Coffee, good bad or it doesn't matter

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by myjoy, Feb 20, 2007.

1. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Ok, I love coffee! I drink 2 large mugs of regular almost every morning. I don't drink it the rest of the day.

I have had a couple folks tell me that it's really bad for Fibro. I find (because I have trouble with fatigue) that it helps me get going as well as I can in the morning.

I'm also very stiff all over my body in the morning, and just wrapping my hands around that warm mug makes me feel better.

Can this be so bad for me? I don't really like decaf, and it does nothing to help me get going.

Thanks for your help, fellow sisters and brothers!

myjoy
  2. SleepyMama

SleepyMama New Member

I get where you're coming from. I do find that at times caffeine aggrivates my anxiety and leaves me shaky so i have to lay off for a few months at a time, but for the most part I LOVE my coffee and I beleive that this may be one of those "everything in moderation" topics. I also beleive that you have to pay attention to how it affects you.If you don't know how you feel without it, maybe you should quit for a couple months just to see. Do you notice any changes? Good or bad? If you wean yourself back on how does that affect you?
    I make a point of detoxing my system at least once a year but cutting out all questionable substances and drinking LOADS of water for a couple weeks at least.
  3. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

I have read a bunch of stuff over the years about how coffee isn't good for you. I personally can't drink it because it makes my heart go crazy with palpitations etc. Caffine is a big no no for me...even before the CFS.

I guess you will have to determine on your own if you are better off with it or with out it. If you need it to get through the day and nothing else can give you the same help than you may just keep on with the coffee.

Here is part of an article I found. This part talks about using coffee for energy. If you want the whole article here is the link. http://www.cbn.com/health/NaturalHealth/coffee.aspx

Take Care,
    Pam

"But what about using coffee as an energy booster? Is coffee really helping to pick you up like you think it is? The main ingredient in coffee is caffeine, which acts as a central nervous system stimulant. Stimulants can give you a false feeling of energy, causing your body to experience a "spike and crash" syndrome. They can cause you to become restless and jittery. When we rely on stimulants for our energy, we take our bodies on a sort of roller coaster ride. Many of us wake up tired and drag ourselves to the kitchen to make a pot of coffee. We drink that first cup and feel like we've been re-charged! But before we know it, we "crash." You might have felt like you were on a peak, but then the artificial boost brought you crashing down like the proverbial roller coaster. And so we reach for another cup to pick us up again. And the cycle goes on and on. It's no wonder so many people reach a point in the middle of the afternoon where they feel so tired that they reach for a candy bar or a caffeinated soda… or maybe yet another cup of coffee. We're looking for that energy "high" again.

But this false energy from stimulants is not a healthy choice. It's important to find healthy ways to energize ourselves; to keep optimal energy levels naturally and maintain an even keel throughout the day. If you're using coffee as a "pick-me-up," you'd be much better switching to a non-stimulant energy producer. Many people use a natural substance from the beehive called Royal Jelly for added energy, stamina and vitality.* This type of "natural" energy is beneficial, because it does not put our bodies on a roller coaster ride from that "spike and crash" syndrome."
  4. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

two mugs of coffee every morning. Will not give it up.

If I want a coffee later I have decaf and my husband makes a great cup of tea.

Rosiebud
  5. katvwolf

katvwolf New Member

It is funny that you brought this up, because someone on here the other night commented on my coffee drinking out of the blue.

I'm the same EXACT way and some people react to the fact that I drink coffee when I have fibro like I drink two cups of bleach in the morning! LOL!

My doc has never told me to cut out coffee, so I haven't worried about it. But, like you, I only drink two cups in the morning.

It seems sometimes like people tell you to cut it out of your diet if they've been told that. Unless your physician recommends it, I would enjoy the java as you are. Just because some people react adversely to it, doesn't mean you do. You have to do what is best for you/what comforts you.

Drink up!

Kat
  6. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

I wouldn't be alive without it! I drink Starbucks!! :)
  7. suzetal

suzetal New Member

One reason is that the caffeine can affect some medications .I have my 2 cups 2 hours before my medication.

You can research the medication your on to see if it affects any of them.

I had stopped for about six months but I was so grabby that my family were going nuts so I started the 2 cups up again.

Sue
  8. myjoy

myjoy New Member

Thanks kat!

My doc has never said anything about giving it up either, and I don't feel it causes me any trouble. So I'm going to enjoy my daily 2 mugs...and not feel guilty about something for once!

It looks like it's about 50/50 (with folks here) on whether it's ok or not, so I'm taking my chances.

Thanks for everyone's comments.

myjoy
  9. Susan07

Susan07 New Member

I'll drink to that, lol!

My doc told me if it's not affecting me badly in any way don't worry about it.

I have 2 cups every morning too when I was working I drank even more.
  10. homesheba

homesheba New Member

didnt know that about starbucks.. wow, i love coffie. drink 2 in the morning and maybe another later in day... love it love it love it...

still feel lousy tho even without drinking it...:)
  11. bunnyfluff

bunnyfluff Member

OMG!!! I love the taste of it sooo much! I'll have to look into that. Not sure I can find a worthy substitute. :(
  12. Zzzsharn

Zzzsharn New Member

I'm weening from coffe-- to hot green tea.. I hear the tea is great for your metabolisim.. so I'm trying it..

I still like coffee and i have one every now and then..

Zzz
  13. Krackitty

Krackitty New Member

...in general, anyway.
    I read this big article in....great, now I can't remember. Anyway, it was about how coffee is actually more beneficial than it is harmful. Now, I know some people are more sensitive to it than others (and I totally believe FM sufferers might be more likely to not tolerate it well), but in general coffee actually good for you. The article listed all kinds of mental and physical benefits of drinking it, and one doctor quoted that he wouldn't even discourage someone with a 5-6 cup a day habit.
    Of course there are dissenting opinions about this, and I would encourage everyone who's curious to look up studies and read articles presenting both sides. You know how it goes "X is bad for!" then ten years later: "X is great for your health!"
    Same with coffee, I'm sure.
    On a personal note, I gave up coffee for about a month, and though I didn't crave it or anything, I felt worse on average than I did when drinking 1 measly cup every morning. I drank some today, and I feel better than I have in two weeks. So I also will not be giving up my joe.
  14. lilaclover30

lilaclover30 New Member

I have just begun drinking coffee again (about 6 mons. ago) after being off of it for a few years.

I like it with the flavored creamer in it - French vanilla - and have it with friends 6 days a week. I do not like Starbucks ----tooj strong. It does leave me still thirsty though. It used to give me a little jolt but that has passed.

Joan
  15. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I have cut back but not out ;-) and I would rather not drink anything if I have to go decaf (yick)
  16. myjoy

myjoy New Member

I heard the same thing too, but don't remember where...that coffee has good benefits. Maybe that's why lots of dr's aren't condemning it so much anymore.

Thanks for reminding me about that.

I like the idea of trying hot green tea like someone suggested. I might just do that, and cut back a little on the coffee. I just hate to get rid of something that I look forward to every day.

myjoy