CNBC Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by therealmadscientist, Nov 14, 2008.

1. therealmadscientist

therealmadscientist New Member

(First prize is only "half a million" with the rest divided among other winners)

Anyway, I just signed up, but haven't started any of the five stock portfolios allowed and I'm still learning how it works. It may be limited to USA citizens, but maybe can get a USA friend to play for you.

Seems very legitimate, and no entry investment required, so why not? I figure.

The winner in the last Challenge was a waitress in Omaha who had never invested in stocks one doesn't have to be a stock wizard to compete.

Something to be interested in the next 10 weeks (a major prize(s)) given every week).

Starts Monday Nov 17th though I think can join later.

(Oh, I'll try not to win all the prize your mr Bill
    [<i>This Message was Edited on 11/14/2008</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2008]
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

win, Mr. Bill. Tell me the site, and I'll go there and vote for you.

3. therealmadscientist

I was hoping you would register and win Rock. No voting in this contest.......just stock picking and maybe currency trading.

I'm not real clued into stock markets nowadays, so I may do a strategy wherein I just pick a stock for each portfolio and let ride for ten weeks. I don't know much about currency markets so I may not play with that money.

I may pick stocks that have lost 95% of value and hope for "hail mary" rescue to come along and double price of stock.

Just put in CNBC million dollar portfolio challenge and register and pick your stock portfolios. Good luck, your mr Bill

[<i>This Message was Edited on 11/16/2008</i>]
    [This Message was Edited on 11/16/2008]
  4. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

thing I know about the stock market is that it goes up and down. When I was a kid we were taught there would never be another great depression because the government has various safety measures in place.

So now we can all stop worrying.

5. therealmadscientist

I so glad we can trust our leaders and financiers! So silly of me to worry. Cheers, Mr Bill
  6. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Mr. Bill,

That looks like a really fun game. I think Ford, GM and Chrysler will perform outstandingly (yes, that's a word now) as well as any luxury type of company. HA! ;-)

Who knows, maybe we'll win some moolah or at least have fun trying.

Have a happy/healthy day!

7. therealmadscientist

Wiped out in first three days of contest! I bought a day to soon. Maybe in a couple months will recover. At least I have have 4 more portfolios to gamble with.

(Ninety Nine cent Only Store is the only stock that I've found that I would put real money into right now:)

Cheers, your mr Bill
  8. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Sorry you got wiped out so soon, but I'm impressed you signed up and got started so quickly. There's so many stocks/companies to choose from (many of which I've never heard of before), I'm having a hard deciding what to pick. And hey, you still have 4 portfolios left!

This is such a wacky market, I don't know how any stock is making money right now. Hang in there; one of your other portfolios could be a winner!

9. Didoe

Didoe New Member

you got to take a break from those bunsen burners bud...i'm semi addicted to cnbc and during the early market crashes weeks ago was glued watching talking heads on our markets and fell asleep waiting for the nikkei to open and what direction those markets were going...1/3 of my pension is gone..and probably not end of losses.

i ditched all US stocks, kept some global equities which are also being hit hard, but here's my theory, layperson that I am...i think emerging markets are still the place to invest...look at what's going on here--one indicator every talking head was joking about were the 3 car giants sending execs to washington to beg and flew them in on private corporate jets--the people that make $$ decisions, dont 'get it' yet,
    second is no one is being truthful and calling this mess what it is-- because they want to 'protect' corporate business and the american psyche--heaven forbid the 2 car/unaffordable mortgage/big screen HDTV/take out-order in/charge it all lifestyle is interrupted with a reality check and everyone has to go back to living on what they earn rather than what they dream of earning and cant afford.

every greedy fool accusing banks for suckering them into mortgages and buying homes 'they couldnt afford' are where they deserve to be--you cant earn $35K and buy a ARM home on a wish and giants watching the american public buying tiny imports for years and continuing to create gas slugging monster like hummers...asking for bailouts

so as i step off my soapbox, i'm just telling you that the cnbc boys are so short circuited from the stock mess, they're asking citizens to make stock picks--they're picking the brains of the public to see what to buy, invest in and sell...i guawantee they dont knonw cwapola what to do...btw, this is not a recession....this is a depression to now formally match the mental depression and anxiety plaguing many of us for years...wiat until those poor soldiers start coming back and find nothing waiting for them...the sh*t will really hit the fans
  10. therealmadscientist

Which sounds a lot better than it really is.

The gold stock portfolio is up about a quarter million!! Unfortunately, a few people have over $2 million in their portofolios, so a long way to go.

(No point in mentioning the other portfolios:)

Cheers, mr Bill