I am on a mission to rid myself of all harmful perservatives in food This morn, I started to read my coffee cream label It said it contains Sodium Citrate I looked it up on the net and this is what it said. Is this dangerous stuff, or am I reading it wrong?? Health Effects: Inhalation: Harmful if inhaled. Material is extremely destructive to tissue of the mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract. Inhalation may result in spasm, inflammation and edema of the larynx and bronchi, chemical pneumonitis and pulmonary edema. Symptoms of exposure may include burning sensation, coughing , wheezing, laryngitis, shortness of breath, headache, nausea and vomiting. Eyes/Skin: Harmful if absorbed through skin. Material is extremely destructive to tissue of the eyes and skin. Absorption into the body leads to the formation of methemoglobin which in sufficient concentration causes cyanosis. Onset may be delayed 2 to 4 hours of longer. Ingestion: Harmful if swallowed. Note: To the best of our knowledge, the chemical, physical and toxicological properties have not been thoroughly investigated. First Aid: Inhalation: If inhaled, remove to fresh air. If not breathing give artificial respiration. If breathing is difficult, give oxygen. Eyes: In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes. Assure adequate flushing of the eyes by separating the eyelids with fingers. Skin: In case of contact, immediately flush skin with copious amounts of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Ingestion: If swallowed, wash out mouth with water provided person is conscious. Call a physician immediately. Clothing: Wash contaminated clothing before reuse.