Coffee and Fibro Question?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Summit, Sep 13, 2006.

1. Summit

Summit New Member

Every thing I read etc. says that persons with fibro should Not drink caffiene. I love my coffee, loathe to give it up (I did switch to decaf when I had stomach problems) So, isnt' that ok? anyone have actual experience with quitting coffee, and having it help their fibro. Cause for me, nothing seems to help much with the fibro!
  2. happycanuk

happycanuk New Member

I quit driking coffee for about 4 years. I went to Decaf. However, I have been having so many bouts of fatigue that coffee is something I seem to need to get some energy. I never felt one bit different drinking it or not.
  3. boltchik

boltchik New Member

My dr. has never asked me to give up caffeine, just cut back. They are always stressing on how people in our situation need to cut back on sugar. What does the info. you are reading say about why people with fibro should not drink caffeine? I am curious to know. I need my Starbucks!!!!! Lol!!! Kim
  4. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

I lol when I read "I loathe to give it up" I am cutting down from 2 cups to 1 cup. My naturopath says one cup is fine. But wouldn't you know that I'm stuck at 1.5 cups and am having the hardest time! My dear husband told me "yeah, but they're small cups" as he grinned at me. I think I will get down to one cup and see how it goes. Best of luck!!!

5. Summit

Summit New Member

I would have to do some searching to find more specific articles on the coffee thing, but here's acouple that say quit coffee/caffiene. I'll have to get back to you

MATALLANA

This is a question that I get a lot. Currently research has not shown any one specific diet to be outstanding above others. However, we do know that people with fibromyalgia tend to do best on a diet that eliminates sugar, caffeine, preservatives and additives, alcohol, and in some cases, if you have been tested for food allergies, to eliminate those foods.

It's important to maintain a healthy diet in order to prevent vitamin and mineral deficiencies. Oftentimes people with fibromyalgia tend to eat carbohydrates in order to boost their fatigue level; however, in the long run this ends up creating energy rushes and then a time where fatigue sets in. So it is better to try to eat smaller meals where you balance both protein and carbohydrates.

http://www.ctds.info/fibro-avoid.html

The foods below are ones that I found it is best to limit tohelp my fibromyalgia and related symptoms.

Foods I try to limit or avoid altogether:
    Whole and refined grains, except for small amounts of rice, pasta and tortillas

Most salads and raw vegetables

Potatoes, carrots and other root vegetables (because of their high glycemic index).

Most spices, especially garlic

Onions

Olive oil

Coffee, and anything else with caffeine

Anything with yeast, sugar, trans fats, dyes, preservatives, fortification, sulfites, artificial nitrites

Fruit juice

High vitamin C foods

Any kind of tea

Cranberries, strawberries, blueberries and most other berries

High glycemic foods

Mushrooms - because it is a type of fungi

Tofu

Soy milk

Lemon juice or hot lemon water

Milk and most dairy products except as noted above

I avoid most of these foods because they are either high in salicylates, sugar or vitamin C or they lower magnesium levels.

6. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

I used to drink a lot of coffee - 8 to 10 strong cups a day. When I got fibro/cfs, my doc. strongly recommended I give it up and I did for about 5 years. Now I have about 3 cups a week.

I do not know if giving up coffee helped or not. However, my doc. said that if I had to have coffee, it was better to have "real" coffee than decaf. Apparently, the manufacturers use various chemicals to reduce - not eliminate the caffine - which can actually affect cfs people more than the caffine.

It is a difficult thing to give up. I still long for more sometimes. But I have decided to put trying to get better first, but a little coffee does not seem to be too harmful surely. But check out the decaf and the chemicals used. Could be worse than just having the real thing.

7. mollystwin

mollystwin New Member

I gave it up for a few weeks but really missed it. I drink one cup in the am and that's it. I sleep better now, so I think it helps me.
  8. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Sometimes I think we have to quit being so afraid of hurting ourselves and allow some joy into our lives. The stress of trying to do things perfectly is worse for us than a cup of coffee or whatever. If coffee gives you pleasure and doesn't make your symptoms worse, I say go for it.

