Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lgp, May 26, 2011.

1. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

Has anybody ever used that stuff I've seen in the supermarket in the detergent section that is made to specifically clean the washing machine? I think it is a Tide product. My machine (which is used daily) seems to get a gradual scuzzy soap build-up around the agitator and the fabric softener compartment, which is in the center of the agitator. I take the removable pieces out and soak the in hot water and hand clean the pieces. But I was thinking of using this product for the parts that are not removable. I never had this problem with my previous washers (this one is about four years old GE Profile) and I wonder if this happens because I don't always use HE detergent, which is recommended for the machine.

Has anyone ever used this stuff? If so, please post and let me know if it worked well or not. It's a lttle pricey, so I don't want to buy it if somebody tells me it's a dud!!!

2. spacee

spacee Member

Haven't seen it so haven't tried it. I hope someone posts about it. If it works,
    it could really help.

I bought 3 washing machines while my sis still had her Maytag. I finally bought
    a Maytag. I think it is 25 years old. Doesn't have the new fangled softener compartment.

3. victoria

victoria New Member

For a long time our washing machine has had a mildewy smell, tho this doesn't translate to our clothes or anything. Why, I don't know.

But no soap buildup. We do have a water softening system since we have (very hard) well water, maybe that's one way to avoid it?- not sure... fwiw.
  4. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

and found a few interesting facts:

--This stuff is made primarily for washing machines with odor problems, and it seems that front loading washing machines are plagued with odor problems. Some claim it is due the fact that you cannot leave the door on these washers closed for several days at a time. It makes sense since these kinds of machines have to have an air tight seal so as not to leak. Since the top loaders (like mine) do not have to have an air-tight seal, a small amount of air can always get in even whe the lid is closed--thus less odor problems in these machines. One site even recommended leaving the doors to these machines open when not in use. But I was thinking, with small children and small pets (I have a cat), that would not be advisable;

--Some people said this stuff made the odor problem worse while others claimed it helped. Very lttle mentioned about removing soap film;

--Finally, someone broke down the ingredients in the products and claims that you can probably get the same results with a cheap box of borax!

jam, I would not take a chance and use baking soda in my machine because it is an HE machine. When I first got the machine, I was told to NOT use Arm and Hammer detergent with baking soda..I did anyway once and it flooded my laundry room. The tech told me that alot of people have a hard time rinsing that particular detergent out of their machines (it could be my water, who knows). So I don't know if it's the baking soda or the detergent, but I don't want to take a chance on that!! Types of water can do strange things too; my friend who lives in my town (but has a different water company) claims that if she uses non-chlorine bleach (like Tide with Bleach) on her wash, it turns everything yellow. She has reported this to her water company!!

I think my next machine is going to be one without the central agitator. I heard they are much gentler on the clothes. Maybe I should be like the college kids and opt out of doing laundry all together!! now that's the life!!

5. rocky76

rocky76 Member

Vinegar thru it...

Its cheap and works wonders....

I even use a cup in with my clothes....

Works great on greasy work clothes...

And takes the smell out of musty towels..
  6. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I just had to go to the supermarket on a dire emergency--husband out of ice-cream. Thank God it's only a few blocks away! Anyway, I went down the detergent aisle, and the store had the Tide washing machine cleaner on sale for $6.99 and I had a Tide $1 coupon in my wallet that they doubled. The box of borax was beyond gigantic and was over ten bucks. Seriously, I don't even think I could lift it!

So now I just dumped a Tide packet into the machine and we'll see what happens. According to the instructions, for a smelly machine, you are supposed to use one packet a week for three weeks and then once a month. Since my machine is not smelly, I don't think I will need to do it beyond once. I'll post again later or tomorrow with my results.

I have found the best thing to use on grease spots on clothes is Liquid Dawn. I keep a small vial of it in my bathroom and rub it on a greasy spot before placing the item in the hamper. It works wonders!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/27/2011]
  7. victoria

victoria New Member

Never noticed that product before, I'll look for it. We're trying to rent out the house right now, so that would be a big help to lose that smell even tho it doesn't affect clothing.

I never heard that before about Arm & Hammer laundry soap, either. We use it because it is one of the few free of perfume, but no problems with the machine at any rate. So, what is a HE machine?, wonder why you can't use baking soda in it?

Vinegar I've tried with no success for the smell, also some bleach but not a lot since we do have septic system. I also regularly clean the plastic top of the inside barrel (amazing how dirty that gets. It's a top-loading machine btw, we leave it open all the time when not in use. I just don't remember 2prior machines ever smelling like this one does.

And yet we have no soap residue like you do, Laura. Maybe it is the water, that was weird about your friend's experience.

8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

I just came up from my dungeon (laundry room--lol) and I will tell you, the load of towels that I took out smell very pleasant!! While the machine did not smell per se, it has now given it a much fresher smell, so I am satisfied with this product. I think you should give it a whirl.. I bet you will have good luck with this product since your machine is a top loader.

The HE is a heat efficient washing machine, and it is recommended that you use detergent with the HE seal on the label. If you look closely at the detergents in the store, you will see many with the HE label now. I think if you went shopping for a new washing machine now, you would be hard pressed to find one that was not HE.

As far as the A & H detergent is concerned, I remember using it in my other machine also ( in the powder form) and it would congeal and not rinse out well in cold water. In the HE machine, it would flood out..the bigger the load (like towels) the more likely water would pool on the floor. All I know is the technician told me to stop using the A & H detergent, and I haven't had a problem since then.

And I cleaned the inside of the barrel last night-- you're right totally gross!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/28/2011]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Has developed a bit of an odor, even though I always prop the door open to allow it to dry out overnight. It helps that I start out with my dark load and finish up with whites with a bit of bleach. I discovered that I can leave the door slightly ajar when it's not in use and it will let a bit of air in. Hopefully, this will help.

Love, Mikie