Co Housing What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marta608, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Hello, Everyone ~

Hangingin had a good thought about continuing a conversation about co-housing that was a thread here someplace posted by some good individual a few days ago. (I can't find it now.) The site with the information about what's been done in this regard so far is PWCCOHOUSING and that's with an org. I will take a look at it today.

I'll cut and paste my comments to Honora here and maybe she'll choose to do the same with her good ideas. Here's what I said:

"In my day dreams I visualized a large number of acres, some treed, some with a stream (thinking big here) with secluded, small condos on it which could be purchased reasonably by those with CFS/FM. Also on the property, in easy reach, would be a large lodge containing a big but cozy gathering room which I see with paneled walls, bookcases, a big fireplace and very comfy chairs with ottomans. There would also be a dining room large enough to hold us all; a kitchen for preparing food (a cook!); bathrooms; a nursing station; an apartment for the manager whom we would hire to keep things flowing evenly; perhaps a pool with hot tub and sauna for soaking aching bodies and showers. [I would add here that each little house would have a small kitchen for private meals as well. I like a quiet breakfast most days.]

Of course there would need to be either a groundskeeper or we would contract grounds help. We would have walking trails, a veggie garden where those of us who could and wanted to could dig in the dirt. Flowers would abound as well as wildlife. We'd have a community car or two or a car service for those who didn't have or didn't want their own vehicles. We would all pay dues to cover the cost of all this and we would also find grants/funding so the cost wouldn't break our banks."

I love the dream. I love the sense of like community and, indeed, there are more of these going up around the country all the time for "regular" folks of all ages. I like that idea best, I think. I need the incentive of healthy folks and also their help.

What do you think?

Marta
  2. Marta608

Marta608 Member

no one thinks anything??
  3. janieb

janieb New Member

Marta,

I love that idea. Even if you could just rent one for the winter months, providing there would be things for healthy spouses to do in the area.

AARP had something about housing, but I think it was small travel trailers, motor homes, possibly mobile homes, etc. with meals and some nursing services available. Can't remember where it was, but it seems it was in a warm climate. I believe there were crafts and other activities.

My problem is that my husband is a hunting fanatic and hated the area in Arizona we wintered in because there was nothing for him to do. No woods, trees, etc.

Wisconsin is fine in the summer, but it's cold and depressing in the winter, unless one is healthy and likes cold weather.

janieb
  4. libra55

libra55 New Member

I think it was me you were referring to as the "good individual" that started the cohousing thread. Thanks for the compliment!

I still have that dream. It would have to include my pets though, and veterinary care for them. I would like my own place but be able to dine with others if I pleased. I would like it to include a variety of age groups and lifestyles. The idea for an organic veggie garden is awesome! A hot tub or pool too, also an excellent idea.

On site medical care, and some sort of transportation for those who no longer can or wish to drive. Those are good thoughts too.

Where do you think it should be located? Probably the south or southwest (?), no snow there. Of course, some like snow but personally I find it harder to deal with every year.

Any one else have thoughts?

Michelle

5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Where should it be? Good question and yes, I do think you were the good person who posted the thread.

I do better in about 70 degree weather, not too hot or too cold. Sooooooooooooo, where's that? The housing talked about in the website (which I keep forgetting to check out!) is, I believe, located in Massachusetts. Brrrrrrr?

Marta
  6. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Oh, gosh, was it Wisconson? Well, never let it be said that I have a memory.

I also read that article in the AARP magazine and remember they showcased different types of homes from brownstones to camper-like trailers. I was impressed with that, too.

How do you think you'd like living in a co-operative situation? I'm in a condominium now and it seems that no one agrees with the Board's actions but won't or can't do the job themselves.

I just think that living alone with this illness, especially if one isn't married and can think of thousands of reasons why they should stay home, such a facility would present a good opportunity for companionship or not.

