Clonazepam or klonopin?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cherylsue, Jan 21, 2007.

1. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I thought I was taking klonopin, but my prescription says clonazepam. I just discovered this is generic. Should I insist that the pharmacy give me klonopin? What is the difference?

Your input is appreciated.

CherylSue
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think it was Cheney who said that the generics do not work as well as the name brand.

I've not found a huge amount of difference.

3. lv2sing

lv2sing New Member

& have had no problems w/ it. I sleep pretty well on it most days (unless I have napped too much throughout the day). I would just stick w/ the generic, plus you'll save $ in the long run...
    Hope this helps....Good luck :)
  4. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

I just checked out the side effects of klonopin and noticed that inflamed nasal and sinus passages were one of them. I started taking klonopin at the same time I came down with this cold. Some nights I didn't take it or cut back to .25 mg. I'm wondering now if my "cold" is lingering because of the klonopin. Sometimes my cold gets better and I think I'm over it. The next day it's back. It's been driving me crazy.

It's not a bad cold. Mucous is clear. Just drainage in the sinuses, not even in the nose,& slight stuffiness.

Hmmmm.

Thanks for your reponses.

CherylSue
    [This Message was Edited on 01/21/2007]
  5. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

On the brand of generic one takes. One generic works as well as the Klonopin for me and the other isn't quite as good. I'm trying to decide whether it's worth it to pay for the brand name.

I buy 90 at a time at Costco and the cost for the brand name is the same as 30 of the generic at Albertsons.

About the only way to know is to try different brands.

Love, Mikie
  6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

You may be right about one generic not being as good. There have been times when I've thought that Cheney might have a point, but the stuff I have now (for instance) seems to be fine.

Do you happen to know the generic product that wasn't as good?

I'm going to try to get together whatever clonazapam bottles I can find and see what the company names on them are.
  7. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

In teeny tiny letters underneath clonazepam it says Teva, USA. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

CherylSue
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

But it doesn't come in the 1 mg. tablet, only the .5 (or at least, Costco doesn't buy it). I can't remember the brand of the one which doesn't work as well.

Funny thing, with Synthroid, the brand name is just right for me but if I get the generic, because it absorbs better, I feel too wired on it.

I think we just have to try different things.

Love, Mikie
  9. balletdancer74

balletdancer74 New Member

Just to reiterate what some have already said, some generics work better than others. Often generic brands have fillers which is why people react poorly or don't react at all to the med. If a doctor tells you that a brand and generic drug are the same, that's not true. If that were true, than why have options like that?!? It's not just about money.

Nevertheless, if Clonazepam is working for you, stick with it as it's much cheaper than brand Klonopin. I can't take the generic as it's like I'm not taking anything. I can't take generic drugs in general...but that's just me and my bizarre body.

As someone mentioned, Teva Pharmaceuticals is I believe the largest generic drug company in the world. It's in Israel.

To better days!

Warmly,
    LB32 (Leeza)
  10. foxglove9922

foxglove9922 New Member

Hi CherylSue,

I have been taking clonazepam for a few years now. The generic brand I take is Mylan. I however have found that some fillers in some generics can cause problems.

I guess we're all a little different on how we react to different meds. I can understand your concerns with the timing of the cold and the clonazepam.

I went for about 3 weeks myself not long ago with a cold....just lingered and lingered. It seems like I get more frequent bugs (colds, bronchitis, stomach bugs) etc. since becoming ill with CFS and I have a tougher time shaking them.

I sincerely hope you find some relief soon. Are you still taking Sambucol. I find it helps in the beginning of a cold as means to try and side step it, however, once it becomes full blown, I discontinue.

Best wishes,

Foxglove
  11. BethW

BethW New Member

Dr. Cheney told me many yrs ago that he thought the generic did not work as well in Klonopin. That might have been patients' comments, not his. I could not tell the difference but could not afford the $50 co-pay we have now anyway. I rarely take it anymore except when I have the trembling/jerking muscle things, maybe three times a month. Last week the druggist told me they could not get the Teva generic anymore. I don't know what the new one is, but it can't be split (the .5mg) like the Teva could. The pill cutter could barely cut it because it is very thick and smaller. Are all of you still getting the Teva brand?
  12. cherylsue

cherylsue Member

Thanks for your responses. I think I'm just fighting a moderate cold longer than I would if I were well. I have the postnasal drip now, but my fatigue is greater than it was before I had the cold. I probably dropped from 45% to 35%.

As far as Clonazepam goes, it gives me next day sedation. I've divided the pills to .25 and take one when I go to bed and another when I wake up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break. Last night I only took .5mg melantonin.

Regardless, I think my sleeping has improved. However, daytime fatigue has not. I also have periods of malaise although not as awful as they were the first 6 months of this illness.

Foxglove Debi: I still take Sambucol, but it no longer works as well because I've been taking it so long. ProBoost and Sambucol helped me get through last school year without getting the cold/flu. I think we need to rotate our protocol, whatever that may be. Our bodies adjust.

Again, thanks for your input.

CherylSue
    [This Message was Edited on 01/22/2007]