Cleaning aids or tips that help you cope

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LOVED, Oct 23, 2006.

1. LOVED

LOVED New Member

Does anyone have any type of cleaning products or tips that help you cope with keeping the house from becoming declared a disaster area? I have tried just about every gimmick out there but aside from having a live-in maid, still struggle to keep up with the basics. I do alot of spot cleaning but the house never seems to be really clean. Have found with FM that a messy house really adds to my stress level. No, I am not type A; used to be until FM.

Loved
  2. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

I'm serriously disabled with CFS, house-bound and lying down most of the day. Two of the self-care strategies I've come up with recently are:
    -wear a bib to keep food from getting on pajamas, since I eat lying down
    -keep a jug full of water by the couch for easy water re-fills without getting up

But, that's a bit OT. :) For cleaning, here's the best I can do (won't work for everyone):

-get SOMEONE ELSE to do it! That's what family members are there for.

-place every item that isn't absolutely needed day-to-day into storage. (Like, in a box or bag in the garage.) This cuts out some of the clutter. Also, try to throw away or donate things you don't need.
  3. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I still really like my Roomba vacuum cleaner. It just goes and goes and goes until the job is done.

I do still vacuum with my regular vacuum sometimes especially when I want to do the furniture too.

Hugs,

Nancy B
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

I love my swiffer wetjet. It's great for cleaning floors whether laminate tile or hardwood. Actually, all the swiffer products are good. I use the duster and have the cordless vac as well.

As for getting it all done, I try to pace myself. My hubby takes care of the vacuuming for me every week and I try to do a bit of cleanup each night, even if it's only straightening up the bedroom.

I also get much more stressed out than I used to trying to stay on top of things. I used to be able to get everything done in one day on the weekend. Those day's are long gone now.

All the best

5. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

One of the things that has helped me the most is using a timer and using the Calendar on Microsoft Office to remind me to do things.

I set an appointment to do a load of laundry and then set a timer so that I will remember to get it out of the washer and put the clothes in the dryer.

These instruments are "my new brain".

The other thing that is most important is that I hire someone to do the heavy cleaning.

We use many of the Swiffer products for quick, easy cleaning.

Enlist any family members that might help you.

My problem is clutter. I started spending just 15 minutes a day on days that I am able to find something to throw away. This is hard for me because I love to cling to paper. This project seems like it will never end but it does make you feel good and it is amazing what you can throw away or do in 15 minutes.

Good luck and I hope you get many replies because many of us good use help with this.
  6. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

The secret is never to let the dirt build up. Heavy jobs are best left to to other people if you can.

I have a rechargable carpet sweeper that saves getting the vacuum out; mine's a swivel sweeper & does both hard & soft floors.

I mop with one of those mops with a disposable pad & an attached bottle of cleaner that squirts a litle out when a button of pressed.

My duster is a waxed one with a handle, that just shakes outside when it's full of dust.

Every day I wipe the bathroom with antibacterial cloths.

Hope you find something to help you Loved.
  7. getfitat40

getfitat40 New Member

I must confess that I hired a cleaning lady who comes every other week. It is one of my concessions for working in a very stressful environmental and she is worth every penny.

I keep up the bathroom and kitchen with Windex and Clorox wipes. They are a life saver. I too have an awful clutter problem. I am in a throw every thing out phase and the good news is that the cleaning lady takes the garbage out for me - I live in a vintage 2-flat in Chicago and I am on the top floor - the heavy lifting and cleaning by someone else is exactly what I needed.

I know not everyone can afford a cleaning service but it is the best thing I have ever done for myself. My parents, who are on a fixed income, have budgeted for this service.

8. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

Like others here, I have found the secret is not to let things get too out of hand. I also use the Swiffer products. I love the wet and dry swiffer sheets. The dry sheets are great between vacuumings and the wet sheets are much easier than hauling out a mop and bucket. You can't let your floors get too dirty, though. I also like the Swiffer duster. It is lightweight and picks up dust really well.

My husband tends to leave things around as much as I have tried to "train" him. After seven years of marriage, I have discovered that men are not trainable! Just taking ten or fifteen minutes to pick things up makes a big difference.

I don't have a dishwasher, so it's important for me not to let the dirty dishes pile up too much. After dinner, I soak extra dirty pots and pans for awhile before washing. Much easier on the arms and hands. I let the dishes air dry and put away later.

I also have a lint remover that I use often (I have three cats). For me, pacing myself and not letting things get out of hand works for me.

Ellen
  9. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

Hi Loved - I clean houses for a living and I completely understand how never ending it can be. In my own home I have found doing a little daily keeps everything from building up on me.

Turn off television and telephone while you clean.
    Do a small load of laundry everyday.
    For an immediate air freshner add a dryer fabric sheet to a wastebasket.
    Clean kitchen sink with vinegar and it will make the sink sparkle.
    Try adding 1/2 cup of bleach to your toilet when you leave home and flush when you return.
    Rubbing Alcohol cleans chrome and caulk around tubs.

When storing left overs store in throw away containers or old butter buckets. This way when it's time to throw it out, you can throw the whole container away.

There are so many to mention but try to do a little each day and it will make a huge difference.

Love & Hugs!
    Carolin