Cognitive Behaviour therapy?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrolady37, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Has anyone had this as Im waiting for an apt & Im bit unsure as to what it is.
    Got alot of emotional stuff to deal with & been told this will help.
    Any info much appreciated soft hugs (((((((((((( sharon d
  2. angeldust

angeldust New Member

Hi Sharon

I'm waiting for an appointment for cbt too. I know others who have had cbt and its really helped them, some say it was vital in their recover from CFS. It all about thinking more positively about your illness and agreeing to doing set tasks between each cbt session. You dont have to agree to do anything you dont want to do. Its a great opportunity to talk about your problems as well, which in itself can be very healing. I think cbt or something similar should be available to everyone with a chronic illness. Hope it works out for you.
  3. cakli1

cakli1 New Member

Cognitive Behavioral therapy is used to allow individuals to learn to think about things in different viewpoints and then the change in behavior will follow. It may help you as far as FM goes to think of the illness in different ways than you are presently. Also, it helps with other of lifes problems. Don't be afraid, it is difficult to change, but change will open many new avenues.
  4. Ipegasus

Ipegasus New Member

Hi there,

I have attended a CBT training and it was great. If you have a good to work with a group of therapist who were familiar with the problems caused by FM. It helps you adjust to the changes that need to be made so that you can manage your life. It gets so hard to change and adapt to such a limiting lifestyle but once you realize it isn't the worse that can happen and that using distractive techniques will help you deal with the problems caused by chronic pain.

Good luck.

Pegasus
  5. HuggyMummy

HuggyMummy New Member

for me it was for OCD and clinical depression. It was only a v short course, but worked really well. CBT, relaxation classes and Seroxat (Paxil) tablets together caused my depression and OCD to be 99% cured.

I've also just read a book that is basically CBT for CFS; looks at CFS as a 'psychological' illness, which I disagree with, BUT the techniques involved are really v good.

Just be sure you have a good relationship with the person you are working with, and DON'T let them push you too hard to do anything you feel is impossible. With these provisos, I believe CBT is about the best 'therapy' there is.

With love and prayers
    Ruth