COCKATOOMOM & college...Please read, I need encouragement

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CockatooMom, Sep 16, 2006.

1. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Well friends, this has been the week from h*ll.

But I hope this finds ALL OF YOU doing WELL, or better, or something good! LOL

I'm glad this week is over, but I have SO MUCH to do now for next week.

To make a long story short, I almost dropped one of my nursing classes this week, which would have caused me to graduate a year later (2008). But I fixed the situation in time, and am staying in the program.

I am stressed to the MAX: financial problems, pain, frustration with school, and am in another downward spiral of depression. I literally wanted to go admit myself some where.

School is SO HARD this semester. I am not comprehending acid/base balance with arterial blood gases, and we had our drug calculation math test this week too. And microbiology is just....well....microbiology ~ not my bag.

I had dropped my Friday nursing class Thur night, so I didn't study for the math test because I wasn't planning on going to school.

I changed my mind at 11:30PM Thurs night, and went to school Friday anyway. I took the math test and was almost the last one finished, BUT I PASSED!!! (You have to pass with a 90% or higher)

I took my last dose of prednisone for my herniated disc this morning. My pain from that and my FM is increasing again.

I was to be referred to the pain clinic ASAP from my appt on 9/7, but still have heard nothing, even after I called my doctor's office last Monday (9/11)as a reminder. Needless to say I will be calling my doctor's office again this Monday.

My left leg is numb down to my toes and I can't stand the way it feels! To sit and read or write is horrible. I try to stand and move around a lot, but nothing helps.

Thanks for reading and responding! It means SO MUCH to me.

Hugs,
    Erayna

[This Message was Edited on 09/16/2006]
  2. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I used to be a Nursing Prof. and even I had problems with acid/base balance and ABGs!! Congrats on the math test. It's usually just basic math. Trust yourself, a lot of this stuff is common sense and you know more than you think.

That being said, I know it's tough. I can see what you are going through from both sides. Do your teachers know about your disability? There should be some kind of adaptations they can make for you. Keep pushing for that pain clinic appt. I'm sure they wil be able to help you.

I expect finances amy be an issue but I have had a lot of help from acupuncture. Also, may I suggest relaxation exercises or meditation? It maybe hard at first but it can really help.

Hang in there! However, if you have to drop something, don't beat yourself up. 2008 will come and no one will ask you how long it took to graduate.

Kathy.
  3. 1975jet

1975jet New Member

Hi, hon. I am so glad to hear you passed that math test.. You really gotta listen to your body and your mind.. do not beat yourself up- I know all about financial- it is very hard and takes a toll on you in itself, then besides being sick!!! I worry about you- I as you know had to stop-I cannot at this time do full time... I would have ended up in the hospital- and I can't have that- My energy what there is has to be in case DH gets called for a transplant- -
    someday I maybe able to look at taking a course or 2 on-line-but my mind and body told me'NOT Now'

Please take care of yourself- what good is a degree if you cannot use it? I hope I am not being too hard.
    Hugs Janet
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

and let's say chemistry and some of the other courses non-essential to nursing program...before you got into the nursing program....it may have been a little easier..possibly.

but the nursing part is still difficult for anyone feeling like we do..

and i just giving my 2 cents worth..the prednisone can make you go stir crazy and not sleep, focus and a slew of other things...are you supposed to be on that forever or until they decide to do some surgery?

i've been on that crap twice for other reasons...both were just totally wrong guess's as to what was really and truly wrong w/me...i was on 60 mgs or started ayt 45 mgs...two different times...never ever again...

it weakens you immune system..and yes i got pneumonia..there are other courses of some tx...besides the prednisone...

maybe time for second or third opinion for you...

great job on the math test...i always wonder what ifi didn't all these issues what the heck could i do now..

jodie
  5. bandwoman

bandwoman New Member

I feel for you. It is a tough road to feel bad and try to press forward. Congrats on the math test. I am a teacher and many many days it is so hard to face the day knowing how awful I feel in the mornings and how long the day is going to be. I have learned to pace myself and not to feel guilty saying no to things that other people can do. I would be the sweaky wheel concerning the pain clinic. I sure hope that they will be able to put you on some type of plan that will help. My Dad before he passed away last year had terrible back problems and went to a pain clinic and had some nerve root injections I think they were called and they did help him. Hopefully something like that can be done for you. I will be thinking about you and tell us what you find out.