Marta
  7. mrdad

mrdad New Member

Sorry! You happen to look so much like Angelina Jolie the mistake is understandable I'm sure!! Hey I really like your idea about the communal living concept. I somewhat turned off to doing in Michigan, however. Maybe after the big earthquake out here in Cal., we can find some relatively cheap Ocean front property around Sacramento!!

Before they built housing developments, it use to be pretty good farmland. It would be good land for that garden your talking about. Let's talk it up!!

Best wishes for a Good Weekend,
    MRDAD
  8. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

Ecovillages all over USA have this sort of thing. If you look up intentional communities you will find situations too that welcome people with DD's. Some are cheap others very expensive. For DD children, Camphill association has communities all over too, plus jobs with housing at some.

I hope this helps. I have always liked the idea myself, and may do it one day.

Love Anne Cromwell
  9. Marta608

Marta608 Member

....that is the question.

Great info here. Thank you, Hangingin. I hope your away time is good to you.

I cannot imagine living in a seemingly cooperative place - and not feel included. That would be awful! Even here, surrounded by relatively healthy people, or should I say, people with more normal health, I can involve myself or not.

As for dogs and cats, goodness, I'd think there would have to be some Rules and Regulations. Are you saying, Hangin, that few people abided by them? Here we would be shot at dawn if our leashed dog pooped where we could not immediately scoop up the mess in a plastic baggie and put it, steaming, into our pocket (or handy bag). Ugh. As for cats, they're not allowed outside although neighboring cats do roam.

I have an aesthetic complaint about the proposed community on the website. Except for the largest home which is larger than I need, I don't care for the floor plans OR the elevations. I'd like to see something more.....quaint-looking, I guess, rather than a modular home look.

I think I'm being difficult already....

Oh, and I wasn't suggesting Michigan as The Place; it's just that that's where I am now. Although..... this is a lovely place. Many lakes, moderate climate except for winters which, if you had that large lodge with big stone fireplace, good books, good friends wouldn't be bad at all. I can always get warmer, I just can't always cool down.

I think everywhere has its drawbacks and I think I need to think more about this.

Angelina (yes, they do often get us confused, she said, fluffing hair and pouting LIPS)
    [This Message was Edited on 06/23/2006]
  10. victoria

victoria New Member

told me that the SC site is also considering a MCS section, that there appears to be a fair amount of interest in that as well.

It also appears possible that one could spend summers in Massachusetts (presumably cooler) and winters in SC... that could be very nice indeed!

Wonder if they'd consider a sort of RV park for those who want to migrate, many live in theirs, and maybe could keep costs down for some... and yet still not be packed in next to each other like 'typical' rv parks... Just a thought.

And, I have to say that at least locally the support group I belong to is very supportive, and we do not spend all our time talking about ailments; we do get together to just have lunch/fun as we are able to (ie, we plan a date and whoever can show up, shows up).

I do think one of the hardest issues is the pets tho!

best,
    Victoria

11. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Honora, I hope you feel far less icky very soon. Meanwhile I'll check out SmallHouseSociety.

Victoria, I'd really like the idea of winters in S.C.! For summers I'd come back here to MI. :>) Now, if I just liked the floorplans..... For a floorplan that I don't care for, $175/sq. ft. is more than I want to pay. And then there's furnishings and all that good stuff. Hmmm.

Hugs,
    Marta
  12. victoria

victoria New Member

that a pre-fab building company wouldn't be interested in having a division that specialized in appropriate materials and floorplans, might give people more of a choice that way -

plus I think there would be fewer MC problems as opposed to site built since there'd be little exposure to elements while building. But maybe they're thinking that already? they didn't say on the website that I saw.

And that's why I like the idea of an RV, Marta! We could go where we'd like...

V
  13. Marta608

Marta608 Member

I love the idea of an RV but I don't think I could pilot one by myself. I just get too tired to drive sometimes. I think it would be great if you have a pilot though. ;.)

Marta
  14. SusanEU

SusanEU New Member

Sounds like heaven on earth.

Sign me up.

Sue in Ontario