Coconut oil....I can't believe it

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gwheezy41, Apr 2, 2006.

1. gwheezy41

gwheezy41 New Member

Hi I started to take coconut oil in early February and at first I noticed high glucose #'s, and tummy ache which would stop after everything in my stomach was emptied, but I stuck with it figured I was in detox, Well the pain did stop And WHAT A SURPRISE to find that my A1C went from 7.2 to a 6.0. Cholesterol is 156 down from 222. I am so happy I had to let someone know! Now if I can just learn to eat a little more sensibly maybe a little loss weight? Has anyone else had good results? Virginia
  2. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

heard so much good about it before, it is time I try it for my cholestorol!
  3. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Virginia:
    I have been using coconut oil in cooking and on my rough hands. It's many uses are excellent.
    I hope others give it a try.

n.f.
  4. onedaymagpie

onedaymagpie New Member

I use it too, but I haven't measured any results yet though. Thanks for the report. Besides the coconut oil, were you doing anything else to lower your cholesterol?
    Mag
  5. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I took coconut oil a few years ago and it helped get rid of an entrenched candida infection I'd had for several years. It worked very well, I took about 2 tablespoons a day for about 2 weeks.

But I didn't keep it up and my cholesterol is high (around 220) so think I will start it again. It's also supposed to be very good for the thyroid and energy.

So, am curious, how much have you been taking? Also, what is A1C and what do those numbers mean?

Mary
  6. skierchik

skierchik New Member

Yes, I've had good results too. I've been telling some people on the board to try it, so hopefully with more people praising it's effects, it will catch on. There's a great website www.coconutoil.com. It also has a message board. Be sure to buy Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil or at least E.V.

How much did you start out taking? How much do you take now? Do you melt it or take it solid? It kinda makes me gag. I can only take one TBSP right now due to the herxing effects, but if I get nauseous, I drink something right away and it usually takes care of it.

Hugs,

skierchik
  7. nice2meetu

nice2meetu New Member

I just read my replies from an earlier post of mine about this horrible fatigue of mine and zerped posted to me about coconut oil! I researched it and copied the article for a read here. Hope thats legal. I mean no harm :)

Now I read this post! I'm psyched. I am trying this ASAP! Thanks for posting!
  8. gwheezy41

gwheezy41 New Member

Hi yes I also take lipitor for my cholesterol, but I have taken that for a few years with not much change. Not until I started taken the c.o. I started at 1Tlbs but it was to much for me, had palpitations and mean stomach ache, so I went to a tsp a day and gradually got up to a Tlbs again, I put it in my 1st cup of coffee in the morning. Also has done wonders for those nasty yeast infections. An A1c is a blood test that shows how well you have been controlling your glucose within a time period of 2-3 months. It sort of like keeps a record of it.....Virginia
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I bought a can of the solid coconut oil (like Crisco).

When you say you are putting a teaspoon of it in your coffee .... you don't mean a teaspoon of the solid coconut oil (what looks like Crisco) do you??????

I'm confused!!!!!!!!!

Janet
  10. starmom

starmom New Member

Coconut oil is always solid looking. It melts at very low temps though. I use it in making soap and sometimes in my lotion bars.

I did not know it was good for cholesterol. I cannot imagine taking a spoonful of it straight. Just hte thought gags me.

I may have to start cooking with it, or finding another way to take it. I am NOT happy with my cholesterol and don't want to take another prescription.

Susie
  11. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I've been taking 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil after breakfast daily for a few months now and I feel more energetic because it helps my thyroid. I also put it on my face and sleep with it and my skin and acne have improved. Believe it or not, right now I've got coconut oil on my hair for two hours as a hot oil treatment and I will shampoo my hair as soon as I get off the internet. I love my coconut oil!

Love, Jasmine
  12. Jasmine

Jasmine New Member

I've been taking 3 Tablespoons of coconut oil after breakfast daily for a few months now and I feel more energetic because it helps my thyroid. I also put it on my face and sleep with it and my skin and acne have improved. Believe it or not, right now I've got coconut oil on my hair for two hours as a hot oil treatment and I will shampoo my hair as soon as I get off the internet. I love my coconut oil!

Love, Jasmine
  13. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

The nurse who is helping me find natural ways to stop my migraines and help with the fibro recommends coconut oil for cooking and said it is good on toast!

I haven't tried it yet but plan to get some this weekend.

I wouldn't mind smelling like coconut all day. Suntan lotion sometimes smells that way, so maybe I would look tanned!

Greenbean
  14. kjfms

kjfms Member

...I bought organic Virgin Coconut Oil at GNC. It didn't do a thing for me...tasted like lard and smelled like it too. I thought it was supposed to smell like coconut and taste sweet? Mine didn't...ugh :(

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Karen
  15. mme_curie68

mme_curie68 New Member

That's fantastic - what a reduction! Good for you. I will keep that in mind if I don't like my values next physical.

My current experiment on myself is oatmeal/whole grain cereal. I am curious to see if a whole grain breakfast every day is going to reduce my numbers - many of you with higher numbers will kill me when I say that it was 180 last physical, but it USED to be 120, then up to 140, then 180.

I didn't like the trend so I am trying whole grain first to see what kind of reduction I'm getting "real world".

Hugs,
    Madame Curie
  16. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Virgin coconut oil is supposed to have coconut flavor (although it is not sweet), so it would seem that what you bought was not virgin coconut oil.

There is a type called expeller processed which is still pretty good for you, but it lacks the odor of coconuts. It is more processed than the virgin coconut oil, but it is done by mechanical means, not chemical.

Check out the Tropical Traditions website, they have lots of info re coconut oil.

Mary
  17. BethM

BethM New Member

I buy the Garden of Life brand. I like it in VERY small amounts.

HOW DO YOU GET IT DOWN WITHOUT GAGGING?? I think it's the texture that gets to me. It's good on toast with honey, but that's probably not enough to do any good.

I also worry about the additional calories.

BTW, my dogs love it, and it's wonderful for their coat and skin and general health.

I also work a little of it into my hair with my conditioner, and love the silky results.

Beth.
  18. skierchik

skierchik New Member

They have now found out that total cholesterol should be 180 -220. The HDL's should be at high end, the LDL below 100 & triglycerides low as possible and below 150. My doctor told me that my total at 168 should be higher. Go figure!

skierchik
  19. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I bought some at lunch time so I have the jar at work.

125 calories in a tablespoon, 14 grams of fat. The fat is all good and I wouldn't worry about the calories either if it makes me feel better!

Think you could put a tablespoon full in the "shake"?

Greenbean
  20. windblade

windblade Active Member

Have a question - have been thinking about trying the coconut oil but saw in the first post that it raised the glucose #'s.

I have extreme hyperglycemia. Does anyone know if it raises your blood sugar level?