Cleaning Products

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Straightarrow, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Straightarrow

Straightarrow New Member

What do you use to in the way of alternative products? I can no longer tolerate bleach. I bought some products from the health food store (earth something) but the scent still irritates me and vinegar drives me crazy w/ its odor.
    Does anyone use teatree oil or anything else? I looked at a product that I'd like to buy with tea tree oil but it is so expensive.
    What else is there and what has worked for you?

Thanks!
    Kris
  2. SnooZQ

SnooZQ New Member

is a pretty good oxidizer/stain remover/disinfectant -- less potent than bleach at the commonly available 3% concentration, but I use it to pretty good effect.

And it's cheap!

Take care when using tea tree oil. Be sure to dilute it & use protective gloves. TTO was banned from pet care products in Australia many yrs ago after kittens started dying from neurotoxicity linked to the TTO. It's a strong solvent, will zip through your skin & head for fatty tissue.
  3. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Active Member

Hi Kris - I have given up using most cleaning products after I discovered MicroFibre cloths. If you get a really good quality cloth, you don't need a lot of cleaning products as the cloth will get rid of most dirt. They are great for cleaning counter tops, sinks and tubs/showers, stainless steel sinks, appliances, windows and mirrors, for dusting, washing walls and doors, etc. They will even get off tough dirt and grime that most cloths won't touch without a lot of effort. For anyone with ME/CFS and/or FM, they are great.

If I find I need something extra to remove dirt, I use baking soda. It doesn't scratch or leave any residue.
  4. Straightarrow

Straightarrow New Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I just bought a huge bottle of peroxide and was also told you can put it in your laundry. Is it as effective at getting rid of germs?

I have the micro fiber cloths and love them but mostly use them for dusting and wiping the mirrors. Do they get rid of germs? I'm a teacher and can't afford to get sick. I notice now I am getting headaches more at work and wonder if it's from the cleaning products.

I used to be the type to spray everything down with lysol but those days are gone. I still never feel quite clean enough. Neurotic, maybe? Our school had several cases of MRSA last year and none were my students but it changed us for sure.

A friend also suggested Amway but I haven't looked into it. I remember a neighbor used to sell it.

Thanks and any more suggestions, feel free.

Kris
  5. sisland

sisland New Member

Yes on the microfiber cleaning cloths!,,,,also i found a product called "green works" put out by clorox and it does a very nice job in the bathroom with very minimal toxic fumes,,,,,good info here!,,,sis
  6. Grumpy Gus

Grumpy Gus New Member

I have always like Method. Cool colors and nice smells. Seems to work as well as anything else.

my 2 cents.

--Gus