COGNITIVE DYSFUNCTION

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lolalee, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

More and more I notice that I am suffering not only from terrible memory loss but also from increasingly severe cognitive dysfunction. Reading was one of my favorite activities and now I find myself reading and re-reading the same sentence over and over again and losing focus on the subject matter.

How bad a problem is this for you? Please share the severity of your cognitive dysfunction. How bad is it? Is it getting worse? Is it difficult for you to read long posts on this board?

I would appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

Lolalee
  2. angeljoe

angeljoe New Member

I feel embarrassed to be in a long conversation with friends anymore. I forget common vocabulary word in general conversation.

Reading use to be my greatest pleasure. I could get lost in a good novel, and finish it in a few quite hours. Honestly I've been trying to read "How to get lost" for a month now.

I'll pick it up and have to reread parts of it to remember what was going on. I can't beleive how I use to enjoy reading, and now can't follow a short story.

My cognitive problem has worsened severely over the past while. I forget how to spell the most simple words. I forget how to get to places I go often.

long posts to make me skip thru them. I just can't keep up anymore.
    Angela
  3. jyl

jyl Member

It's not just the normal brain fog anymore. I can't remember the most common words and I've been getting 'misplaced' more often when driving.

My biggest problem is I still work 40 hours a week at a clerical position and when I re-read things I've written or typed (even when I think my brain is working pretty well) I find I have left out words.

Thank goodness for spell check! My spelling and typing is so bad it's almost funny. I don't know how much longer I can hang in there.

Know that you are not alone.

jyl
  4. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I take care of my father who has alzheimers and I'm not sure who is worse sometimes. I am a programmer by trade and it makes it hard to remember all the tasks and projects I have to do on a daily basis. I have a PDA(handheld) computer where I try everyday to put in my to do list and mark it off but then I forget and leave it at home. I am always losing my cell phone, keys, garage door opener. And even one night lost my car. My Aunt who will be 100 in December is brighter than I am sometimes. But I also have MS and the lesions on the brain can also cause similar problems. Also I am on Klonapin which can make you foggy. I also take melatonin for sleep(works great) but I think I foget things. YOu are not alone. B12 shots help me. I give them to myself every other day. Good luck and gentle fibrohugs - Bobby
  5. Kimelia

Kimelia New Member

Omega 3 fish oils. The higher the numbers the better it is. Mine are around 600 combined. I can't remember what those numbers symbolize but you will see it on the bottle :)

Make sure it's mercury free. The best kind is not salmon as you would think but mackeral and some others that I can't remember, lol. Sorry.

I just started taking COQ10 too. I am only taking 30 mg but Im sure it'll help. Every little bit, right?

My memory sucks too but I am pretty sure the fish oils have been helping me.
  6. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I was convinced I was permanently brain damaged...but things seem to be improving since I started anti-viral meds.

If you've read my other posts.. you'll know I[m beginning to sound like a broken record.

But I'm so grateful that the fog is lifting...

Oh, and my doc says the brain needs glucose to function more than it needs oxygen...

Food for thought..
    Cheers
    Delia
  7. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

Thanks to all of you for letting me know that I have plenty of company. Personally, I think I need more protein. I don't know if would make a difference with the cognitive problems, but I think overall more protein would help other things. I just don't eat enough.

Lolalee
  8. mrpain

mrpain New Member

My story is the same as everybody else except for one strange twist. Yes I have cognitive problems especially when I'm talking and the simplist word comes, and I can't finish the sentence because of it. I have to go back and rephrase the sentence or the thought.

But the twist is, there are days, (not too many), but there are days where my mind is so crystal clear that I'm even impressed with myself.. I don't know what causes those days to happen, but my thoughts and speech are so clear and I can express myself like I wish I could on a regular basis.

If I could bottle those times I'd be in good shape. But unfortunatly, there are more stumblin bumblin days with speech and thought that it's embarrassing. And that's mainly why I had to retire from my career with early retirement.. It seems to me like a form of dementia and I often wonder if that's where I'm headed..
  9. ephemera

ephemera New Member

I'm constantly mixing up words & occasionally saying really funny combinations, but it makes me feel foolish & reluctant to talk. I know I could never give a defense of a thesis anymore. I couldn't even write it anymore!

I've found reading to be a real trial. Lately, I've tried reading aloud. Now I don't seem to be remembering much more & I do stumble over words I know I've known in the past, but it seems somewhat less frustrating. Just a bit, but a welcome sign nonetheless.
  10. azcactuslil

azcactuslil New Member

I am having the worst problems. I just lost a very good job because of it. I knew it was getting worse and worse no matter what I took. My job was detail oriented and I just couldn't keep up anymore. I had whole notebooks full of info to help me keep track but it just wasn't enough.

I am just sick about it.
  11. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

Cognitive Dysfunction was the primary reason I had to retire early. I believe I would have eventually lost my job if I had not retired. It is better not that I am out of the daily stress. I to don't read like I used to, its just tooooo hard.
  12. LittleBluestem

LittleBluestem New Member

As delarose said, the brain is very sensitive to glucose level. If you are not eating enough, and frequently enough, that will certainly cause brain dysfunction. Try eating frequent (as often as every three hours) small meals, each with some protein.
  13. LittleBluestem

What anti-viral meds are you taking?
  14. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

ANGELJOE -Conversations are a challenge and many times an embarrassment. Yes, isn't it a terrible shame that now that many of us have time to read, our brain dysfunction does not allow it. And, I do attempt to read long posts by also end up skipping over them, as well.

