Coffee Brewer Finally Crapped Out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mikie, May 11, 2011.

1. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was bittersweet because I didn't like the old one but didn't want to spend the money for a new one. The old one ground coffee beans fresh if I wanted to do that. It was a pain to clean the grinder so I just used ground. It didn't heat the water hot enough and there was no warming element for the pot to sit on. The pot was a stainless thermal pot.

I got another Cuisinart but this one uses the Keurig cups (or I can use my own coffee). The water is nice and hot but I have to play around with the mug size. I tried Newman's Own and it was horrible--waaaay too strong. I think I have to try a larger cup size. It came with two other brands and I hope I'll like one of them better. I tried Caribou Coffee at the neighbor's and it was good. I can always use my own in the little filter which came with it.

Anyone have a favorite brand?

Love, Mikie
  2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I don't drink coffee, but I like the aroma.

I remember when I was a kid and would go out to my relatives farm.
    Aunt Myrtle made coffee on top of the range in a big enamelware
    pot. It was blue.

She always added egg shells to the brew.

My mother used egg shells too. Not for coffee, but for watering her
    house plants. She soaked the shells in water. Was supposed to
    give the plants calcium, I guess.

In the early 50s, electricity came to the farms in SE Minnesota. My
    folks bought Aunt Myrtle an electric percolator. The test flight didn't
    go so well. Darn thing just wouldn't heat up.

Finally somebody thought to plug it in.

3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

It was the Corning white with the blue cornflower design. I had a little tea pot to match. I still think that old percolated coffee tasted best. I've heard that the best is made with the French coffee presses. Oh well, at least, this one looks nice :)

Love, Mikie
  4. victoria

victoria New Member

I've heard that really fresh beans roasted make the best, there was some company that was advertising online that said most roasted beans were really old by the time they got to the stores here. Somehow I wouldn't doubt that. I remember my aunt making chestnut stuffing for her turkey, I never liked it til one year she went to France in the fall and brought back fresh chestnuts. Nowadays of course you can buy pretty fresh chestnuts, judging from the flavor.

I've also heard that fresh beans off the plant really have a kick of caffeine to them. There are still some coffee plantations within a 3 hour drive to where I lived in Mexico, but never got to go to one and try it.

Rock, what are eggshells supposed to do for coffee brewing?

I always thought aluminum in the old percolators would be a really bad thing since coffee is so acidic.

I had a french press, but it broke :( Bottom line I think is the beans one uses.

It would be great to throw a coffee tasting party like people do for wine. I know people who love Starbucks expresso (not the regular coffee) while others hate it. I love the aroma of coffee too, but don't like coffee unless it has cream and even better, chocolate in it or with it.

5. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

What do egg shells do for coffee? A very good question, Victoria. I asked
    when I was a kid. Was told they settled the grounds. I think in those days
    the coffee was just dumped into the water. No basket.

(I meant to post that originally, but nowadays I'm lucky if I can find
    the room that has the computer in it. Anyhoo...)

I looked on the net and found the same answer. Settles the grounds.

And found some additional ideas. The egg shells mellow the flavor because they are
    alkaline; counteract the acidity of the coffee.

And then I found something called Norwegian Egg Coffee "popular with
    Lutherans in the Mid-West". Some gal got the recipe from a mystery
    she was reading.

A restaurant served coffee made with eggs. Not only the shells but the
    contents. The cook mixed the broken eggs and shells in the basked with
    the ground coffee. I would think you'd get poached eggs, but the result
    was said to be very good.

My mother drank a lot of coffee (like most Norwegians) and was very
    annoyed with scientists who kept coming up w/ contradictory reports.
    Coffee is bad for you. No, it's good for you. She gave it up for a month or
    so and suffered terribly. I see the scientists are still doing it.

I'll take a coke any day.

Oops! Forgot something else that's coffee-related. Dave
    Barry and his friend Ridley Pearson were in the market
    one time. Ridley writes thrillers. He and Dave and a
    buncha other writers like Amy tan and Stephen Kings are
    in a band called the Rock Bottom Remainders.

Anyhoo Ridley said a coffee grinder in a market would be
    an untraceable way to murder somebody. You put poison
    in the grinder and the next user will have a deadly
    additive in the coffee.

I thought of this because I have an R. Pearson book
    on hold. Or maybe it was the other way round.

Bon Appetit!
    [This Message was Edited on 05/12/2011]
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Fad among the wealthy and weird are coffee beans found on the ground in the feces of some small animal in the jungle (can't remember which animal). They eat the beans which pass through intact, kinda like corn with us, but I digress... These beans are collected and, I assume, cleaned before they are sent to be ground and made into coffee. Think I'll pass on that one. Perhaps something in the animals' stomach acid or enzymes makes the coffee better. I would think this could be synthesized for those of us who are squeamish about eating animal dung.

I used the little filter and made my own half-caf and it was pretty good. The Caribou is really good and you can reuse the K-cup, making one 12-oz. cup and than a 10-oz. cup. I'm starting to like the machine. I'm just surprised at how awful a lot of the K-cup coffee tastes. I also like chocolate in my coffee with some whipped cream on top.

When I'm in Miami, I always try to have some Cuban coffee. It's strong, like espresso, and loaded with sugar. Not something to drink before bedtime.

