Coenzyme Q10 (and other Coenzymes)

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Slayadragon, Oct 21, 2006.

1. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I tried a large dose of Coenzyme Q10--300 mg. This was based on the advice of someone on the board. (That person's comment was that it made the difference between staying in bed vs. being able to walk to the kitchen, which is certainly a substantial improvement.)

Today I'm feeling great.....undoubtedly the best I've felt since I got sick. I'm sure that part of it has to do with a colonic I had several days ago, since my belief is that it flushed the top layer of my yeast (dead and alive) out. But some of it has to do with the Coenzyme Q10, I feel quite sure.

I'll have to see how long the effect lasts. However, this is absolutely the same as the experience I had with NADH (also a coenzyme....I didn't realize that until recently).

A small dose of NADH (5 mg) did absolutely nothing for me, whereas 20 mg gave me a pretty big bump up. (Now I'm on 100 mg compounded. I'm not sure that it's better than 20 mg, but it's at least as good and substantially cheaper. Let me know if anyone wants to the info on how to get it.)

In reading up on this, I realized that coenzymes are only made by the body....they are not at all present in food sources.

Since my body is really bad at making other substances (such as all hormones, stomach acid and digestive enzymes), it only makes sense that it wouldn't be able to make coenzymes either.

So I'm hopeful that the Coenzyme Q10 will give me a long-term effect as well.

(I'm going to get more colonics too.....I think that they have real potential for me.)

I should have figured the stuff about the colonics out years ago. (The only way to get anywhere with this stupid disease is to figure out everything yourself, I think.) Still, better late than never.

So my new goal is to try as many other coenzymes as possible in high doses, to see if they help as well.

I know of one coenzyme, Coenzyme A. I took that in a small dose years ago, with no appreciable improvement. So I'm going to go back to that one at a higher dose and see what happens.

Does anyone know of any other coenzymes that I might try? If so, have you had any experience with them?

I will keep you informed about whether the Coenzyme Q10 and colonics continue to work.

Except with DHEA (about 6 months after I got sick), I've never ever gotten a bump up as big as this one, though. I feel almost normal, although I'm not inclined to push it. Not for the time being anyway.

And so I'm hopeful that at least one of the things that I've done this week will indeed stick, if I continue with them. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks so much!
  2. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

3. 1sweetie

1sweetie New Member

Very happy to hear of your good results with the higher dose of Q10. I have been thinking of purchasing the 400 mg pill ProHealth offers. They have recently lowered the price.

This is good news. Keep us informed.
  4. elliespad

elliespad Member

Lisa, can you tell me about your compouned NADH? The form, the cost? I take 15-20 mg. but is SO expensive and with all the other stuff I take, I would welcome a cheaper way to get it. Thanks.
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

also interested in the compounded NADH.. esp. yr source since I too am in Chicago.

Have u looked into AMP? I hear the FFCs are Rxing that in injectable form .. with B12 and glutathione.. Seems to help some wiht energy and such.

Also, can I ask where u went to get the colonics done.. and wot you're paying for them?

cheers
    delia

6. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

For reply later...
  7. BethM

BethM New Member

I started taking CoQ10 recently, started at 30mg, slowly increased to my current dose of 100mg daily. Any more than that and my digestive system begins to complain.

I have noticed a definite increase in energy with the CoQ10. I think it will be a permanent part of my daily routine.

I read somewhere that it should be taken with food, though, so I try to eat breakfast soon after taking it.

Peace,
    Beth.
  8. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

The compounded NADH is a sublingual. (NADH breaks down with stomach acid, and so the sublingual gets around that problem.)

You can get 10 to 100 mg for the same price--about $25 for 30 tablets.

I would suggest getting 100 mg and then (if price is still an issue) breaking them in half to see if your result is as good as with a whole one.

My doctor recommended 100-200 mg per day. I generally take 100.

You need a doctor's prescription. However, since NADH is the one substance that has a decent amount of research behind it for CFS, I would imagine a lot of doctors would supply such a prescription.

My insurance does not cover this, since NADH is available over the counter.

Here is the pharmacy info. (Sorry, it's not in Chicago.)

Belmar Pharmacy
    12860 West Cedar Street
    Suite 210
    Lakewood, CO 80228
    800-525-9473
    303-763-5533

9. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

On Thursday I went to Chicago Colonics. It is in Chicago, on Lincoln near (I believe) Foster.

I already had another appointment for Monday with another place and so I'm going to keep it and try it as a comparison. She is on the north side of Chicago too.

I was happy with the first place, but I thought it might be good to get a comparison.

The recommendations I'm getting for yeast seem to be something like two the first week, two the second week, one every week for four weeks, and then regularly after that.

