Coconut oil - Harvard Medical says not good - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, May 14, 2006.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I have read several places about coconut oil being healthful. I know several of us use it regularly. So I was very confused to read this following question/answer from the Harvard Medical School Health News Letter from April, 2006 and would love your thoughts. Dr Anthony Komaroff writes the following:

Q. I’ve read recently that organic coconut oil has health benefits. Could coconut oil improve lipid profiles if consumed daily?

A. I doubt that coconut oil has health benefits, especially beneficial effects on lipids, and I wouldn’t recommend that you consume it regularly.

For years, fat was portrayed as unhealthful. That’s not true. “Bad facts” such as saturated and trans fats, are bad for you, but “good fats” – mono-unsaturated and polyunsaturated fats – actually have health benefits.
    The black-hat fats are a problem because they tend to increase LDL cholesterol levels, which in turn raises the risk of developing atherosclerosis and the heart disease and stokes that follow. True, they also tend to increase HDL (“good”) cholesterol, but not enough to compensate for the bad effects.

Dietary oils – canola, corn oil and so on – are all forms of fat. But unlike most other oils made from plants, coconut oil, as well as palm oil, are high in saturated fat. Saturated fat comes in several varieties; coconut oil is rich in one called lauric acid. Some groups and self-proclaimed experts are hawking lauric acid as a wonderful food that will boost your immune system, help you loose weight, fight cancer – you name it. Needless to say, the evidence is weak to nonexistent. A respected nutrition textbook on our shelves does refer to the possibility of it having modest cavity-fighting properties. By contrast, there’s a great deal of evidence that, like other saturated fats, lauric acid increases LDL levels.

As with most dietary don’ts, there’s no need to be a prohibitionist. If you want to enjoy an occasional pina colada or a Thai curry dish, go ahead. I do. Coconut milk and oil are delicious. Just don’t kid yourself that they are good for you.

[This Message was Edited on 05/14/2006]
  2. cinnveet

cinnveet New Member

Now that article is a bummer.

I just started taking coconut oil right after my blood test, and in a few months I will have another blood test and was hoping this would help.

I dont know what to say. Should I or Shouldnt I continue??

I see the endo. in 2 wks. I will make sure to ask his advise and let you know.

Thanks for the posting.

Cindy
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

As dncnfingers indicates, they are part of the traditional medical establishment (TDM). This is not a bad thing per se, but it is well-established that the TDM knows next to nothing about nutrition but do like to give out a lot of drugs. Note that the answer uses the word "doubt", he says he "doubts" coconut oil has health benefits - when someone says "I doubt", it means they don't know they answer.

I have read that studies performed on coconut oil which showed it was harmful used a refined form of the oil - they did not use virgin coconut oil. That makes a big difference. Go to the Tropical Traditions website and do your own research. And then experiment with small doses.

Virgin coconut oil killed an entrenched yeast infection I had which did not respond to caprylic acid.

What would Harvard Medical School and the TDM do for cholesterol? Give you statins which are potentially very dangerous drugs - read about them. They can cause severe neuromuscular degeneration. But you won't find Harvard Medical School badmouthing statins.

Mary
  4. claudiaw

claudiaw New Member

Thanks for the post.

Everything is so confusing, one day someone say's something is good another day it's bad.

They have done that with eggs, tea, and coffee to name a few for year's.

i don't know what to do anymore.

Sometimes i think the stress of trying to eat right and take the right supplement's is worse than not worrying so much about it.

Maybe that's why my grandma ate bacon and eggs,sweet's and coffee and lived to 86.

Who know's?:)

Claudia