Cognitive exercise games

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spinetti, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Maybe some of you have seen these. The games are designed to improve the cognitive skills of people with MS, but I found they seem to target the cognitive problems I have.

Kind of fun, although I had a tough time with the directions.
  2. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I play Also designed to help cognition, supposedly.

I really like Rotate and Rotate2. Dragger is also good. And the memory games Masterpieces, etc.

I love stuff like this. It's almost worth being demented! ;O)

I'll check out your link.

Thanks much!

ETA Ok, yours are complicated! I think you have to be able to walk and chew gum to play those. I am completely defeated by the instructions. Mine are much easier - almost meditative.[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2009]
  3. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Yeah, my games are a lot like multi-tasking, and I am chewing gum.

I'm going to try yours.

Here's a test for "dementia."
  4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I'll be sending that along.

Your games were crazy! Do they ever explain how to make the character jump?

I'm not big on direction at the best of times - directions just spoil perfectly good games like the ever popular Ikea Furniture Game or the classic New Small Appliance Game.

Give me some jumbled up modern art and I'm a happy girl.

Peace to you,
  5. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

I like Masterpieces. You get Betty Boop when you reach 100.

To avoid the rocks in the MS games, one hits the up arrow, and the jump is automatic. To duck the balloons, one has to hold the down arrow until the balloon passes overhead. Trial and lots of errors.

Why do they make these things so complicated?

Instructions are for the faint of heart! :))
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Yeah, I like masterpieces, too. And, I think Betty is my profile pic. here.

Did you Rotate? both versions are good and seem to calm and focus one.

Dragger is also good because you must figure out what cues to use when the art in question is abstract. There's some very nice but gentle thinking opportunities.

I enjoy gentle thinking but get rattled when I have to make anything jump or avoid killer balloons.

Yeah, what you said about instructions. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

ETA yeah, I use Betty, dragging a pillow, in a shrinking room as my profile pic. here. check it out, it's perfect!

[This Message was Edited on 08/20/2009]
  7. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Time to rest the brain.

Dragger's fun, but I think I over-rotated!

I'm going to drag my pillow off and watch some baseball. No cognitive challenges there.

Best wishes,
  8. steach

steach Member

This doesn't have anything to do with your post- but your name caught my eye.

My mother was adopted and her biological mother's last name was Spinetti.

Would you mind sharing where you are from or any other information? I'm wondering if you could be a distant relative?!!

My great-grandfather migrated from Pratola Peliginia, Italy.

9. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Alas! I am a non-Italian. I took the name Spinetti from the British comic actor Victor Spinetti – a favorite of mine. He was born in Wales of Italian heritage.

Perhaps he is a relative? My relatives are mostly French, Swiss, and English – an American mix.

Best wishes,
    fake spinetti
  10. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Fiendish game! But I am making progress.

When you get a good score, the canned voice says, "Great work!" I'm such a sucker for positive reinforcement.
  11. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

I took up crossword puzzles because I read it would be good exercise for my
    mind. I think all I'm really doing is revealing the deterioration in the upper story.

After 25 years of brain fog, I am now making a graceful segue into

Hey, maybe you and I are related. I had ancestors in France, but they moved
    to England several centuries ago. I might be related to the comic. I have
    ancestors from Wales. Some of them came to the new world and founded
    Springfield, MA.

I looked up "Spinetti" in a couple dictionaries. Means "spinet". Of course we all
    know that's an unmarried female. Don't see that word much anymore.

("Ciao" is like aloha or shalom. Means hello and/or goodbye.)

12. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

I did crosswords regularly for years. It was strange. Even as my brain got worse, I could still do them – although I had trouble with simpler tasks and reading.

My French ancestor emigrated to southern Wisconsin about 1870 to a French farming community there. His son, my grandfather, married the descendent of Cornish tin miners who came to work in the lead mines nearby.

My grandmother made great Cornish meat pies, which were what the tin miners used to take for lunch in the mines.

I've been doing pretty good on the MS games. I can't tell if my cognitive functioning is improving, or if I'm just learning how to play the game. I'm having fun with it, anyway.

Rafiki's games are fun, too, although I keep running out of time on some of them. My brain works so slowly sometimes!

Thanks for the ciao!
  13. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Spinetti, thanks for the website. I have also sent this to someone who has MS.

For you crossword fanatics, have you seen the documentary, "Word Wars"? I think that is the name. It shows all these famous people who work crossword puzzles. There is also one about scrabble, one of my all time favorite games.

Rafiki, I still play the Zen loop game you suggested. I love it. I also love the music.

Have fun, all!! That sentence does not sound right. Maybe I need to go exercise the old brain.

14. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

Even as a crossword fan, I never thought anyone could make an interesting documentary about crossword puzzles. But "Wordplay" was very interesting, indeed.

The crossword puzzle people were fascinating. I could relate!

ETA: Nora Ephron wrote a funny piece about her online Scrabble addiction. Here it is
    [This Message was Edited on 08/23/2009]
  15. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

if I'm remembering it correctly, was someone (Bill Clinton, maybe, don't really remember) talking about being unable to figure something out, leaving it, coming back to it and finding that it was something they knew after all. I think there's a real lesson in that - patience, knowing more than we think, knowing less than we think, not having to know everything...

How's that for precision thought?!

Gonna go read Nora E now.

16. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

It was true. When I would first look at the Saturday Times puzzle, often it would seem impossible. I couldn't get a single word. Then, I would start guessing and maybe find a couple letters for sure.

And, Voila! Many hours later I would have the whole thing just using things that I knew, but didn't know I knew.

Very satisfying!
  17. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

it's like life, isn't it. We look at life and think: I can't do this! Then we take one step at a time, find out we're not so hopeless after all, and we do it.

Very satisfying!
  18. Spinetti

Spinetti New Member

After a few days doing the MS games, I'm at Level 4 remembering a six-word shopping list while ducking balloons and jumping rocks – distractions.

However, I've yet to see much improvement in my cognitive functioning in the everyday world. Post-exertional malaise and rapid mental exhaustion are always big factors for me.

My new-found prowess ;o) at the MS games did give me the confidence to try playing checkers online with "real" people at Google games.

My brain keeps checking out about halfway through a game, and I get whomped. It is nice to have a little interaction with the general population everyday, though.
  19. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I used to play Hearts with real people online.

The world of online Hearts was very interesting. There are those who just want to play a simple little card game and have no particular agenda. There are those who are totally focused on 'shooting the moon' and not doing so is failure. Then, there are those who play only to thwart the Shooters - let's call them Mooners.

The Shooters will never stay in a 'room' with neither other Shooters nor Mooners. Shooters think that if your game in not focused, in some way, on Shooting the Moon, you're not playing hearts. Timid players, anxiously divesting themselves of hearts and the terrifying Queen of Spades are, to Shooters, a total waste of virtual space and real time. Dedicated Mooners are sometimes tolerated for the challenge they pose when no other Shooters can be found but, more often than not, they are despised by the Shooters.

It's all quite exhausting. And yet, I can't really stay in a room full of people who are doing nothing more than desperately trying to play it safe any more easily than can the Shooters. So, I vacillate between my more base instinct to spoil something for someone else and a kind of terror filled attempt to take it all! Well, I did, but I found myself feeling so bad for everyone that it just wasn't any fun any more and I gave it up.

I trust checkers is not so cut-throat and, ultimately, heartbreaking.