CNN HN. FMS on Webmd says FMS higher cancer risk

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by garyandkim, Jun 3, 2003.

1. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

I was jsut watching CNN's Headline news when the ticker thing poped up saying that Fibromyalgia people have a higher cancer risk on Webmd. Has anyone read the report? We haven't yet but, will. Just another thing we have to make sure we all check out. I know that I am being watched for cancer due to pre cancer signs. The first doc I saw about it said, know worry and then I saw the head of urology and he did testing and I am glad I got a second opion.

Take care, Kim

Just checked it out an the title is Body pain linked to higher cancer rates. I put in the search Fibromyalgia + cancer. Study done in UK I believe.[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2003]

At the least Fibromyalgia got press.[This Message was Edited on 06/04/2003]
  2. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

3. starstella

starstella New Member

Newsletter had a small article stating this. I don't have time to look up the article now, but will do so this evening. Don't we have enough on our plates without this also.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

There are four types of cancer which FMS'ers seem to get at a higher rate. I can never remember which ones, but non-Hodgkins lymphoma is one of them.

There is a lot of research into the role of pathogens in cancer. Seems like a lot of us have chronic viral and/or bacterial infections, also fungal infections. I tend to believe that these are infections of opportunity which may have triggered our illnesses. I still believe our genetic makeup plays a strong role too.

This is why I believe we need to get our chronic infections under control if we stand any chance of healing.

Love, Mikie
  5. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Hi Kim,
    I don't know if that is true if FMers have a higher rate of cancer or not. But many people with CFS/FM need coral calcium to make their bodies more alkaline. According to Bob Barefoot, cancer can not live in an alkaline environment and most people's bodies are too acidic. I feel much better from the coral calcium as I used to have acidosis.

Love, Jasmine
  6. klutzo

klutzo New Member

Almost all Americans eat a too acid diet, not just us. Our diet is exactly the opposite of healthy. Americans generally eat a diet that is about 85% acid, when it should be 85% alkaline to be healthy. having said that , your body works hard to keep your Ph within a narrow range, because if it didn't you would die, and right now. We could all use some more salads and other raw fruits and veggies. It would go a long way to helping make us more alkaline, and calcium does not hurt, of course. For those who like figs, they are the most alkaline food on the planet...so enjoy!
    As I understand it, we are 3 times more prone to cancer in general, probably due to the TH2 immune system activation, which takes away from protection on the TH1 side of immunity, which is where cancer is defended against. I saw a study in which our NK (natural killer) cells were presented with cancer cells and did nothing to stop them. Scary.
    The four cancers that we get at much higher rates are: Salivary gland cancer, Burkett's lymphoma, myoglioblastoma, and non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. We get the last one at at astonishing rate of 40 times the general population.
    Klutzo
  7. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

Thanks, Kim
  8. garyandkim

garyandkim New Member

9. aching

aching New Member

People with Sjogrens syndrome also have a 40 times higher rate of non-hodgkins lymphoma.I had cervical carcinoma-in-situ at 40 that developed very quickly and I had no risk factors like herpes infection that is usually a precurser.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/05/2003]