SKEESIX - I have been thinking of coq10. I take so many supplements now and always like to wait a while before trying a new one. Maybe it's time to take something for memory function.

JYL- the driving is a biggie for me as well...getting lost in familiar territory. People will say "do you know where such and such street is?" and I think "nope" but I say "I think so, yes it sounds familiar". Oh my, you still are working. The cognitive problems (along with the fatigue) were the biggest obstacles at my job. I couldn't leave my desk without a pad and pen for fear that someone would speak to me along the way and ask me to do something. I could not trust my memory. My boss would speak to me and I would hear "blah, blah, blah". His words made no sense. It was so embarrassing.

PITATOO - Oh I know what you mean about elders being more "on the ball". My dad is 88 and he's so much sharper than me.

WEBINTRIG - Well, I haven't forgotten my husband's name yet, but sometime when I try to have a conversations with him I wonder what he is thinking while I struggle to find the words to complete my thoughts. He sits there patiently waiting for me to finish and I feel like an idiot. Plus it takes so much energy to get all the words out that I'm exhausted by the time we finish our conversation.

KIMELIA - I'm take Omega 3 oils - maybe I need more. Thanks for the tip about mercury free and salmon vs. mackeral.

XCHOCOHOLIC - How right you are about seeing movies over and over. I've seen so many where I realize half way through that I've already seen it. Sometimes I don't even notice, I'm sure.

HAYLECOLE - Re your psych testing - that must have felt really weird. Yes, it certainly helps to have a sense of humor about it. My hubby is starting to forget things either from aging or just not paying attention to me the first time around (he'll never admit that). My dysfunction helps me to be a lot kinder to him. I realize that he puts up with a lot more with my memory loss.

DELIAROSE - I may have read your anti-viral med posts, but I don't remember. I'll do a search. Interesting that we need more glucose for the brain to function. Hmmmmm.

MRPAIN - As I mentioned earlier, congnitive dysfunction was a big problem for me when I worked and was one of the main problems I had to stop working. It's interesting that sometimes you have more lucidity than others.

EPHEMERA - Yes, I am also reluctant to talk because I never know if I will be able to complete a thought and I'm concerned that I will sound foolish.

AZCACTUSLIL - It seems that many of us have had to give up our jobs because of memory loss and cognitive dysfunction. Sorry it happened to you, too.

MUSIKMAKER - Yet another one of us who had to stop working because of it. You've got plenty of company for what it's worth.

LITTLEBLUESTEM - I definitely need to eat more often and more certainly am lacking in sufficient protein. I had a really delicious beef burger the other evening and I felt great afterwards.

Thanks to all of you. Somehow we will muddle through this together.

Blessings,

Lolalee
  15. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I'm taking Valtrex. 3 grams a day.

Also, Mikie posted recently about some supplement for coginitive function that Rich Carson (the founder of pro-health) is using.

PS...those are the initials.

If you scan the first page of posts, you shld find it.

Cheers

Delia
  16. deliarose

deliarose New Member

phosphatidly serine. sp?>

Cheers Delia
  17. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

18. sues1

sues1 New Member

I was bragging to my DH that my new supplement was really helping my brain fog.

We were getting ready to go shopping and when I walked to the car..he burst out laughing and all he could choke out was "your shoes"! I looked down and I had on black one and one brown one....

Here is the funnier part of this...black was a slip on, brown was a sandal with straps......I thought I had grabbed the same style shoe from the closet and did not look down when I had put the 2nd one on.

I said, "You do not like them? Wow... and I have another pair in the house just like these".

Of course I changed right away. He said he was tempted to let me find this out on my own! So glad he did not.

But really... Fibro Complete Multi™ with Malic Acid from our store here is helping me and giving me little more energy also. I am going to go amd order more...they are having a buy one get one free on it right now.....Susan
  19. LittleBluestem

Thanks for the info. I am dreading treating for viruses, but think I am going to have to.

I am taking PS (your spelling looks pretty good). Since I can’t find a health care practitioner who knows anything about CFS, I am self treating, so being very conservative on doses. I may need to increase that one.
  20. deliarose

deliarose New Member

I was very skeptical about the whole stealth virus thing for the longest time. I've had CFS for over a decade now... but I noticed an improvement on
    Valtrex in a couple of days.

It was unmistakable and the fog is dissipating daily it seems. I can't believe that no one ever thought to suggest it before.
    (the doc who is prescribing is board certified but now operating as an alternative practitioner.)

I mean all the mainstream docs I saw threw drugs at me ...stimulants, steroids, ADD drugs, Parkinson's drugs for restless legs...but they wouldn't take a chance on an anti-viral?

FRUSTRATING, to say the least.

By the way, the only side effect I've noticed is a slight increase in fatigue. It's week 3.. and I think the fatigue thing is fading.

I don't imagine it is a silver bullet, but I'm a lot better. Oh, and my bloodwork doesn't show any current or active infection. The doc just went by what he thinks is the case in most CFS patients...

Good Luck
    Delia