Clenching (bruxism) and Chiropractic?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Juloo, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Juloo

Juloo Member

Has anyone had a chiropractor adjust the jaw for TMJ troubles? I've been seeing a chiropractor for about three years to keep my back and neck kink-free, but it didn't occur to me until I read a flier I got in the mail that chiro could deal with TMJ as well.

I had an appointment yesterday for a TMJ evaluation, and the chiropractor adjusted my jaw -- I felt a little 'pop' and 'zing', but no pain. My jaw definitely feels a little different. I wear a bite guard at night, but I am on the list for a new one w/my dentist because I have worn through in an area that makes it less effective.

The strange part is that I woke up NOT clenching (unusual for me)...and feeling as if I didn't have to. Even the little staticky electrical-feeling impulses that have me clenching HARD as I am falling off to sleep were not there. Oh -- and he's got me taking a calcium, magnesium, potassium supplement (on top of what I already take -- and he approved that).

The chiropractor says he'll have a good idea within the week whether the adjustment will 'take' or not. Sometimes the ongoing stress negates the treatment.

Has anyone else had their jaw adjusted by a chiro for TMJ?
  2. razorqueen

razorqueen Member

I haven't had an adjustment on my jaw for TMJ, but I have had my chiropractor stretch the muscles inside my mouth for it. Hurts like a bugger. He/she buts a little latex finger "glove" on, (looks like a condom ;) ) and stretches the muscles inside my mouth on both sides.
    My massage therapist has done this too.
    Raz
  3. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

My chiropractor does the same thing as razorqueen...it hurts so much that tears happen. Then, it really releases the muscles and relaxes the jaw.

I've also had massage therapy for it, acupuncture, ultrasound, and Reiki. Sometimes I use arnica gel right on my face muscles and neck to releave the pain.

Take care,
    Hopeful4
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I go today for my follow-up. I clenched a bit last night, so it seems like it popped out of place again.

Strangely, I would have thought the chiropractor would have done the muscle massage, although I've done it myself in the past per Clair Davies book on trigger points/myofascial pain. But he didn't. That's probably okay -- at least when I do it, I can control how painful it is (and it is *very*!)

I've never tried the arnica gel before. I think I'll try some tonight.

Thanks for all the replies!
  5. johanna

johanna New Member

Hi- I am new to these boards although I have read them before today. I probably should have read more often ! I have Fibro for 10 years, had confirmed Lyme all this summer and it is still lingering with problems..

Anyway, I have an MD who leans more toward natural & homeopathic treatment if she can, and she resolved the teeth clenching and jaw pain by massage and the stretching inside ...and it dissipated for months. I had this problem for 3 years off and on, mostly on , after some terrible dental work, combined with the fibro. I only wish I had known this treatment year ago. In any case, the stretching and reverse popping out of my jaw made a world of difference - Time to go back for another! I have had 2 years of sacro cranial massage by Dr. B and it was very beneificial - I was close to being incapable of working at all. It has soothed my fibro 50% ...just have to go back every few weeks , and unfornately cannot always afford to. Hope this info helps!