CO-Enzyme Q10

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by hahaha, Aug 10, 2005.

1. hahaha

hahaha New Member

Well I've had this supplement for a while now but have been too afraid to start it for fear of some nasty herx reaction, but my energy is particularly low today so I thought I'd give it a try.

I was a little concerned to see my co q10 contains soya bean oil which is a highly oxidisable lipid but I guess the CO Q10 itself being an antioxidant counteracts that.

Anyway to those that use this what dose do you take? My capsules are 30mg each but the bottle says take just one a day. Is this enough?

Cheers
  2. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

I read that the research dose is 400mg. I took it some time back and it is a bit expensive, especially at that dose. I stopped it to see if I could notice a difference (it is supposed to me for energy) and did not, so I stopped, but I know people here that take it and swear by it. Nothing works for everyone, unfortunately.

Sonya
  3. TMBFibro

TMBFibro New Member

I did a paper on co-enzyme Q10 ten years ago and from what I remember, it is also suppose to be good for your heart. We sell it where I work and it can be quite expensive. I would talk to your doctor and see what dosage is best for you.
    [This Message was Edited on 08/10/2005]
  4. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

5. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

I took bio quinone co enzyme Q10 from Pharma Nord in 1996 - I took 3 x 30mg a day and it did help me for a good few months then it didnt seem to help anymore. I may have been heading for the major relapse I had in 97 anyway.

It cost me £28 a month at that time and it was too expensive for me.

I have never tried it since because of the price.

Hope it helps you.

Rosie
  6. hopeful4

hopeful4 New Member

Natural Factors makes a CoQ10 without soy. It has 20 IU Vit. E, and rice bran oil for absorption. I buy 60 capsules, 200 mg. for $42. at iHerb online. I take 2 caps/once per day. Have not had a reaction. It lasts one month. Natural Factors is GMP certified (good manufacturing practices, good quality).

Best wishes,
    Hopeful4
  7. hahaha

hahaha New Member

for the replies, I've taken 60mg so far today and if anything feel more tired than normal - I don't know if it's a die off or just psychological, but I'll carry on tomorrow and experiment with the dose.
  8. kbak

kbak Member

CoQ10 is very difficult to absorb, so you need the gel kind. The bad news is that when people are sick, like us, you need 1000-1400mg/day. Way outa my pocketbook range!!

I take about 400mg/day. that's all I can afford. CoQ10 is very essential for many things. It's extremely good for your heart and all muscles. If you want to have any hope in losing weight, CoQ10 is essential. It plays a huge part in the elasticity of your skin. That's why it's in all your cosmedics now.

You can do a search and find a million reasons to take it. i started taking it about 12 yrs. ago, before it was fashionable to do so. I'm 53 and barely have a single wrinkle in my face. I chalk it up to taking CoQ10 for so long.
  9. elsa

elsa New Member

My dose was 400mgs a day. I didn't have any problems with it....i.e. no herxing, so I think you would be fine.

After I started feeling better I dropped it from my treatment protocal. CoQ10 is very expensive....particularly at the dose recommended for FM/CFS patients.

I'll always keep it on the "good list" in case I find myself back tracking.

Hope this helps............Elsa
  10. hahaha

hahaha New Member

with regard to my face the main problem CFS has brought me is very dry skin that gets worse when I flare - I think it's related to either poor adrenal / thyroid function. I take fish oil which doesn't make much difference - maybe not high enough a dose.

The CO Q10 I have is a gel capsule but I am starting at a low dose for fear of my body reacting to it.
  11. MissKitty05

MissKitty05 New Member

My doctor recommended 200 milligrams (opened and dissolved in the mouth) I use one that is pure, no additives.

I take this along with B-12 shots, and I did take Kutapressin injections until they discontinued making the (low side effect) medication. Kutapressin is pig liver enzymes, and was a powerful medication that took me from being bed ridden to having the ability to function.

The co-Q10 really protects the heart....from what I understand. What is herx reaction? Never heard of it.

~
  12. helpeachother

helpeachother New Member

Hi good stuff but one important thing that I learned from a few very trusted sources (you can web search to verify if you like)

"YOU MUST TAKE CO-Q10 with some kind of fat or it is wasted"

Thats the way i got the quote, so ive been taking it with maybe my fish oil or flax oil or even a fatty meal whicg of course i shouldnt have.

Good luck and Peace