Cognitive behaviour therapy and Graded exercise Anyone?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tanu, Jun 2, 2006.

1. tanu

tanu New Member

CBT and Graded exercise [programme has been the most effective treatments in CFS according to a recent article in a medical journal called Lancet.
    Has anyone had it?Who did you go to?
  2. KelB

KelB New Member

I've had CBT and it helped me back to full-time work. As with all things CFS, it isn't guarantee to help everyone. However, mine covered many "tips and tricks" for living better with CFS and I'm sure most people would find at least one or two useful techniques.

I had mine from an Occupational Therapist at a hospital Chronic Fatigue Unit.

My provisos if considering it:
    1) It is a coping mechanism, not a cure. Anyone who says that CBT "cures" CFS, doesn't know what they're on about.
    2) The CBT needs to be given by someone who understands CFS and accepts that it has physical origins. If CBT is given by someone who believes that CFS is purely psychological, they could end up doing damage.
    3) CBT isn't a magic wand. It takes a bit of self-discipline to follow some of the techniques and it may be weeks or months before you start feeling any benefit.

There have been some interesting discussions on CBT recently - you should be able to find them if you use the search facility.

GET - absolute load of old cobblers, not to mention illogical. Run a mile. The GET approach says that the fatigue is caused by your muscles wasting away due to lack of exercise. All you have to do is gradually build up your stamina and you're cured. In my case, I can walk for a couple of miles on a good day. I've never had anyone explaine how my "wasted" muscles can do that!

The Lancet is a UK-based journal and the psychological model for CFS still prevails in the British medical establishment. After all the recent research pointing to specific, diagnostic physical symptoms, it's galling to find the Old Guard flogging the "it's all in their minds" approach to the last.
  3. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

GET made me very much worse. The 25% M.E. Group (severely affected) called it a 'form of torture'. I wish the psychologists & psychiatrists would leave our ( very real physical)illness alone.
  4. NyroFan

NyroFan New Member

Tanu:

I agree with Smiffy and not to be controversial I see CFS as a stealth infection that causes all kinds of physical problems. Quite naturally CBT can help in dealing with the physical, but barely. (Just my thoughts on it).

nyrofan
  5. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I agree with the other posters. These are coping remedies at best... and I imagine GET could be counter productive for a lot of people with chronic fatigue..

The British medical establishment has a long way to go with regard to CFS...

I would refer you to my other post on another thread you started regarding the FFC. You might be better off trying to boost your immune system/health with vitamins and probiotics than trying to exercise your way out of this.

Some folks have also been helped by some of the drugs out there. Sleep meds, stimulants (Provigil), ADD and ADHD drugs, Adderral etc..

Best
    Delia