closer to the source of the pain / let's talk sciatica

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bpmwriter, Dec 14, 2005.

1. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

hi all,

last week i saw a new doctor who performed some chiropractic adjustments on me. these were moves that the chiropractor i usually see has never done. they were "resistance" moves where he would hold my legs together and tell me to try to open them while he provided resistance. he mentioned that my "sacrum was tilted" and wanted me to report back next visit on whether the moves helped my back pain. well, my back and leg pain was completely gone for about 48 hours. i started on ultram per a prescription from him, which has short-circuited pain in other parts of my body (chest, jaw), but the back and leg pain has returned. i'm recognizing this pain to be distinct and separate from the fibro pain, which the ultram helps. i've also noticed that i experience pain in my buttocks during bowel movements (the ultram makes me constipated). so ...i'm starting to suspect sciatica and/or pyrofromis syndrome from a spill i took on my tailbone last year. for those who have sciatica or pyroformis problems, what gives you relief? i'm assuming i need to find a good physical therapist because i'm starting to believe this back injury is keeping the rest of my body from healing. i suspect nerve entrapment. has anyone healed from these conditions? i think i could manage the fibro if i had this aggravating factor under control.

eddie
  2. lovethesun

lovethesun New Member

I have straight up Fibro and am on disability.Before we knew what it was my therapist had me do thoses and I went into a big Flare.I hope you feel better.Linda
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

From accidents in my past, I've had lots of back/hip pain & sciatica. I did chiropractic/acupuncture, etc., etc. for years, but nothing ever "stuck", and I tried several different types of treatments.

Until I get my brainwaves "balanced", this is what I do for sciatica.........there's a chinese herb called Solitary Hermit that takes it away, and then I put "spot" magnets on the "hot" spots. I also use a magnetic belt & arnica gel, along w/massage.

But I've been doing this for years, so I know it's always a temporary fix. Just "know" it's my "brain"!!

LIGHT********carole
  4. Fudge43

Fudge43 New Member

eddie .. 12 years ago I had a herniated disc in my lower back(L4 and 5) .. lived with it for a year .. nothing like that pain .. the doctors constantly TALKED surgery till it got to the point that they said I would lose the use of my left leg if the nerve was damaged any more than it was .. into the hospital .. orthopedic surgeon worked in tandem with the nuero surgeon .. they were both shocked at the extent of the nerve entrapment .. I am VERY lucky I didn't lose the use of my leg .. it was a hard recovery but I was determined .. my lower spine was stabilized with 4 screws and a bone graft from my right hip (that hurt almost as much as the sciatic nerve problem) .. but I'm doing well considering the neuro said I would most likely herniate more discs in my back by now .. so I am CAREFUL !!
    I understand your pain .. get it identified and managed as fast as possible !
    Good Luck !
    Fudge : )
  5. tansy

tansy New Member

in my case with several contributing factors, having a hypermobility syndrome has not helped. A gyn told me last year structural problems in my spine and pelvic girdle, along with muscle weakness, accounted for much of the radicular and pelvic pain but that I also had a migraine of the pelvis.

Most of the PT I was given made matters worse, even chiro could aggravate it. Thanks to making progess I have been able to regain some muscle bulk and strength in my lower back, pelvis, and thighs. I am using different exercises which by pass the problem of rapid onset muscle fatigue which still remains despite general improvements.

Getting my inflammation under control, reducing my pathogen load, lowering my fibrinogen levels with alternatives helped a lot and seems to have worked for the "migraine" in my pelvis too.

Good luck.

love, Tansy [This Message was Edited on 12/14/2005]
  6. laura81655

laura81655 New Member

My Chiro helps me with this. I can tell when my Sacroilliac joint is out and he can adjust this. You need to get on a good stretching program for your lower back, exercise, walk,or Aquatic if you are able to keep the muscles toned. I know, easier said than done...

Laura
  7. justonemoreday

justonemoreday New Member

sound like you're on the right path IMHO you have 2 problems, pyroformis is possible there is a test in fact 2 tests check the net, they are movement tests, it could be this. you had trauma, now you have FM messing with the trauma, the tendons and muscle fibers are in pain mode and overworked mode because they are injured and FM. if you can isolate the ends of the injured or sore muscles near the surrounding the nerve site being affected then they can treat it with injections and massaging. same treatment for the pyroformis muscle. your out of alignment because muscles are tighten up and pulling you over. do you have a good pelvic tilt? try seeing a OD and not just any doctor. Thant's my 2 cents.
  8. KingNeptune11

KingNeptune11 New Member

Eddie.......I am a chiropractor with CFS, I am not sure what your "problem" could be, without looking at you......but here is my advice.......If you had a distinct fall on your tailbone, that is a very common way to aggravate the "pelvic complex" and eventually the sciatic nerve, if gone un-treated......First of all, "resistance adjustments" are not the best protocol to fix a sciatic problem, in my opinion....You may experience some short term relief, but until you align the Sacro-iliac joints and address the L4-L5 region, I dont think you can be healed long term.......

