Coconut oil - How do you take it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaymagpie, Jul 29, 2005.

1. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I had heard great things about virgin, unrefined coconut oil and purchased some a few weeks ago, but was surprised by the taste - yuk. I thought it would be coconuty. So since then, it had just been sitting on the shelf.

To those who are using it (I have seen a couple of posts recently), how are you using it or taking it?

Thanks!
    Maggy
  2. kbak

kbak Member

you can get the same thing in capsule form! Way easier to take. Several companies make that. You can find it at most health food stores, or online with most vitamin companies, like vitaminshoppe.

Use the other you have for cooking.[This Message was Edited on 07/29/2005]
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Mine does taste coconuty, I like the way it tastes and I just swallow a tablespoon or two after a meal. It's very light, unlike most oils.

But, if you can't do that, then you can cook with it. It may give a slight coconut taste to whatever you're cooking.

Some people spread it on toast, like butter.

The Tropical Traditions website has a lot information about coconut oil, it was very helpful to me.

I hope this helps --

Mary
  4. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

for your replies. I am going to have to try a different kind because the stuff I ended up with really tastes bad - not coconuty at all. And capsules, too, great.
  5. justlikemom

justlikemom New Member

It works great for stirfrying... and you can also use it in baking.

We use the refined stuff, we couldn't find any extra-virgin, un-refined.

Anyone know how the health benefits compare?
  6. lvjesus

lvjesus Member

my friend bought some that looked like lard (you know, hard and white) and would eat a tablespoon after lunch - tablespoon, mind you, not teaspoon.

Well one day she suckered me into taking one (I love coconut) - HA!!! It tasted like lard too!!! I thought I was going to hurl right in her cubicle!!! GROSS!

So I guess you can tell I did not care for that form *GRIN*

Sonya
  7. sofy

sofy New Member

I cook with it but every morning I look foreword to my liquid candy bar. mix everything together and then add the coconut oil and mix and ehjoy

2 tbls organic cocoa
    2 tbls jarro fermented soy
    ground stevia leaf to taste
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 tbl ground flax
    1 tbl gounnd milk thistle
    about 1/4 cup thawed organic blueberries
    1 tbl coconut oil
    water enough to mix

leave what you dont want out and add peanut, almond or cashew butter or ground nuts when you add the coconut oil

this is a very loose receipe and you dont have to measure and you can add & subtract whatever you want.

What could be better than chocolate, thats good for you, every morning for breakfast

8. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi, Maggy!

I couldn't take it plain, either. But I love to cook with it. I use it to fry hash browns. It's surreal to be trying to make my hashbrowns as greasy as possible! But it's fun!

Forebearance
  9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

by placing in the blender:
    1 banana
    some berries
    1 T. unrefined coconut oil
    1 c. soymilk
    1 T. whey powder or protein pdr.
    Mix and enjoy.
  10. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

Thanks for your ideas. I can't wait til I pick up the fixin's for the liquid candy bar - talk about a healthy treat. And the smoothie sounds great, too.
    Maggy
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

Thought I would bump it for anyone else interested in how to use the coconut oil.

Pepper
  12. Tantallon

Tantallon New Member

a cup of tea to help it down. I don't mind the taste but I cannot take the full amount yet so I am working my way up to a tablespoon.

One thing though, as it increases your metabolism don't take it after 12pm as you will find it might interfere with your sleep. It did with me when I took some later than that, it took me 2 hours longer to drop off.

Sue
  13. pepper

pepper New Member

I will remember that! My sleep is so easily disturbed and isn't great to start with, so I will be sure to take this stuff before noon.

Pepper
  14. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

My brother uses coconut oil on his skin as a lotion. It wouldn't have the same effect as taking it internally, but it's neat that it's good on skin too. :)
  15. pepper

pepper New Member

I have high cholesterol too and my CFS doc told me that the Extra Virgin Coconut Oil is fine for me. You can find out why on the Tropical Traditions web site. I forget why at the moment.

Pepper
  16. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Hi everyone,

I also read you can drink 1/2 cup of the coconut milk. I bought it at Whole Foods. It comes in a can and is very thick. I poured it into my morning smoothy (blueberries and whey protein) and found that this was much easier than taking the oil. I, too, have a difficult time taking the oil. I pretty much gag!!

I cook with it too, but to tell you the truth, I haven't felt well lately and don't have the energy to cook.

Aloha,

skierchik
  17. sofy

sofy New Member

I was taking about 3-4 tabls per day mixed in with my food. Was using Garden of Life Brand which is organic virgin cold pressed.

My cholesterol skyrocket and so after talking with my gp about any changes in my diet we decided to stop the coconut oil and use virgin olive oil instead. He said olive oil will make the cholesterol go down.

Well after several weeks of trying this my cholesterol is back at a safe level.

Just cuz its natural and others say its ok doesnt mean its ok for you. Check your cholesterol if you try this.

[ advertisement ]