Cobbler recipes anyone????

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kathleen12, May 16, 2008.

1. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

The gentlman who is adopting one of my stray puppies just brought over a huge bag of dewberries this morning and I don't know what to do with them......except of course to eat a handful every time I go into the kitchen.

So, since he is forced to be away from his home and wife due to his job, I thought I'd try to make a cobbler or something and give to him. Any ideas?
  2. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

Hi Kathleen,
    This is a crisp recipe I use (not Cobbler) I actually prefer a crisp. This is w/3 different berries, but I'm sure you could make it with just what you have.

Berry Crisp

1 1/2 cups fresh blackberries
    1 1/2 cups fresh raspberries
    1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
    4 tablespoons white sugar
    2 cups all-purpose flour
    2 cups rolled oats
    1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
    1 1/2 cups butter

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
    In a large bowl, gently toss together blackberries, raspberries, blueberries, and white sugar; set aside.
    In a separate large bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in butter until crumbly. Press half of mixture in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan. Cover with berries. Sprinkle remaining crumble mixture over the berries.
    Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until fruit is bubbly and topping is golden brown.

Serve warm w/vanilla ice cream or Cool Whip! YUMMY!
  3. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

But what is a dewberry??
  4. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Morningsonshine,

I remember when we first moved to either TX or LA many years ago and I heard people talking about picking wild dewberries and how delicious they were. I had no clue what they were but I soon found out after asking. I also just googled it and found out what I thought was correct, so will pass it on.

I thought that I remembered that they were a relative of the blackberry and I was right. Gee, I do have somewhat of a memory (-: !!

They grow mostly in New England but wild in the south. They get its name because they are covered in dew in the early mornings and reflect the color of the sky when they are covered with dew. I didn't know that myself.

They are nearly black when ripe and grow mostly wild and they are to fragile to ship from TX or the south. They are also smaller and less seedy than blackberries.

Sorry, if I gave you more than you wanted to know (-: ! It was interesting myself. Yes, they are good but it has been a long time since I have had them.

Hope I have helped you Le me know if you make that cobbler or crisp that Kathleen mentioned.

Bye for now.

5. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

It is good to see you posting again. I haven't heard from you in a while. Any way, a dew berry is basically the same thing as a black berry only these are a bit fatter and with larger seeds.

Janalynn.....Boy! That does sound yummy! I have to run to the store and pick up a couple of the ingredients for this recipe and can't wait to try it! Thank you so much!
  6. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

Dang your good! But I have to disagree with what your website described. I have found that our dew berries are actually a bit larger seedwise and plumper. The black berries tend to have a more elongated shape with smaller individual seeds, though there are more seeds per berry.

I never noticed whether they reflect the sky or not, but will go out in the morning and check. That's fascinating trivia though! I think I may also google this subject. I may even find a few more recipes.
  7. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

I believe you as you are the "dewberry expert" (-: !! It has been a long time since I have had any. The way they were described as far as the dew and all is something new to me. However, someone probably thought that probabaly many years ago and that is how the name stuck.

Personally,I usually even do not eat alot of blackberries because the little seeds get caught in my teeth. My teeth are very close together for the most part, other than my front teeth. So, I usually like to eat blueberries or strawberries when fresh. I love them but DH does not partiularly like strawberries so I do not buy them that much either.

I do love cobbler too warm with ice cream on the side. Am I getting you both hungry now??

8. sisland

sisland New Member

We have Huckleberries up North Here in Montana! They are a hot commoditie every summer,,,,They grow wild and sell for 30-45$ a gallon,,,,,Yeah!,,

Harvest time is usually around the end of July ,,first of august,,,,alot of Folks make big bucks selling them to touirist on their way to Glaicer National park,,,,

but they have to work very hard to pick them and then clean and package them,,,,,,,,,,They are made into all sorts of stuff like pies,,Jam...candy,,,,ice cream,,,lotion,,candles,,,,Chocolate,,,these are just some of the products that sell like hotcakes!,,,,,oh yeah and syrup too!

They are round and are a deep purple color about the size of the tip of your little finger!,,seedless,,,some are larger,,,They very popular with the Grizzly Bear and for that matter any Bear!,,,,,,lolol

I grew up having to pick them for our family! i love them but no-longer go out picking them,,,,,(I Should!),,,,,,,,,,,,Now days you have to get a permit to pick them from the forest service,,,,,,,,anyway just throwing in a Berry story!,,,,,,,,Sis,,,

Heres one of my Aunties recipies for Cobbler,,

Wash Day Cobbler

2-cups berries
    1-cup flour
    1-cup sugar,,or to taste
    1-cup milk
    2 tsp baking powder
    dash of salt
    1/2-cup margerine
    1/4-cup sugar

Preheat Oven to 400 degrees

in a sauce pan over low heat, cook fruit until boiling,,,set aside
    Mix togeather flour,,sugar,,milk,,baking powder and salt,,in a 2 quart casserole dish melt Margerine,,pour batter over butter,,,add the fruit,,,do not stir!,,,,,sprinkle the 1/4 sugar over top,,,bake for 20-30 minutes,,,serv warm with whip cream or ice cream,,,,,,,,enjoy!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/18/2008]
  9. Kathleen12

Kathleen12 New Member

We also have huckleberries down here and I LOVE 'em! They are similar to the blue berries only much smaller, and to my opinion, sweeter. We also have the winter huckle berries which I like even better. They are kind of dry and tart.

That recipe looks great and very close to one I found online which I'm gonna's catually identical to it except for the measurements. Thanks, lady!
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Welcome!,,,Oh Good you have them too!,,,they are tart!,,i always pay the higher price for the Blueberries every summer,,,,they are much sweeter!,,,,,S
  11. msbsgblue

msbsgblue Member

Yummmmmmmmmmmmy! I will try to think to get you the recipe.
  12. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

Thanks for the great description Granni, they sound delicious!! We don't have them here, nor blackberries, just wild rasberries, that are so small and seedy that there not really worth the effort.

Most people just grow tame ones which are really delicious
    Yes, the Huckleberries sound alot like our blueberries, people go nutz around here, there delicious, but you have to be able to get back into the bogs and swamps to get them.
    To hot and exhausting for me. I had a lady give me a bucket last year! Yummmy!!

We also have a juneberry that passes as a blueberry, but grows higher in a small tree. Looks just like a small blueberry, and makes a taste pie.

I wonder if they are like your huckleberrys??

Great Post! Now i'm berry hungry!! LOL
  13. sisland

sisland New Member

We also have the wild raspberries and the wild strawberries up this way!,,,,,it's fun to find them out in the woods when hiking or just exsploring,,,,,

like Misty said they are small and seedy,,but taste good!,,,,the wild strawberries are very small but have a sweet taste to them!,,,,,,,,S