CockatooMom and college.....It's been SO HARD

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Sep 8, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Well, I have finished classes for one week of nursing school ~ 13 weeks to go. (I wasn't this optimistic yesterday.)

I've been in level 8-10 pain all week. My herniated disc is flared along with the FM & CFS.

I have cried silently and hysterically. No one understands how much pain I'm in, my husband, my mom, my dad...only my one friend from school who has FM.

I got an appt. with the CRNP at my doc office yesterday between classes. She put me on prednisone and gave me another Rx for vicoden, made me a referrel to the pain clinic at our hospital, and signed a handicapped parking permit for my state.

The steroid Rx is only temporary to relieve inflammation until I get to the pain clinic, but I feel better after taking two 60mg doses, I can hardly believe it.

I am taking 13 credits this semester and working at the hospital for our clinical experience 2 days of the week.

I am overwhelmed, exhausted, and nauseated. I am taking one day at a time right now. Trying to get organized is the worst part.

I talked to my advisor and hubby about dropping out or dropping some classes. We'll see how it goes.

I don't want to put my body through this AT ALL, but I have to, to have a future and a job with benefits. If I drop classes it will just slow down the process, and I do NOT want to do this any longer than I have to!

So, that's me. I will continue to try my best and listen to my body. I'm going to go lay down now for a while. My pain level is going back up from being at the computer.

Hugs,
    E

[This Message was Edited on 09/10/2006]
  2. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I am so sorry you have so much pain I truly know how you feel . I admire how you want to finish college so much.

I took prednisone for several months and gained 100 lbs and I have never lost that weight.I think that is what causes me some pain now.Please be careful it caused me all kinds of problems even with breathing.

It started out helping the problem but ended up causeing more problems.

You have always been so careing to me on this board .Thank you and know you are in my prayers .Try to rest as much as you can and remember to let others help you with things.

Remember you can not take care of others if you do not take care of you.

Have a restful weekend

3. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

sorry you are having a flare on that darn back and feel crappy all the way around..

try the old epsom salt bath...soak...ice it...on and off...

stretches knew to chest...i know you know what to do..

i took my psych quiz on vocab i am pretty sure i got an a all 20 right...i will know on tuesday....

i did take it in one of the offices alone it was nice i didn't have to hear pencils clicking, people getting up and walking up and turning in the test...

well got get a hot bath..

jodie
  4. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

I am truly sorry to hear you are in so much pain- if you have to lesson up on classes listen to your heart and body-what sense does it make if you have the degree and can't use it right now- you need to take care of yourself- you guys all gave me encouragement. Please don't keep pushing, it will only make the symtoms worse-stress is horrible not only on the mind but the Body..

See what you can do to get some rest- the doctors should be able to help you. Remember the degree will always be there but the human body will not.
    Bless you I pray for you
    Janet
  5. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Thank you all for the kind words, prayers, and suggestions! I’m going to invest in some icy hot patches for my back this weekend, as well as an assortment of plastic & paper ware! LOL

Georgia~ Thank you for the kind words and prayers. I need them! At least living one day at a time forces us to deal with the present, wanting to or not! LOL

Carebelle~ I know you know how I feel, and I am so thankful for this board especially for that reason! I will be careful with the prednisone. Thank goodness I’m only on it for 12 days! It has helped though. I don’t know what the pain clinic at the hospital will suggest.

Thank you also for keeping me in your prayers. I will need them.

Jodie~ I’d try the bath thing, but once I get down, I can’t get back up! LOL But, really, I cannot get enough water in my tub for it to do me any good. I may go over to the gym and use the hot tub there. Yes, I stretch every day. I have to or I can’t function.

Great job on the psych quiz! I always sit in the back for a test and turn my desk to the wall.

Janet~ I agree that pushing myself will make everything worse. But I am feeling relief since starting the prednisone. So I will do what I can do each day, and no more!

I know I can slow down and drop some classes, but we would have to pay back the financial aid if I drop anything, and cannot afford that either. (Catch 22)

I laid down in bed yesterday afternoon for over 2 hours, then was able to work on homework till 11:30PM.

Donnaeil~ Thank you for the idea of using a power chair, but I think I will be ok when I get my handicapped parking permit. I only have classes in one building, thank goodness.

And, no…I am not cooking, just putting stuff in the oven or using microwave meals! And I hired a lady to clean for me once a week! I use paper plates & bowls and am planning on buying plastic utensils this weekend!

Love & Hugs to all!
    Erayna
  6. minkanyrose

minkanyrose New Member

I have adjusted things in my life after reading a women went through college laying down on a cot in the back of her class rooms. She had a lot ofcourage to do that when people asked her why she did this she simply told them she learned better laying down she had fm and cfs. I thought if she could do it in college I could do it to continue some of the things I enjoy .

I lay on the couch and play cards and bourd games with family and friends now. just clear off the coffee table and I get more hours of enjoyment.

maybe you can do this in class too.
  7. jrose

jrose New Member

C. Mom- I must admit you have guts and courage. Hope it gets better for you. At least it's not years of school that you have to finish. Hope the term goes fast and less painful. Judy
  8. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Sorry, I did not even think about the financial aide- Mine had not gone through, and Vesid got their reimbursement for the books(full credit) - BUT the Business lady gave me a hard time saying i would have to pay 50%, I told her I medically cannot do this, she said to me well 25%, I just did not feel like dealing with this-I only went 3X and have not felt good since- she gave me some form for medical but my therapist wrote a letter, so I will give a copy to everyone and I am calling the President of college on Monday and seeing my medical doctor.

I just could not do this and I feel bad about it BUT I cannot help it- it just wasn't meant to be at this time.

Anyways, take extra care of yourself- and maybe somehow you can make some different arrangement for next semester.
    Be Well- HUGS (I will be thinking of you)
    Janet
  9. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Minkanyrose~ Wow! Now THAT takes a lot of courage to go to class and lay down on a cot. I’m not that dedicated! I have a hard time just sitting on the couch and reading. I have to be spread out, so to speak with my book, highlighters, etc.

But thanks for the story….if she can do it, hopefully I can too!

Jrose~ Hi Judy! How are you sweetie? Thank you for saying I have guts and courage, sometimes I sure do not feel that way! I’m glad I am almost finished with school too! If I had more then these 2 semesters, I’d probably find a way to drop back to part-time.
    I know it will go fast, I hope less painful too. Take care Hon!

1975jet~ Hi again Janet! Yes, financial aid all went through, and I had to buy a car for school with my refund, so I surly cannot pay that back right now!

I’m proud of you for seeing the truth in your situation, and though an extremely difficult decision to make, you did what’s best for you. Like someone else told me, School will always be there, our bodies will not.

Next semester is supposed to be much easier, and I drop back to part-time status (9 or 10 credits) plus 2 clinical days. So if I make it through this 14 week semester…I’m on the down hill slope! Thank you SO MUCH for keeping me in your thoughts.

Thank you all again for your support! I’m sure I’ll be posting for more!

Love & Hugs to all!
    E