CNN 1 in 4 Americans

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Didoe, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Didoe

Didoe New Member

Paula Zahn at 8:50pm citing studies:
    "1 in 4 Americans with serious problems have no family or friends they can reach out to"

This was said regarding an 'epidemic of loneliness' and aloneness and the thousands (likely millions) of people seeking simple friendship online boards like Utube, Myspace etc.

1 in 4
    We still have the same pressures, hold the same expectations and values and try to meet them under these circumstances.

Its no wonder illnesses like FM are exploding.
  2. IntuneJune

IntuneJune New Member

I agree with Stovetop.

Some of the folks I reach out to....only compound the problem with either disbelief or ignorance.

June
  3. confetti11

confetti11 Member

I see the point. It doesn't help when you're tryting to recover from illness and you have no support.
  4. TXFMmom

TXFMmom New Member

The context was that Americans are becoming more and more isolated, and have fewer friends due to busy, hectic lives, and we sit behind computers instead of meeting people, etc.

Just kidding.

It did say that many Americans, due to smaller families and hectic lives and other reasons, including those who become ill and no longer can sustain friendships or family contacts do not have a support system of friends and family.

Let's face it, once you become ill, it is easier for friends and family to slip away from being involved.
  5. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

Just having a chronic illness in some ways isolates a person due to others not knowing what it's like to deal with this sort of thing. Even if your "support system" is the best in the world no one can really understand what it's like to wake up in the morning when you have CFS unless they've been there. I'm hitting my three year anniversary and I still wake up every morning and think "Wow, this is unbelievable." I feel like I'm on the other side of a glass wall from those who don't have CFS.

To those who say stress cannot cause these illnesses I don't know how one can know that. One might contend that the virus that took you down was able to do so due to some concurrent stress on your system. Could have been another virus or bacteria, a genetic predisposition, or even, although I know we are not supposed to say it here, good old fashioned stress -- like financial stress or family stress. You cannot know for sure that your body was not under some sort of stress when you caught the virus. And that that stress caused your body not to be able to put that virus in its place. True, it's hard for the medical community to deal with viruses but not so the human body on a good day.

Anyway, "stress" is a very broad general term. Virtually anything at all can be a "stressor" given the right circumstances.

At any rate, illness is isolating, that's for sure. It is shown in study after study that isolation can contribute to illness or lack of healing. It's a vicious circle.

How to break it? How to reach out and through this isolation and/or accept it with equanimity? It is reassuring in some way to know we are not alone in our aloneness, to take it to the ironic conclusion.

6. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Hi Didoe :)

I take your post for what I believe the news people intended it to convey and that is:

"1 in 4 Americans with serious problems have no family or friends they can reach out to"

This was said regarding an 'epidemic of loneliness' and aloneness and the thousands (likely millions) of people seeking simple friendship online boards."

I am one of these people. I am probably addicted to online support. I use to be ashamed of it, and my wife is not necessarily accepting of it. It is like therapy for me, and I suspect many more.

It is hard for the healthy people of the real world to understand. I may not feel like ironing or cleaning, but I do feel like sitting in my computer room, which I have decorated, lol, and reading about and talking to my friends.

Mushy Andy :)
  7. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Wow Gal, you are the only human to adress me directly today, lol. Thank you.

Yes I read the last sentence but chose to write about what has really been on my mind.

"Another Saturday Night and I Ain't Got Nobody....I Got Some Money Cause I Just Got Paid", ha ha ha. You are way to young to remember that song.

I hope you have a good Saturday night. I'll send you a rose. See my bio. Proud of my rose, lol.

Andy
  8. Piperlilly

Piperlilly New Member

Hmmmm...I'm thinking that everyone in this life has stress and some people deal with it better than others, some are stronger genetically, everyone is different. I think stress is one of many factors that affect our bodies, and in my case, I was diagnosed with the flu and pneumonia, then I became really sick after I got another virus and haven't been able to recover. Before this, I had rarely been sick in my life. During the 3 years before I became ill I had never been happier. Since I've had this DD I am the most depressed on days when I feel the worst and I do not connect with people because I am sick and don't have the stamina to do it. This is what I know about myself. So basically I agree with stovetop.
  9. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

just keep an open mind though, I believe that stress, prolonged bad stress especially, lonliness and expectation of being perfect certainly do affect our being. It affects our immune systems which then pick up illness and viruses much more easily. Isnt there a saying happy people are healthy people! Oh well just my way of thinking

take care
    love, hugs and white healing light
    Connie
  10. Piperlilly

Piperlilly New Member

I know stress can affect us. But I also believe there are "mega viruses" or new bacterial strains that very few of us can fight off on our own or without major help and that's what I think I am fighting. I'm one the the patients taking the valcyte and I hope it is strong enough to help me heal. I know I'm on the right path. Diet and supplements have helped, but have not been near enough.
  11. Engel

Engel New Member

I just hate that I cannot do anything.
  12. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Hello Stovey :)

I use to garden, but I can't manage that nowadays. The previous homeowner planted this rose. I just photographed it, lol.

I do keep the yard up and that is tough. I always procrastinate.....

I no longer see that doctor. He was totally preoccupied with religious study. I am religious myself to some degree, and my doctors are I hope, but I would wish that they would be studying changes and advances in their field, during some of their spare time..

Shucks I wish you much better luck with your plants! I was trying to think of a hearty indoor plant that is hard to clobber, lol but I can't right now :(

Check my pic again ok?

Thanks for the note,

Andy

13. harmony21

harmony21 New Member

Yes i believe that a possiblilty too, but there are so many theories which one do we take on board. Guess we have to try each one and see if it makes a difference.
    Theories are virus, stress, malfunction of adrenal glad, thyroid etc
    Am having a bad day today very brainfogged and disoriented, think will have to go back to bed, so sorry for the ramble......
    Hope someone finds which the right path to take comes sooner than later, this is not good, I feel like Iam going to die, a long slow death, the upside of that at least no pain and sleeeep
    Have great day
    love n hugs
    Connie