Clear Stringy Mucus in throat

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by suz9601, Jul 30, 2004.

1. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Sorry it is kind of gross, but have any of you had a constant clear stringy mucus in the throat? I have had this sore throat for 6 months now and have this mucus too. I dont know what that means. Any ideas?
  2. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

and don't know what it is. And like you I've had it for a long time. Somehow it never seemed to rise to the top of list of things to get checked. Maybe someone will be able to tell us what it could be.

Ariel
  3. suz9601

suz9601 Member

Do you have a sore throat with it?
  4. tandy

tandy New Member

I've had this thicker mucus problem for almost 15 months!! sometimes worse than othertimes~
    Yes,when I clear my throat,it comes up or when I cough.
    I don't have a sore throat with mine. Just thicker secretions. I'm stuffy alot to(nasal).
    I get bronchitis 2 times a yr in the fall or winter.
    Not sure if this part of Fibro,...but I know others have talked about it here before.
    Your not alone~
    Take care :)
    Tandy
  5. minxlinx

minxlinx New Member

I went for a sleep study a couple years ago, and I snore and have sleep apnea. The tech though I needed a CPAP, my doctor thought I was borderline and never ordered it. I don't know if that has any bearing on it.

Ariel
  6. jadibeler

jadibeler New Member

post nasal drip. If it's in your throat rather than your lungs, that's usually the answer. I don't know about a sore throat, though. When I have an actual sinus infection or cold my sinus drip causes a sore throat. The rest of the time it's not obvious that my sinuses are a problem except for not being able to breathe. I've been like that for most of my life but it's worse since a surgeon messed up a deviated septum years ago.

Those of you who have sore throats with it - do you have CFS rather than FM? Sore throats seem to go with CFS more than FM.

JoAnn
  7. Blueflora

Blueflora New Member

Oh yes, My life is lived from behind a tissue. I usually always have a sore throat, post nasal drip and a runny nose. Sometimes the mucus thickens , so I take guaifensin, which thins it somewhat. As long as it's clear, it's probably not infected, but if it's cloudy or changes color, see the doc.
    How do y'all deal with it?
  8. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I am new to this symptom, so I am not sure how to deal w/it yet. It is pretty thick and when I open my mouth to see how red my throat is it strings from the top to bottom of my mouth. I thought maybe it was eitehr from the inflammation in my throat or an allergy...I had a CT of my sinuses, so it isn't something in there...It chokes me sometimes.
  9. suz9601

suz9601 Member

I have had CFS and FM for 8 years and this just started about 6 months ago. I had a culture of my throat last week and it said no strep although I had an ASO titer done and it is high..so I don't know what that means of how it relates. I'm tired of this sore throat and stringy stuff.
  10. Blueflora

Blueflora New Member

I know how you feel about the choking. Sometimes my throat closes up and it's hard to swallow. Often, when I'm eating I'll choke from things going down both pipes. Lovely when it's in a restaurant! I did read tho, that this is a symptom of FM
    Be sure to drink lots of fluids!
  11. Noz

Noz New Member

Read my post on worms for my theory on this one
    Noz
  12. sues1

sues1 New Member

Some of us eat popsicles for milk causes more phlem
  13. 7xgrammy

7xgrammy New Member

I have this problem constantly and in my case its drainage from my sinuses. It can also irritate your throat. I use a saline nasal spray to help fight off infections. This loosens the drainage and allows you to cough it up. Its not very pleasant, but is irritating at most. Also, drink a lot of water. This helps the mucous to stayed thinned out.

Good luck.

7XGrammy
  14. Majesta

Majesta New Member

Hi suz9601

I have the same problem for about 20 years ,but no sore throat . Elimenating dairy products and drinking more water

will thin your drip, and you won't notice,if you have a sore throat I wound have it check you could have an infection.

Good Luck
  15. nikd

nikd New Member

I have discovered that dairy was the cause, it causes mucus and I have post nasal drip, found that going off dairy clears it up, I know it's had but rice dream milk is nothing like the soy stuff, and their are other things you can eat, fruit smoothies, made with frozen fruit and rice dream instead of milk products.