Cleaning Products and Fibro?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by littlebrownwren, Sep 24, 2005.

  1. littlebrownwren

    littlebrownwren New Member

    Have any of you read anything regarding the use of cleaning products and fibro?
    Women are the majority with fibro, but we are also the ones who use thousands of household cleaning products yearly. They all have warning labels about skin, eye contact and ingeston, but most of us just grab the cleaners and rags and go at it. Could this be why few men suffer from all our problems?
    A friend of my sisters has been told by doctors that her immune system is almost gone due to household cleaners.

    My daughter has developed some of the same symptoms I have but has not been diagnosed with fibro, yet her problems started when she first got married and moved into a rental house. The owners were chain smokers and my dau spent days with bleach and other cleaners on every wall in that house. They only lived there a short time before they bought their own house but the damage was already done. Now she has horrible reactions to bug bites ,especially mosquitos. Big half dollar size knots pop up. She now has to wear pants, socks and long sleeves when she works outside. Any kind of insectcide sets off highs and lows in her temperment. Bleach the same way.
    So could this horrible curse we suffer from come from the combined use of the same products that are suppose to help protect us?
  2. NyroFan

    NyroFan New Member

    Iltlegrownwrn;

    At Costco I by a hug thing of Lysol disinfectant---not the same as 'antibacterial' products. With it I have made
    dish detergent, counter cleaner, Semi-Purell and even in the washing machine. It has been on my shopping lizf for many yeras. No problems at all.

    Hugs,
    nryofan
  3. Dee50

    Dee50 New Member

    No smell
    No chemicials
    No Bleach
    I use Meyer's cleaning products and Avalon organic botanicals (lemon verbena is my favorite) and Dr. Bronner's Magic Soaps (for bathtime). I enjoy them all.
    Hope she is better soon.
    Dee50
    [This Message was Edited on 09/24/2005]
  4. LollieBoo

    LollieBoo New Member

    I do think that having FM sensitizes us to many things. It is partly characterized by our overactive histamine reactions.

    I had gotten a job working in the deli at a large grocery store, and I was really excited b/c I wanted to learn the sandwich-making, short-order cooking part, hoping it would give me insight into creating my own store.

    Two weeks. I lasted two weeks. The entire time I worked there, I had terrible sore throats, my eyes burned, I was so easily fatigued, and would pass out if I stood up too fast or moved a certain way. It was terrible.

    I finally decided the day that I woke up dreading work, even though I loved the work itself and the people I worked with, I just knew that once I went to work, I would feel terrible all over again. Whatever cleaner we used, they said it was non-toxic and "gentle", but the bottles we used to mix the different cleaners had lots of symbols on them, signifying not-so-gentle qualities! I think that must have been what it was.

    I felt so dumb, quitting a job because it "gave me a sore throat"!

    Ugh. Maybe your daughter should see a Rheumy.
  5. TaniaF

    TaniaF Member

    Can't stand any fragrance or fumes. It attacks my asthma. I clean my entire house with white vinegar and baking soda. It shines, it's clean and no fumes!

    T
  6. jbennett2

    jbennett2 New Member

    I have recently started using natural products. I get them from the Veriuni store on-line. Here is a link
    http://www.moreinfo247.com/8963492/VCL. No, I do not sell these products.
  7. Bambi

    Bambi New Member

    ago I saw a list of the 10 most dangerous jobs. Farming was number one and Housewife was number 2!
  8. littlebrownwren

    littlebrownwren New Member

    Thanks girls
    I mentioned to my daughter about my post on household cleaners and we got to talking about what a horrible summer I've had.
    The fibro symptoms have done a giant leap forward on me. I have been in lots of pain and really getting depressed.
    This is the summer my husband and I decided to get some major work done on our home as he is nearing retirement.

    Our kitchen was gutted and new cabinets are in[Home Depot} but I had to strip all the old paper and put up new liner also I have painted 4 rooms from ceiling to floor. On paper it sounds like a lot but it took me 3 weeks to paint my bedroom. I just couldn't do it. I stayed exhausted and in pain.
    One month when working on the living room I had to stop and spent 3 weeks laying down or holding on to walls to walk.
    I have a doctor who will give me stronger meds for pain and do injections but even with insurance this cost money and I was determined to do the work on my house.
    The gist of this is since early spring I have been cleaning and preparing walls or painting them so I have been breathing these fumes for months. I would run the air with the windows open and use a fan but looking back on it , this is when my fibro got worse.

    I still have one room to do but i've gone about as far as I can go. Feeling this way is not much of a life. I had to miss church today because I just didn't have the energy to get myself together and go. I love my church and it is the one time in the week I can put everything else aside and relax.
    Going to the grocery is a big ordeal. Twice I almost left
    my buggy and walked out but made it home and had to find
    somebody to carry groceries in.Two other times I had a debate with myself about calling someone to come and get me.
    Anyway thanks for the replies. I think I'll put that $25 bucket of paint and all the cleaners up for awhile and see if anything changes. I will let you know.