Clenching Teeth

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by nice2meetu, Sep 19, 2005.

1. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I occasionally wake with a headache and horrible pain in my upper teeth jaw and neck area. Its also very stiff. As a kid i was told I grind my teeth. Could the teeth grinding and the pains be related as tmj? Do i see a dentist?
  2. tcluna

tcluna New Member

its a gaba-ergic system malfunction. a mild form of an epileptic condtion. it can ruin your teeth. youll probably need a bite guard or more likely, anti seizure meds.
  3. puppyfreak

puppyfreak New Member

I used to clench all night and woke up with all the same symptoms. This was when I was going through heavy-duty therapy to deal with childhood abuse issues, having nightmares, the whole mess.
    And yes, it's technically TMJD [TemperoMandibular Joint Disorder]. I was supposed to wear a nightguard but never did since having something in my mouth caused more anxiety and made me feel like I couldn't breathe.
    Anyway...I more or less 'grew out of it' after a lot of the stuff got resolved.
    I would be cautious about taking medications before exploring the current stressors that may be causing this nighttime tension.

Char
  4. rrsbaby

rrsbaby New Member

I clinch my teeth while sleeping also. I do not have TMJ, but I sure have broken teeth doing this. I have also brused the gum around the tooth, and loosened the tooth. Seems like I always pick the same tooth to clamp down on.

I got a mouth gaurd at Walmart in the sports section. Get one with no handle, or cut the handle off when you mold it to your teeth. Very cheep, about $2.00. If the dentist makes you one it will cost about $400.00.

I have had both because I have actually bitten them both in half, like turned in my mouth in my sleep or something. I know this is just one more "stress" thing I do and part of FM.

rrsbaby
  5. orachel

orachel New Member

...clenching together and meeting in the night! A "BITE GUARD" was mentioned in a response above by TCLUNA
    THANKS! Ever since NANGEE's post earlier/yestrday re: klonopin and clenching I've been wracking my brain to think of what something like that might be called!
    Great info!!

Does ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO GET A "BITEGUARD"?

DO I NEED A SCRIP FOR IT? MY SLEEP STUDY AND NEURO WORKUP ARE PROBABLY GOING TO HAVE TO BE SHEDULED WEEKS INTO FUTURE, EVEN THOUGH MY TERRIFIC DOC ORDERED THEM TODAY! YEAH! I'D RATHER NOT WAIT TILL THEN TO ADDRESS THIS IF I DON'T HAVE TO...PLUS, IF ELIMINATES EVEN SOME OF JAW PAIN DURING DAY THAT WOULD BE EXCELLENT!!!

UMMMMMM......AND WHEN I DO GET AHOLD OF A "BITE GUARD", AM I GONNA LOOK LIKE A FOOTBALL DUDE? NOT SURE IF WONDER HUBBY WOULD GET INTO THAT LOOK! LOL

Hugs and Health!!!
    Rachel

PS>>>> Any of you who've had a sleep study done (or not) take PROVIGIL? My doc gave to me yesterday, supposedly to increase energy and decrease pain, but info online says its used for narcolepsy? Any thoughts on this? Pos or Neg comments re: Provigil (200mg 1x per day).

[This Message was Edited on 09/20/2005]
  6. orachel

orachel New Member

In reference to sleepytime problems....

I'm gonna sound like a fruit loop here, but I'm determined to find out, so....

Does anyone else wake themselves or their spouse 1x (or more!) per night by SPEAKING VERY CLEAR, VERY LOUD sentences? This is totally flippin' me out! The crazy things I'm saying!!! Plus, it just contributes to the issues with waking 5-15x every night, which contributes to nutty pain and crazy fatigue...

The way this seems to happen (though its possible I'm wrong as I am in some stage of sleep thru most of it! LOL) is that I'm having a very vivid dream about something/anything. Toward during this "dream" I actually "TALK" to the characters in it, or sometimes try to reason with them! Totally wacky, right?! And if that isn't bad enough....Many of you who know me know that my Wonder Husband has just been terrific thru vast majority of this illness. And goodness knows, he's more loving and cool to our fluffy cat beastie then I am. I woke myself AND him up this morning screaming "JOSEPH!!(my hubby) YOU JUST CAN'T KICK THE DOG LIKE THAT!!!" ummmmmm...yeah....We don't have a dog. LOL And what worries me specifically is that, to me, it seems like I'm in the middle of these wacky wild kool-aid style dreams, and I "talk back" to them, and it seems as If I wake myself out of the dream with talking.

But aren't there many stages of sleep between dream state and waking? Does this mean I'm just skipping a bunch of stages? Oy. Guess I need to add sleep research to my LOOOOONG line of stuff to check out asap. But would ABSOLUTELY APPRECIATE knowing I'm not the only one doing this, or any info/data you happen to have on how I could possibly go instantly from dream stage (i know that's not really what its called....is it REM?) to awake.

And most awful thing of all....I woke Joseph with this insane-o sentence, and then had to try to convince the Wonder Husband that I didn't think (even subconsiously!) that he would ever really KICK A DOG!! And all this happened before 4:30 am.....Nuts, right?

Hugs & Health to all!
    Rachel
  7. Juloo

Juloo Member

You can go right from any stage of sleep to REM. One of the sleep studies I had showed I spent almost the whole night in just stages 1 and 2 and REM.

As far as talking, I should introduce you to my husband. The other night (while sleeping) he took his extra pillow and whacked me with it. He'd been dreaming that a large bug was trying to attack him.

And re: bite guards. You can get a really inexpensive one (boil and bite). That'll at least prevent you from damaging your teeth. I used one for years. But it probably won't do your TMJ any good. In fact, for me, it actually conditioned me to clench the masseter muscles, making the pain worse in the long run.

Yes, professionally-fitted guards can be expensive -- goodness knows it took me long enough to get one -- but considering the $1500 of dental bills I racked up fixing the teeth that I ground down or cracked before then, it would have been worth several times what it ended up costing.

My current guard is a NTI-TSS. Don't know what the NTI stands for. The TSS means 'tension suppression system'. It doesn't cover all my teeth. It just fits on the top/middle four. It prevent me from closing my mouth completely at night (leaves about 1/4" or less gap between top and bottom teeth) and therefore prevents the masseter from engaging and clenching.

I also do trigger point therapy and acupressure on my face/jaw area. Clair Davies' book has some wonderful instructions for the former -- just be warned...if you have TMJ problems, they hurt like HELL! (But if you do the exercises, you *will* get relief.)