CNN - Interesting Little News Item

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Mikie, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I don't know about all y'all, but I have been feeling like I'm in a malaise. It started with 9-11 and continues with all this waiting for war and the political goings on at the U.N.

CNN just had a news item on it and compared our malaise with having chronic pain. They said it just wears the body down. People are edgy.

Perhaps those of us who suffer chronic pain and fatigue are even more at risk for suffering from malaise, depression, and anxiety right now. I personally don't want to start taking any more pills, but despite my normally optimistic outlook, I am feeling depressed and anxious about the future.

I keep thinking, "if I can just hang in there...," but it just drags on and on. I would bet that this world situation is affecting others here in the same manner. Geez, if it's affecting healthy people and CNN is doing a news blurb on it, it's got to be affecting us even worse.

I am praying that we will have a safe and peaceful world.

Love, Mikie
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Was when the narrator compared this malaise with chronic pain. Seems the "healthy" population is suffering from the same psychological and physical reaction to the stress of world affairs the same as we suffer stress from our chronic pain. I wonder whether this will be the stress that pushes more predisposed people into immune illnesses.

This has made me realize that I need to get back to my healthy way of seeing things despite what is going on around me that I cannot effect. I will be using more prayer and meditation and trying to distract myself with much needed chores around here.

Love, Mikie
  3. ohmyaching

ohmyaching New Member

I don't think you can have too much prayer and it's something everyone can do. Pray for a peaceful solution to the problems in the Mid East.
  4. nefran5

nefran5 New Member

I saw a similar news clip on a different broadcast and wondered about the stress on persons already in ill health. I know I've had a sudden crash... ...I feel so bad about the Middle East situation. I can't feel sorry for myself when I have it so good in the safety of my own home. Maybe we all could concentrate on putting out some good vibes, prayers, stillness and meditation...
  5. Ellie

Ellie New Member

My husband is in the military and it's getting tough. I started to replant my garden yesterday. New things that have a good end result would be good for anyone to do. Just little things. We need to keep the positives in order to get through all of this. Love and Aloha Ellie Ps My fears are I am having to have surgery in a military hospital which scares me.
  6. LITEFLAMES

LITEFLAMES New Member

Mike I'll tell ya I set down for a little brake , as i was singing on ,I thought DAM What the hell ,I just turned 40 sun, I;m taking my antidepprent's ,Thears no way the day after my birthday ,(I sudingly need a higher Mg)
    then i opened you message , Our lord sertinly work's throw people , place's & things ,, well i do fill releaved!!!!!!!!
    It didn't dawn on my the world event's could be making me blue , deprresed ,, i thought i was becuse , i'm out of
    smoke lololo, ,,, Well thankyou
    cindy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2003]
  7. griswoldgirl

griswoldgirl New Member

I have been in a rut for a while now. I suffer from clinical depression and had to switch meds since 9-11. I also have had three knee surgeries since Sept which has contributed to it. I got fired from my job and so did my hubby right at Chritmas and the list goes on--we are on the upswing now. I am rehabing well and doing my exercises and my husband is working again-------still there is an overlying feeling of doom.

i need to put my nose in the books and study for my boards to get registered before I go back to work as an ultrasound tech if I want a good job and I cannot seem to make myself study and when I do it does not stick. then if I wake up and turn on the tube it is all over--I will watch tv forever.

I saw another interesting news report on 20/20 talking about the boom in the SUV's sales due to people wanting to feel they are ready for anything with war hanging over our heads. It included a lot of interviews with SUV owners and they all admited they bought them to feel safer.

It is tough times we are in and I agree with you. I think we may feel it more. I have sensitivity issues ie-lights, noise, commotion when I am in a flare these things "hurt" and I seem to have hightened sensitivity now for a long time.

Good thread, take care

cathy
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Until I saw that news clip that we have all been under tremendous pressure since 9-11, healthy and ill alike. Unfortunately for us, we are already suffering from stress-induced problems from our illnesses.

It does help me to know that there is a reason that I have just stopped being productive and feel so fatigued and edgy. I think when we can identify the source of our problems, we can deal with them better, whether or not we can effect a particular outcome.

Love, Mikie
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I've seen a couple of news clips featuring Iraqi families trying to cope with what may be coming. It is heartbreaking to watch. It puts a face on the people who have suffered so from this regime and who may suffer more under wartime conditions. I pray for them and for us.

Love, Mikie
  10. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

Mikie,
    I understand what you are saying completely. I went into relapse for about 6 months from my personal 911 situation. Our health is weak and so sensitive, it is hard for us to deal with the stress of world events.

My husband loves to watch CNN and MSNBC constantly and it makes me nervous and anxious. I don't want to stick my head in the sand but it is much healthier and relaxing for me not to watch the news and read the newspapers. I like what Andrew Weil says about taking a newsbreak for a month. I did that several years ago and I was very mellow.

I pray for peace.

Love, Jasmine
  11. WendyC

WendyC New Member

I've become a news junkie and its not good. This potential war has me very anxious for a lot of reasons. My students and former students would be fighting it. Its like when you're in a bad marriage and can't make a decision about what to do. I'm on the fence on this and not because I don't have opinions, its just because its not clear cut, like WWII. War is the worst thing to happen to people, but do our leaders know something that we don't? This waiting is horrible, just like our illness. Can't a cure be found for both?

Love

WendyC
    [This Message was Edited on 03/11/2003]
  12. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I think that, no matter what our various political leanings are (and they will be as different as our symptoms are!) we are all living under a cloud of uncertainty right now that has to affect all aspects of our lives, definitely our health. There's a kind of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" feeling.....

I'm glad Mikie & others saw this article, gives us another opportunity to remember to be here for one another, and try to be supportive during these tough times---I'm very thankful for the support & reassurance I get here, when there are things I can't always control in my health or the world......

Hugs,
    Pam