I'm thinking that maybe with one every month or maybe two after that, along with the usual yeast remedies, I can keep the yeast at bay once and for all.

The colonics are somewhere in the neighborhood of $100 each.

I'm feeling really good again this morning. It's an unusual feeling. I just feel normal. No 100% the super-energetic person that I used to be, but really perfectly fine. Not hyper, not pushing myself, just fine.

(Except for being annoyed that my Wi-Fi seems to be broken, but that has nothing to do with CFS.)

I'll let you know about my comparisons with regard to the colonics experiences after my appointment on Monday.

10. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Not ATP? Somehow I remember that being in a injectable along with some other stuff (maybe it was glutathione) that I did a while back. I don't recall that helping a lot, but maybe it was being masked by other symptoms (like yeast).

Now I can't do any injectables where you have to pass a needle through a rubber stopper, since I have a deadly latex/rubber allergy. (An allergy that I think I got from having too many of that kind of shot, btw.)

In any case, I will look into this further. Thanks for the suggestion.
  11. cct

cct Member

Belmar Pharmacy is about a mile from my house!

I became familiar with them when I was taking bio-identical hormones. (Belmar compounds hormones as well.)

Belmar is staffed by a group of very nice and very helpful people.

They are a compounding pharmacy that is primarily involved in mail-order supply. They are not your typical, walk up to the counter give them the Rx and wait, kind of place.

There are only about a dozen compounding pharmacies in the United States (the last time I checked). You might be able to find one closer to Chicago if you did an internet search.
  12. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

Belmar people have always been really nice to me on the phone (under their old owners and the new ones). It's good to get verification of that.

There's no reason not to do mail order as far as I can see, though. If your doctor calls in the prescription, you get it within a couple of days.

They didn't used to charge postage, but now it may be a small amount. Nothing major.
  13. deliarose

deliarose New Member

No, i believe the FFCs started off with ATP and switched to AMP.

dunno the difference...and i have also heard from one FFC patient who said she didn't feel any different on it.

But I do well on B12 and would like to try this shot..

BTW, I am feeling better and better on my current protocol of Transfer Factor and glutathione plus the usual fistful of supps.

I have been working on trying to increase glutathione .. Ivs..undenatured whey.. the oral reduced liposomal kind..

and my brain is feeling clearer

course I also just went back on sleeping meds..and that cld be helping..

just fyi.. and my protocol is all of 6 weeks old!

be well
    delia
  14. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I just read recently that this coenzyme is found in red meats especially lamb. That's why I always felt better when I ate meat! I bumped up my dose from 100 to at least 200 per day and really noticed a difference. I added corvanlen which is d ribose and noticed an even bigger difference in my energy. Also the mito max NT factor. Those three things have made a huge difference in my energy levels.
  15. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I think the undenatured whey is helpful for me too.

I tend to think it works better for detoxification than for energy production though. (Glutathione does both.)

For instance, when I've taken meds that have created a bad taste in my mouth, it has immediately gone away once I started the undenatured whey a couple times a day.

I use it mostly when my body is feeling kind of icky, which happens on occasion.

I'm pretty sure I did use the ATP/Glutathione (or some type of mixture like that) about, hmm, six years ago. I don't recall it being noticeably helpful.

The B12 (another coenzyme, btw) did help.....at least with my coordination. My golf swing got a lot better. I'm not sure about energy, but I'm in better shape overall now than I was then.

I've been using the sublinguals, but I'm going to try to up the amount (doing it 2-3 times a day) to see iff I get another boost. Once I settle down into this level (hope it remains), that is.
  16. elliespad

elliespad Member

Thank you lisa for the info on the NADH. Will ask my doc to Rx. the high dose. Man, $30 for 30 - 100 mg tabs would be cheap. Thank you.
  17. Slayadragon

Slayadragon New Member

I was of the impression that coenzymes aren't available in any foods, but I could be wrong. Or it could be that the stuff necessary to make CoQ10 is especially prevalent in red meat. Anyway, I feel much better when I eat red meat too. Not every day, but a few times a week anyway.
  18. spacee

spacee Member

B....

Spacee
  19. redhowdy222

redhowdy222 New Member

Help-- I took 200 mg. of coQ 10 and 1000mg. of coenzyme A and I feel horrible. i took them at the same time. Am I not suppossed to take them at the same time? I was expecting this great burst of energy, and unfortunately feel really yucky. Any advice?
    Cyndee
  20. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I wonder what happened? Did you take with food? I know that CoenzymeQ10 needs to be taken with food that has some fat in order to absorb.

Anyone else ever have this reaction?