Cognitive dysfunction in the gut ?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by quilp, Nov 6, 2006.

1. quilp

quilp New Member

I have been unable to watch TV or go on the internet for several years, until recently. I have been given 'anti-viral herbs' that were supposed to get rid of the toxicity that were a cause of extreme fatigue and excess bloating, amongst a number of other symtoms. What i've found is that the cognitive dysfunction has all but cleared. I can watch TV, go on the internet.
    My theory is that the anti - virals along with the juiced vegetable diet has helped cleared the fungus which has stopped the toxins flooding into my body. Those very toxins were stressing the nervous system and causing the extreme form of cognitive dysfunction I was experiencing.
    Any thoughts please ?
  2. cct

cct Member

It does not surprise me that your cognitive function is better after you repaired some of your intestinal problems.

Did you know that we have many more neurotransmitters in our intestines than we do in our brains?

Some people make all of their decisions based on their "gut feelings". I think the amount of neurotransmitters in our intestines validates this decision-making/thinking process.
  3. victoria

victoria New Member

never thought about it that way.

but makes sense in another way too, that if we're not absorbing what we should, it will affect our brains?

Victoria

4. butterfly8

butterfly8 New Member

There is a defiinite link between brain function and gut function. My cfs doctor tried to explain it to me but my brain (and my gut) are not so good - so I could not really follow the technical stuff. So, I just take his word for it.

I also take kefir daily. I have been told that it could take up to 18 months for it to re-establish proper gut function for me.
  5. Marta608

Marta608 Member

We make 98% of serotonin in our gut so it makes sense that, as you clear up your gut, you'd clear up your head. Good job! It takes a lot of determination to do what you've done. What herbs were you given and by whom? I need to get back to juicing.

Keep up the good work!

Marta
  6. quilp

quilp New Member

The lady is a Chinese practitioner and in truth I don't really know what the herbs are called, but I will ask her and post the name on this website. I also plan to have a stool analysis for further confirmation.
    Thank you for your insight everyone, I really appreciated the feedback. Fancy having more neurotransmitters in the gut than in the brain ! What is interesting ( and perhaps unwise ) is that I have been reducing my dosage of AD's at the same time. Now I have tried to reduce this dosage on many occasions before but found that the withdrawal symptoms seem to exacerbate the CFS symptoms, which was truly frightening. At one stage I couldn't even look at a TV or even listen to the radio without instantly feeling worse ( and I was already feeling unwell ! )
  7. Marta608

Marta608 Member

Believe me, I know what you mean about symptoms getting worse when you try to get off ADs. I finally did but truly have never felt as well as I did before taking them. At the time I was going though the withdrawal (too quickly I later learned; I only took one month), it felt as if I was losing my mind on top of being exhausted. Not a good thing.

Thanks for checking out the herbs when you get a chance.

Marta
  8. findmind

findmind New Member

There's a very good book called "The Second Brain", all about the intestines and their neurotransmitting capabilities.

I read it about 7 years ago, and it was absolutely right on!

I'm moving next month, and I intend to ffix my diet and lifestyle, hoping to become stronger instead of frailer as I get into advanced middle age...that's a senior senior-citizen, LOL.

findmind

[ advertisement ]