CNN story.Girl in pain put in coma.Did U see it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by keke466, Sep 8, 2006.

1. keke466

keke466 New Member

Saw this on Paula Zahn's CNN show. I didn't see the very beginning but got in when they were talking about a teenage girl in chronic pain and couldn't find a reason. Dr sent her to Germany hospital where they practice this I guess. Put her in a coma for 5 days and I'm not sure if I heard them say they gave her any kind of meds but she had iv's so I'm sure she had fliuds and I think she had a feeding tube. But anyway when they woke her up all her pain was gone. I believe he called her pain-reflex sympathetic dystrophy.
    Never heard of it. Too bad we can't do that. LOL..Be nice if it was that easy wouldn't it.

Keke
  2. sleepyinlalaland

sleepyinlalaland New Member

and it makes so much sense to me.

On long-past previous posts it was discussed that a coma-state could be curative for one with these conditions.

To me it seems very logical. It's creepy and weird to say we may be wired that similarly to computers but I think that's a valid anology.

I think some of us could seriously benefit from "rebooting". Unplug (coma), then reconnect. Maybe all the scrambled signals would self-correct.

With my luck, I probably wouldn't reconnect (recussitate) at all, but I truly believe it could be very helpful to be put in a supervised coma. Maybe this is one answer.
  3. gidgetsmom

gidgetsmom New Member

I"d be willing to try it!!!!
  4. bcn

bcn New Member

On the neorologytoday section of the rsd website I saw this article about treating pain from RSD with drug induced coma. Looks like we are going to have a study done in the US. Maybe this will result in some hope for us to get our bodies reset.

KETAMINE TREATMENT REGIMEN
    To date, he said, 30 patients have been treated by the German physicians, led by Ralph-Thomas Kiefer, MD, and Peter Rohr, MD, of Eberhard-Karls University in the city of Tuebingen. Treatment is initiated by bolus injections of ketamine (0.5 mg/kg) and midazolam (2.5-5 mg) until deep sedation is reached. Therapy is maintained with infusions of ketamine (3-7 mg/kg/h) and midazolam (0.15-0.3 mg/kg/h) over five days. On the fifth day infusions are slowly tapered.

So far, nine of the 30 patients have experienced complete and permanent remission from their previously intransigent symptoms, Dr. Schwartzman said. Of the remaining 21 patients, all of whom had at least a partial remission, seven were entirely pain-free for six to seven months, after which the pain slowly returned, he said. Ten of the patients are now being treated by Dr. Schwartzman with subanesthetic doses of ketamine in an attempt to boost the initial effect.
    Side effects, Dr. Schwartzman said, have been minimal. Patients do experience hallucinations, he said. We try to prevent this by giving the patient midazolam and clonidine when they are in a coma. Some patients have experienced weight loss, abnormal appetite, and abnormal sweating for up to a month. There have been no severe complications. Pneumonia developed in five of the 30 patients, and kidney infections in six, but all responded to treatment. Detailed psychological tests performed in 15 of the 30 patients before and after treatment have shown no change of mental function, he added.

A paper he has co-authored with the German researchers on their results has been rejected by one journal and submitted to another, Dr. Schwartzman said. We're going to have a h*ll of a time getting it published, he said. The journal editors want a double-blind controlled series. You can't do that with coma.

FIRST US STUDY APPROVED
    Although he has not yet employed the procedure himself, Dr. Schwartzman will be collaborating on the first US study of the technique, which has just been approved by the institutional review board at Tampa General Hospital in Florida. The study will be led by Anthony F. Kirkpatrick, MD, Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine and Director of the Pain Management Center at the University of South Florida in Tampa.

I see between 200 and 300 new patients with RSD each year, Dr. Kirkpatrick said. I probably see more than anybody else in the world now. I've referred so many patients for the treatment in Germany that it reached a point where I had to prove it to myself, using our standards of scientific proof.

The study will involve up to 10 patients with advanced disease that affects multiple limbs, and is progressing despite other treatments. Three patients will initially be treated with ketamine-induced coma, after which a safety monitoring board will review the results.

If the safety factors look acceptable, said Dr. Kirkpatrick, we'll do seven more. The cost to each patient will be $25,000, slightly less than the estimated $30,000 in total costs for patients traveling to Germany, he said.

[This Message was Edited on 09/09/2006]
  5. cjcookie

cjcookie New Member

put him into a drug induced coma so he could live through the first most painful days of his problem. After they put him into the coma, his girlfriend signed papers for him to have surgery to remove part of his muscle. He still had pain.

I think the theory behind the girl they sent to germany was some kind of reset thing. I'm not sure how it worked. I read about it but I forgot.
  6. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

That is what you are referring to. I believe that Paula Abdul (sp?) has it. They say she got it from that accident she was in when she was a popular artist.

I hope that this girl is going to be OK. We all know how bad chronic pain is.

Stephanie
  7. I like that idea "I think some of us could seriously benefit from "rebooting". Unplug (coma), then reconnect. Maybe all the scrambled signals would self-correct"
  8. OWWEE

OWWEE New Member

Before I had a diagnosis, I did have a surgery with general anesthesia, and I have to say my pain was relieved for a short period of time after that.
  9. blueski31717

blueski31717 New Member

I am not sure about being put to sleep for that period of time. That would mean giving up total control of your life for that specific time not to mention if something went wrong and they couldn't bring you out of the coma..hmm not sure.
  10. bcn

bcn New Member

Not sure how I feel about it. Seems dangerous.

I did have some toning down of my symptoms for a few months after surgery as well, but the surgery itself was long and slow to get over and once I did my dd came back with extra.

Wonder if it is all connected?