closing eye,s

Discussion in 'Ask the Doctor' started by 11charliboy, Jul 19, 2014.

1. 11charliboy

11charliboy Member

I,ve had parkinson since i was 47 yeas old im now 61 i stumbled on one of your forum they where talking about having a hard time to keep there eye,s open it start s by a lot of blinking., for me it starts when my parkinson medication start s to wear of [livatopa] by tackin that medication half an hour after my eyes are wide open . having those eye problem is worst than the chaking.My sister dont have parckinson and when she talk,s to some one here eye,s keep closing,good this be somthing that run,s in the famelly.
  2. Soul*

Soul* Well-Known Member

I'm no docter but I saw so many people read your post and noone replied that I did a search to see what would come up. If you search on Parkinson eyes closing you will find more information. This is a snippet of what I found:

Are your eyes closing uncontrollably?

It is not common for people with Parkinson’s disease to experience involuntary closure of the eyes, but it does occur in some cases. This phenomenon has been referred to asblepharospasm, pronounced ['blef-a-ro-spaz-m'
    “Blepharo” refers to the eyelid, and “spasm” is defined as an uncontrollable muscle contraction.

If you are experiencing involuntary eye closure, it is important to see an ophthalmologist first. There are many conditions that can cause involuntary eye closure, and these conditions are not related to Parkinson’s disease. They include:

• an inflammatory eye condition due to an infection or an allergy
    • dry eyes
    • damage to the surface of the eye
    • ptosis (A person’s eyelid appears to be “drooping.” It can be caused by muscle weakness, nerve damage, or looseness of the eyelid skin. This is often associated with normal aging.)
    • other conditions
    If the ophthalmologist determines that the aforementioned conditions do not account for the eye closure, the next step for patients is to see their neurologist to determine whether their PD medications are optimized. The involuntary eye closure may or may not be related to doses of PD medications (Optimizing your medications refers to a process in which you and your doctor work to find the medication regimen from which you derive the greatest benefit).

Hope you will find the information you need, good luck!