Nancy
  6. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I am in ahhhhh over all you are doing .STOP kicking yourself. You need to slow down and do what is best for your health. If you are sick it will not pay to push your self to hard because you will make it worse.

remember how can you teach others to take care of themself if you are not doing it? hang in there we love you.
  7. kjfms

kjfms Member

Congratulations on passing you math test. I think it is fantastic that you are going after what you want. I think you will do wonderfully and it sounds like you are working very hard for it.

It seems like we have to work that much harder to achieve our goals doesn't it but if we truly want something we will find a way right?

I would say some of your stress factors will decrease since you are going off the Prednisone. I know I always get agitated and stressed out while on it along with the lack of sleep from it because Prednison can really take a toll on the body.

Hang in there and I hope it gets better for you.

Take time for you,

<font color="blue">Karen :)</font>

[This Message was Edited on 09/16/2006]
  8. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Thank you all for the thoughts, love, support, prayers, and congratulations!

Pianowoman~
    Hi Kathy! It makes me feel better to know that even YOU had problems with acid/base & ABG’s. Dimensional analysis (math) isn’t bad if you know how to set up the problem.

Yes, my teachers know about my issues and they have been wonderful! I will keep pushing for the pain clinic. In the mean time, I’m on vicodin and I’ll keep doing my stretching and relaxation stuff.

1975Jet~
    Hi Janet! Gosh, you worry about ME? Thank you so much. I will take care of myself and if that means graduating later, so be it. You are being too hard.

69mach1~
    Hi Jodie! Yes, Micro is the only class left to take, and I tried to take it this summer but was just so sick and too exhausted.

I was on the prednisone for about 10 days. But I didn’t have any trouble sleeping. I take 4mg Zanaflex, regular Ambien 10mg, and a half a Klonopin to help me sleep. I see my doc Oct 2nd.

Bandwoman~
    Hi Nancy! Wow, another teacher! Yes, it is hard to keep going sometimes, especially when we wake up in pain. I am doing the same, learning to say NO and pace myself. I give myself breaks from school work often. And I can be pretty squeaky if I need to!

Personally, I feel I need to have a new MRI or something done. I think the disc has gotten worse. Like I told Jodie; I see my doc Oct 2nd.

Carebelle~
    YES MA’AM! I’ll stop being so hard on myself. You are right, I need to be an example as well. Thanks!

Nanjee~
    Hi Nancy! Some days I don’t know how I do it either. I know that my health has declined rapidly since starting school. The way the curriculum is set up, it cannot be done part-time. It’s a 2-year accelerated program.

I’m at my 3rd clinical rotation, 2 days a week 6:30-1:30. My clinical instructor is wonderful. She told me I could do an observation day in the ER or something if I hurt too badly.

Donnaeil~
    I appreciate your kind words. Yes, I couldn’t believe what a difference the prednisone made decreasing my pain level! I forgot what it was like to only have level 2 or 3 pain!

I use the pool and hot tub at my gym, but never thought about taking cold showers in between. I invested in the icy hot back patches too!

Ilovepink4~
    Oh yes sweetie…I am positive I have FM & CFS and all the other junk wrong with me. I have moderate FM, but it has gotten progressively worse since being in school (my 3rd year).

If I wasn’t “on a mission” I would be leading a much different lifestyle. I just keep telling myself…12 more weeks…it’s only temporary. Then I have one more semester and can graduate.

I know I will only be able to work part-time but that’s ok.
    I don’t know what kind of nursing yet.

Kjfms~
    Hi Karen! Yes we find a way when there is no other option. I hope I feel better after going off the prednisone too.