I have CFS with a dash of FM and wish I could drink coffee but it makes me too hyper, even decaf. If I could drink it I would and damn the torpedoes.

Marta
  9. phoebe1

phoebe1 New Member

I gave up "real" coffee because the caffeine affected my stomach, but I remember when I had a bad headache I used to have a big cup of coffee and a chocolate and it usually helped the pain. I really miss it!

I don't feel any better since eliminating caffeine.
    Just remember moderation, most experts agree that there is nothing wrong with 2 cups of coffee a day.

Phoebe
  10. StephieBee

StephieBee New Member

Fibro or not...I continue to drink my coffee.

I am from the Boston area and us Bostonians are nuts about our coffee (only Dunkin Donuts).

Every morning, I get a large iced coffee. It is a must.

I have no adverse reactions to drinking my one large iced coffee a day. I have never been told to give it up, and its not like Im drinking pots upon pots of coffee a day.

I say 'phooey' to the whole NO caffeine bit. I believe in limiting it, even healthy people should.

Stephanie
  11. Bren2135

Bren2135 New Member

I limit some things I love, to be healthier..

Doritos.. sausage.. salty foods..

But coffee? So far, I can keep it! (fingers double crossed!)

A cup in the morning makes me happy - gets everything moving! And that's a good thing for me!

Hugs,
    Brenda
  12. morningsonshine

morningsonshine New Member

There was a supper good article i just read about this on Women to Women, (great site with alot of good articles).

Of course now i can't find the coffee one, it's on my computor that crashed! umf!

Basically it told about the good and bad of coffee, saying in moderation, it could be benefical,

However, Not for us with CFS, don't because relying on it for energy, when we are already depleted, is just messing up our adrenals even more.

It explained everything very well.

I love coffee, and occasionally indulge in a cup, but once in awhile it creeps up and i start having a cup a day, it never fails, i start haveing tacychardia problems.

and being more dehydrated than normal.

So,, I have to be careful, and stick to green tea, but i love the stuff! Special with cream and stevia.

13. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

Most of you are saying you feel no better after giving up coffee. Some of you have switced to decaf. Someone else said decaf is worse than regular because of the chemical process used to remove the caffiene.

You can get Swiss Water Decaf. coffee at most grocery stores. It's a decaf process that does not use chemicals. I use half Swiss Water Decaf and half regular coffee, and it seems to work well for me. I usually have two cups in the a.m. Just love the smell, warmth, etc. If it meant I'd feel better to give it up, I suppose I would.
    Mini
  14. Loveyame

Loveyame New Member

my doc said no caffine because I could not sleep-but I have found that if I only drink coffee in the am-it does not change my sleep pattern.

Then on the other hand-my husband's heart doc told him to drink 1 cup of regular coffee per day. It is good for his heart! Makes no sense to me!!!!

Love Ya me
  15. Summit

Summit New Member

What is tacychardia problems?
  16. Summit

Summit New Member

I had some bad stomach problems for while, my arth doc said quit drinking caffienated coffee. So, I switched to decalf. I have not had a problem since. I dont' drink coffee for energy. I just like coffee. I will have to try and do some research on the decalf thing. Thanks for your response.
    ps. I am trying to get myself used to drinking green tea (but gag!) it's not going well
  17. Summit

Summit New Member

"damn the torpedoes" I love that, LOL
  18. Summit

Summit New Member

Of course drinking coffee and eating chocolate will help a headache. Most the pills for headaches contain caffiene in them. Next time you have a headache, try massaging your temples and forehead. Also, there is a accupressure point, the web of skin between your thumb and pointer finger, with 2 fingers squeeze that area for a few minutes. A good foot massage will also often relieve a headache. Good luck to you!
  19. Summit

Summit New Member

Like you Bostonians, use Norweigens love our coffee. You walk into someones house, and you Know that the coffee pot is on (24/7) LOL
  20. Summit

Summit New Member

Thanks for that info. I will have to try and find some Swiss water decalf. Then I can have my coffee and not feel like I'm doing something "wrong" LOL thanks again