Clenching teeth, biting nails..what should I do?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gramaT, Sep 13, 2005.

1. gramaT

gramaT New Member

Anyone know what would help the nail biting, and the teeth grinding? Also loud noise gets to me. I'm on oxycontin, 10 mg 3x da, cymbalta 20 mg (cant seem to increase it-too sleepy), and Trazadone 50 (which isn't giving me deep sleep)

You are all such a big help. Just thought someone might have some insight. Ive had a bad few days now and don't know what to try.

thanks and Blessings to all,
    Carolyn
  2. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I've found myself doing the same thing as you describe. I've had FMS for quite a while, since my twenties, I'm 58 years old. I found that the childhood habit of nail biting returned as symptoms worsened. Then to make matters worse, I developed TMJD from clenching / grinding (bruxism).

What has helped me in the past is to get massages (talk about relaxing!), and regular manicures or "fake" nails.

The noise in my left jaw is terrible, even when just talking! No matter what I've tried to stop the clenching or grinding, I've been unable to stop. I believe that mine is due to stress, and I know that reducing stress would help in a lot of ways, not just with the bruxism. The dentist could make an apparatus to use at night, however, I do it quite a bit during the day. I welcome any suggestions in this area as well.

Jeannette
  3. jenemc

jenemc New Member

I also clench my teeth..i don't even realize it until my hweads starts hurting or my jaws do. I went to wally world and got a mouth guard for it..it helps some...

but i still clench it hard also, i still realize i'm doing it when i start hurting. my dr said it is stress and gave me some nerve pills,but i haven't gotten them filled yet. i will this w/end though.

jennie
  4. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Nail biter and teeth clencher here. I've always been a nail biter, but this teeth clenching started with the FMS.

I have difficulty believing that it's stress induced. I've had plenty of that in my life and never before did I clench my teeth.

I'm taking a combination of lunesta, morphine and norflex at night and it really helps me sleep. I do find I'm very jumpy with loud noises as well but I think that may have more to do with the pain killers. They tend to make you more reactive to noise.

Hope it settles down for you.

Eileen
  5. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

Hi gramat, I wrote you some e-mails but thought why didn't I just post them here?? So, here goes.

Good Morning Carolyn,

I saw your post and so sorry to hear your having a rough time of it. I've had a bad couple of days too after my singing praises of gratitude for an alright day. It will pass I know.

I too find myself grinding and picking/biting at my nails. I noticed the grinding thing when my vicodin really kicks in late in the evening. I have always done the nail thing however. I think for me it is a combo of feeling restless, stressed and also the meds. I wish I could tell you something simple to do for it. ????? I guess it would depend on you trying to identify where it's coming from? Are you feeling anxious or stressed about anything? Also saw some stuff that TMJ is a part of fibro. Not sure why.

You have been on my mind and I wondered if you were having a bad time so sent up some extra prayers for you. I know I have to remind myself to ask for help cause I get so wrapped up in the pain I forget. My mom reminded as only mothers can do. She is great and I miss her terribly. I had to have 5-10 mins of feeling sorry for myself the other day and just cry and then I was better. Couldn't stop the tears from coming and stinging my eyes. So, I just let it all hang out for a few mins.

Hope you will be feeling better soon. I'll keep you in my prayers today.

Hang in there!
    Jenny
    Hi again Carolyn,

Sorry I just thought of something else. Are you watching too much of all this horrible stuff happening in the world on TV? I have noticed in the past it can get to me if I don't turn it off sometimes. I've had it manifest in things like grinding and feeling stressed and didn't even realize it. I normally watch the Today show but I think I will try to catch Joyce Meyer this morning she is on TBN at 7:30am. I really like her and the way she says what she means and means what she says.

I think we are all very sensitive people and the world around us affects us more than "normals".

Talk later I hope!
    Love, Jenny

6. gramaT

gramaT New Member

THANK YOU ALL for your suggestions and help with this problem. It sounds like I'm not alone. Its funny tho, I've had the FM for 15 yrs and just started this. I sure will try the relaxation techniques and a massage(Ive been putting that off) It surely will help. I am going to try Lunesta so mabe sleeping better will help too.

Thanks again and Prayers for all of you

Enjoy this great weather!

Hugs,
    Carolyn