Hugs to all,
    E
  9. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i hope things are getting better for you...

i am being totally lost the word right now...phobic ah, germ phobic...

people wanting to kiss me on the lips...i tell them i can only hug them or a kiss on the cheek...because i am back at school and they are only allowing me to miss 3 days of class of i fail..

my son maybe getting a cold..i hope not...when he gets it i get is worse...i have no spleen///

sphereocytosis..in my bio..irregular shaped red blood cells..

hereditary...i am the lucky one in the family...

jodie
  10. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

Things are tolerable. It seems our one teacher gives us all this BS busy work, and it's frustrating to have to go to 5 different resources to find the answers....and still not find one! LOL

I have microbiology tonight and clinical tomorrow at 6am.
    I've been working real hard all weekend and today on getting the BS work done so I can sit down, read, and learn what I need!

Gosh...sorry to hear everyone wants to slobber all over you! That's annoying. I sure hope you and your son stay well. You don't need to be sicker!

DO you have sickle cell anemia? Or another tyoe of red blood cell disorder? I read your bio pretyy fast, I might have missed it. I got the no spleen part.

OMG! It's time for me to leave for class already! Talk to ya soon and have a good week!

E
  11. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Thinking of you and hope this week is better
  12. mrdad

mrdad New Member

We really need not only good nurses but good nurses
    that are great people like you!! Hope you feel better
    and keep doing well in school!

Best wishes!!
    MRDAD
  13. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i do not have sickle cell.....it is called spherocytosis...herditary...usually of the mediteranean ethnic background...they are just irregular, sphere shaped r.b.c..

in the mean time...causes gall stones...and plenty of dr's have never heard of the disease...

so i need my flu shot yearly whether i want it or not...

and i have had a pnuemovax twice as well as i am blank right now...ah the hib vaccine...

i don't know how you do that night course then wake up at 6 am for another class..kudos to you...

just do the bare minumun to pass your test..

i still need to figure out a good vocation for myself...maybe psychology...we shall see if the dr's can get my elbows and carpal tunnel taken care of then maybe i can just go for the dental hygiene program..

i have dr appt at 9 20 am..i'm still up..

i didn't finish all of my math..it came to 4 word problems...and i hit the stupid wall..so i said i'll call it a night...and if i can figure it out in the waiting room...then i'm lucky if not...i just put some numbers in there...and miss them...then re0do for higher grade..

good luck and give me some of your special energy

hugs
    mom
  14. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

[Carebelle & MrDad…Thank you for the thoughts and encouragement…]

Jodie…I’m going to look spherocytosis up when I have time. The name of the disorder tells me that they are just what you said…irregular shaped rbc’s. A shame it causes stones and not familiar to many.

Gosh, I can’t believe you were up so late! I hit that very same wall daily! Good attitude on the math test. Nice that you can do a redo.

I sat in microbiology last night and drank “total something” Maalox and ate tums. I’ve been getting heartburn SO BADLY since starting back to school that it’s just crazy! I know I need to go to the doctor, but I was just there on Sept 7th.

But, I need to get a different pain med too. The vicoden is making me nauseated when it’s wearing off, and legally…. I cannot take a vicoden and pass meds to patients. (I don’t take them on clinical days anyway.)

I wish I would’ve taken a course on how to be some kind of “tech” like x-ray, sonogram, EEG, sleep study…etc….Oh well…too late now! I’m in nursing up to my eyeballs! LOL

I have my first two major exams next week, so this weekend shall be …well you know.
    Gotta go, I have a boat load of homework that might get done! Oh…and trust me…I don’t have any special energy. But if I did, I’d share it with my family here!

Take care and thanks for keeping in touch like this!
    Hugs
  15. CockatooMom

CockatooMom New Member

I'd LOVE to be support buddies!

It always makes me feel good when others send me messages of encouragement, even just a :) like Carebelle did.

It's SO NICE to know that others care if I become a nurse or not.

I'm going to start a new thread. College Support Buddies...post your message here.

Look for it!

Take care!