Love, Mikie
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Of flavored coffees but around the holidays, I'll drink an eggnog coffee. We all get our coffee at Bed, Bath & Beyond because if we buy two boxes, we can use our $5 off coupon, which is slightly more than the 20 percent coupon which can only be used on one item. With the $5 coupon, you have to spend at least $15 but you can buy two things that add up to at least $15. That way, a box only costs $8.50.

I'll have to try the half-caff. That's what I've always drunk from the old coffee pot. What I made with my own coffee in the little extra filter wasn't bad.

Love, Mikie
  8. lgp

lgp Well-Known Member

My regular filter coffee pot is a Farberware. I had the same Cuisinart as you but it konked pretty quickly on me. I needed to replace it ASAP and Bed Bath and Beyond had the Farberware on sale. I also had the 20% off coupon so it was a pretty sweet deal. I also have a Keurig one cup coffee maker that uses the pods because in the morning my hubby is the only one drinking coffee and he only has time for one cup, so it works nicely for us. The pod we like best is the Keurig Green Mountain Coffee 'Dark Magic'. I do not care for the hot chocolate pods though; way too watery and you have to run water thru the machine after to expel the chocolate flavor.

We are very lucky to have a small local coffee house by us and the owner is passionate about coffee. He only selects the finest coffees, many fair trade, and he is a walking encyclopedia on coffee beans, healthy processing and blends. We buy coffee from him fairly regularly, but it is pricey at 12.95 a pound. So I do keep other supermarket coffee in the house because when my daughters are home from college, they will make endless pots of coffee. I buy Maxwell House Lite (half caf) and use the Farberware pot to make it. My husband claims he hates it...but he likes it when I make it! Go figure. BTW, I've been buying my pods at J.C.Penney. Every few weeks or so I get a coupon in the mail for $10 off any purchase. So I pick up two boxes and get $10 off. Not too shabby!!

Someone posted about the French press coffee maker. I remember reading awhile ago that it is actually an unhealthy method for the stomach, that this type of press actually expresses the maximum bad oils from the bean into the coffee.

My mother, God bless her, still makes percolated coffee in a glass coffee pot on the stove. It is so strong, if I drink a cup, I swear I'll be up for two days!! I guess it's teatime for me at mom's!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/13/2011]
  9. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Almost everyone loves coffee and we all have our favorites. I think the Newman's best was too strong when I made it. Next time I use it, I'll make a bigger cup. I like the Green Mountain and Caribou. I also like to add some cinnamon as it makes the coffee taste good without making it taste flavored. I never thought of Penney's for coffee; I'll have to check it out.

Publix often has their gourmet coffee on a BOGO and I usually pick mine up then. I have a stockpile so will have to use it up in my little filter. It takes some experimenting at getting just the right amount of coffee and water. My old Cuisinart never made the water hot enough. When I bought this one, I swore if the water wasn't hot, I'd return it. It's nice and hot.

I think if I make hot chocolate, I'll just use hot water and mix in a packet of the chocolate. I like the Abuelaita Mexican hot chocolate. I noticed when I was in Mexico, the chocolate tasted different, even Hershey bars. Milk, eggs and butter tasted different too. Victoria, did you notice that?

Thanks for all the advice and discussion. I've enjoyed finding out how y'all make and like your coffee. Too bad we can't all get together in our jammies and robes in the morning and have a chat over coffee together. I guess this is the next best thing.

Love, Mikie
  10. Ranigar

Ranigar Member

Some yrs. back my BIL got us hooked on Gevalia coffee that you sign up to order.Loved the mild blend.I drank coffee all day and still couldn't keep up with the amount they wanted to send.It was pricey and I discontinued.
    We had a coffeemaker that blended the beans and brewed and that was good but when it broke we replaced it with an ordinary grind coffeemaker.My stomach can only handle a small cup now and I still feel a little sick from the acid but don't want to give it up.I use Dunkin Dounuts brand.

I like a Vanilla Latte and used to order Cafe Mocha for a treat but plain old coffee for the first of the day with a little milk and sweetener.

11. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Likes the Dunkin Donut coffee too. I never get it because, while it's on sale now and then, it's never on a BOGO at Publix. Right now, I'm using up some of the 48 K-cups which came with the new coffee maker. I bought another 36 of the Caribou because I like it. I like half-caff so will probably get the Green Mtn. I love it in the regular. I've found myself, for the first time, wanting a cup early in the afternoon.

Coffee is about the only vice I have left.

Love, Mikie
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

More and more, researchers are touting the benefits of caffein taken in moderatiion. Heck, my doc wants me drinking a beer or a glass of wine daily for my health. I have been doing so much to get ready for my injections that I haven't been drinking. My BP has fallen and is really good now. I think I've lost some weight and I definitely feel better.

Love, Mikie
  13. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

My daughter goes to Dunkin' Doughnut's every day but Sunday for a cup of coffee. They recognize her and have it ready for her.

She also got me a Black and Decker (before they got expensive) single cup pot and I love it. I try to experiment with flavors but am not big on flavored creamers. There is sweetener in them and i do not like sugar in my coffee!

I do love mocha flavored treats though===love McDonalds Mocha Frappe-got hooked last summer so drank them, only once a week though, all winter. Shivered afterwards.

Have fun with coffee!@

14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

of everyone's favorite blend for each of you in my virtual kitchen where we meet like old friends. It warms my heart just to think about it. As long as it's virtual, we might as well serve up some donuts and other goodies :)

Love, Mikie