on the news also. He's always so informative......just wish I could remember everything he
  3. Mikie

    Mikie Moderator

    He's like Mr. Rogers but for grownups.

    Love, Mikie

[ advertisement ]