My biggest suggestion to people is to "shop around" to other chiropractors, because there are so many different techniques and "skill levels" in chiropractic.......Most chiropractors will accept your X-rays and exams from your original chiro, so there would not be additional costs, other than the adjustment.......Personally, I would look for a Palmer Graduate, because they teach the most diverse techniques in my opinion......Its a long shot, but if you let me know where you live, I can possibly give you the name of someone in the area I can recommend.......Let me know if I can help.........John
  9. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i live in palm harbor, florida. west central part of the state near clearwater / tampa. the fall on my tailbone was pretty bad. i was on a beach, my feet went straight up in the air and my butt landed on a rock. it was bruised for several days, then seemed to be ok. x-rays of the area don't indicate a fracture. it was months later when the low back pain spread into my legs. i would love a referral if you know someone competent in the area. the back is such a sensitive area and you're right, it's hard to gauge the competency of doctors in the spine business. i like the chiro i'm seeing right now, but i don't know if she's being aggressive enough in getting to the roots of my problem. do you believe then that a good chiropractor is the best person to be consulting about this? i was thinking about asking my principal care for a referral to a physical therapist. i guess in some respects a physical therapist and chiro are one and the same?? thanks for any advice you can provide.

justonemoreday, did you mean to say a D.O.? O.D. is a doctor of optometry, i believe. the doctor i'm currently seeing is a D.O. (osteopath).

eddie[This Message was Edited on 12/14/2005]
  10. KingNeptune11

KingNeptune11 New Member

Eddie, let me take a look at my directory, I will get back with you tonight........I am not big on Osteopath's, as far as adjusting a back, but they are quality doctors nonetheless......I dont take sides between MD's, DO's, or Chiropractors......they all do certain things well......Most of the complaining between doctors is due to money control and protecting their "turf".....which is just silly in my opinion........Physical therapists do good work too, but your problem seems more "structural" than muscular, so I wouldnt go to a PT at this point.......You really need to get a "quality adjustment", to relieve the pressure off the nerve, which is causing your leg pain........Give me a few hours and I will get back with you.......John
  11. bpmwriter

bpmwriter New Member

i just found a palmer graduate located near me, Dr. Russell T. Janssen - heard of him?

eddie
  12. evie9513

evie9513 New Member

With true sciatica, it hurts to bend over or stretch those muscles. with fibro, it has been my experience that in physical therapy, heat and stretching feel good.
    i know people with sciatica and they cannot do that without pain where as many of us can. of course there is also the possibility that you have both which of course could be confusing. my fibro flares are killers to my bladder, back, legs etc often mimicking a UTI but always testing negative. I can't tell the difference unless i have a urine culture so you can see how other complications can be like a stew of ailments and hard as heck to weed out. each of us have a different cycle and often differnt ailments that are also heaped on us.
    but i was told by my doctor that if i had sciatica (i had asked for a numbing shot in the nerve) I couldnt bend like I am..........heck, I hurt like heck laying on the bed but not stretching......go figure.
  13. KingNeptune11

KingNeptune11 New Member

That's who I was going to suggest, he was the only Palmer graduate I could find in your area.......Since that is the school I attended, I can promise you he is well-educated.....Palmer is known for being the best "technique school".........I would give him a try......

The main thing is this Eddie, you should notice a good improvement in the first 2 weeks, or after 3-5 adjustments, if you dont, then you are in the wrong office.......Sciatic leg pain should heal from a deep aching pain, to a diffuse, dull pain, and then to a tingling, intermittent pain.....That is the way a nerve heals......If the leg pain is not getting better after 3 or 4 treatments, then I would go to a different chiropractor......It should take 4-6 weeks for you to heal, if treated properly......so you may need to get 10-15 treatments, depending how bad the injury and how fast you heal as a person.......I would give that chiropractor a try and then get back to me with your results.......I will help you any way I can.......Have a good one......John.......

I generally wont recommend physical therapy unless someone has been in a car accident or has a sports injury, that needs muscle rehab.......You dont want to go through physical therapy with nerve pain, you will only aggravate the injury until its corrected.........
  14. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

I had low back pain, not sure whether it was sciatica, that was very much related to trigger points in my pyroformis muscles. I do not think there was any nerve entrapment. I do not have FM or significant spinal degeneration. For me, a massage therapist and physical therapist who know myofascial release were very helpful. I don’t know that I am completely healed, but I am able to keep the pain lever from mild to none. My chiropractor taught me some stretches and exercises. My PT taught me how to work on the trigger points, which seem to recur, with a small ball.

Incidentally, myofascial constriction is cumulative over a lifetime. Your most recent fall could have been ‘the straw that broke the camel’s back’, so to speak. My PT was very interested in the fact that I grew up on a farm and rode horses most of my life. She wanted a history of all of my falls, from horses, trees, etc., since I was a child. I just laughed and told her “When you are a child a fall doesn’t ‘count’ unless you break a bone or get a concussion. I never broke a bone and received only one concussion, so I have no idea how many falls I took.”