Coenzyme B6 [P-5-P] - more energy, better sleep [sort of]

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

My muscle testing chiropractor gave me coenzyme B6 [pyridoxal-5-phosphate] about a week and a half ago. I've been taking a B complex vitamin forever which has B6, but I've never taken it in the form of P-5-P. I felt achy for a couple of days after starting the P-5-P (two 25 mg. tablets, one in the a.m. and one in the p.m.) and then my energy started to pick up quite noticeably. And I slept pretty well for 2 nights (and had more dreaming too), and then my energy kept up (although I did not push it past my usual 3-1/2 hours of moderate exertion a day), I forced myself to rest, but then I started being very awake at night, very hard to go to sleep.

So - I did some reading on B6 and P-5-P, and found out it helps produce red blood cells and helps with oxygen transport in the red blood cells, and helps produce white blood cells (my WBC count is always low, outside of the normal range), and also helps the thyroid and with methylation, and also helps with serotonin production which should help with sleep (what more could you want! :)

And so I figured it is probably stimulating my thyroid to finally start working properly which is causing the insomnia and I am cutting back on my thyroid med (Armour equivalent) - I see my doctor next week and will discuss this all with him.

It is pretty amazing - it really is helping my energy, but I'm still being careful not to over do it.

If you google B6 or pyridoxal-5-phosphate, you'll find out more. Again, it's really important to try the P-5-P kind of B6, because regular B6 has done nothing for me.

Also - and this is probalby important too - I'm taking 5,000 mcg. of methylcobalamin B-12 sublingually daily, plus 800 mcg. of Solgar Metafolin (methylfolate) a day. I believe the P-5-P and B12 and Metafolin (bioactive form of folate -NOT FOLIC ACID) all work together. I doubt I would be getting the same results without these.

I first started taking Metafolin last April and had a surprising increase in energy. I'd been taking folic acid forever in my B complex with no results. Many people have trouble converting folic acid, which is synthetic, into a form useable by the body. And folic acid can actually cause a folate deficiency, which causes a form of anemia and fatigue. So Methylfolate or Metafolin is the bioactive form of folate, readily useable by the body. But, even though my energy increased on the Metafolin, I still kept crashing, but just felt better in between crashes.

So now I'm waiting a bit before pushing it to see if/when I will crash, if I've managed to increase my activity level. I have to drive a couple of hours to see my doctor next week and so will not be pushing it until after I see him - and actually the drive back and forth will be a good test.

So one more piece of the puzzle. This is the longest running jigsaw puzzle in the world I bet! (;D)

Also, I've gotten my digestion and adrenals into pretty good shape. If they were not, I don't think I'd be doing this well with these vitamins. I'm also taking d-ribose, Coenzyme Q10, magnesium, omega 3s, carnitine fumarate, etc. So it's important to cover all the bases -unfortunately, there are so many of them to cover! :(

I'll let you know how it all goes -

2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I hope things continue to work out well for you. Keep us updated.

Love, Mikie
  3. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Thank you so much for the tip, Mary.
    I've been taking regular B6 for a while and like you, it hasn't done anything noticeable. I think I'll go out and get some of this right now.

When I have overdosed on thyroid in the past, it felt like drinking too much coffee. My heart was pounding along with the insomnia.
    [This Message was Edited on 01/14/2012]
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Let us know how you do on the P5P. I am just so amazed at how well I feel on it. It took about 3 or 4 days before I really noticed the increase in energy.

Yesterday I cut my armour equivalent to 1/4 of my regular dose, and took two 25 mg. P5P (one a.m., one after dinner), and I slept finally pretty well last night. So I'm doing the same today and will see how it goes.

I don't think I've ever overdosed on thyroid, but a couple of days ago I did feel wired, sort of like too much coffee, although no heart pounding.

Best wishes,