Cognitive problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Redwillow, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Does anyone do anything or take any vitamins that help with cognitive problems?

My brain can't function with noise or distractions. If I am in a noisy place I actually start to feel nauseous and exhausted.

This stuff has gotten really bad for me. I passed with honours in school and now I can't figure out anything.

I can't read an instruction manual and follow it. My brain just shuts down. I can read the words but nothing makes sense.

Math is really difficult. Even figuring out the amount of money to leave for a tip makes my anxious.

Anyone found anything that helps?

hugs Marion (Redwillow)

2. TerryS

TerryS Member

the last few weeks have been a real trip. couldn't figure out how to average five numbers last week. took me an hour to figure it out (and i'm a math geek!!!). it was very humbling.

was supervising my 24 year old daughter yesterday while she cooked dinner. had the recipes right in front of me but kept "losing" them. kept forgetting ingredients, set the oven temp 100 degrees over the proper temp, etc.

can't keep up with a conversation very well. keep forgetting what we're talking about.

i'm a bit shaken up right now and kind of scared. don't understand what is wrong with my brain.

TERRY
  3. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

This stuff is kind of scary. It was worse when I was trying to force myself to keep working. My co workers were making a lot of sarcastic comments and that really hurt. I knew I was smart (at least I remembered being smart at one time) but my brain seemed have forgotten how to work. I had to leave work and fortunately was able to get disability but it was a real kick in the self esteem.

Some days I think I should get out and do some volunteering but I am afraid I wouldn't be able to handle it.

hugs Marion (Redwillow)
  4. TerryS

TerryS Member

and refusing to give me any more 'cause they haven't helped me a bit. disappointing...

TERRY
  5. spacee

spacee Member

At this point after 20 years, the cognitive (I think of it as CNS ..central nervous system) problems are the worst. All the other symptoms I have had some success improving but not the cognitive.

It bothers me more than words can say. I really do think I read on a 5th grade level. And not a BRIGHT 5th grader either.

I have tried about everything that I have ever heard of including B-12 injections that were made at a compounding pharmacy they were so strong. Nothing has helped.

Dr. Cheney encourages patients to take .5mg of klonopin in the am. That doesn't work for me. Recently, I started taking a half of a 1.4 of a 5mg of Xanax in the am.(.6mg). Or if I am going to be around noise. It doesn't make me "brighter" but I can stand the noise better.

I don't feel that my brain is permanently damaged...maybe one day there will be something that treats this. I really hope so.

Hugs,

Linda (Spacee)
  6. MtnDews

MtnDews New Member

YES! I have cognitive problems as well. Not sure if it is all the different meds they have given me to help the FM & CIFDS. One doctor did listen and ordered a brain scan. Anyway, I had the brain scan and it did show some brain lesions...so that's my excuse.
    Some days just staying awake is an issue. I almost always feel foggy, but some days are better or worse than others.
    H
  7. deliarose

deliarose New Member

anti virals, transfer factor or abx...
    You have to tackle the stealth infections..
    Delia
  8. momwinterwhite

momwinterwhite New Member

I am sorry for you I know how frustating this is.
    I also was top of my class and on my game .that makes it
    even worse.I cant finish my sentences or remember names
    and often forget important business that needs attention.
    also noise and background music or noise drives me crazy.
    It is painfull to think of what we have lost with
    not much hope of regaing our cognotive abillitys ??anyway
    keep the faith best wishes momwinterwhite
  9. Kayleen

Kayleen New Member

I found that Metagenics Ultra Inflamax helped me. I also get Micro Current from my rhumy. Both help alot.
  10. CoralRose

CoralRose New Member

This is my first time to post here...or at least in a very long time. I don't read the message boards often, because I feel so sad for everyone, I just want to cry.

I've had this condition for at least 20 years, and actually I think it began when I was age 11. I can remember burning muscles, severe headaches and no energy even then. I am now age 51.

I have diagnosed endocrine problems (Diabetes, PCOS, Hypothyroid). It does not seem that the treatments are helping. My doctor says that I am close to needing Insulin. I have a hunch that it has to do with the "receptors" in my body. Anyone else?

I am not having to deal with the constant, excruciating pain any longer, thank God! I did the Guai protocol some six or seven years ago, and what a difference that made!! I felt as though I was dying in the process, but it was eventually very effective. I do have days when I feel as though I have been beaten with a stick, I have tender and trigger points, etc. But I am not housebound, as I was for three years.

I have been hesitant to work, due to body and brain fatigue. However, a few months ago I had the opportunity to take a job writing reports, and it was appealing. The problem is, I must write on at least a tenth grade level. That is a struggle for me, and I was once a creative, concise writer. It takes no less than three or four times as long to do the work as it should. I am very frustrated, and wonder if I should continue on, or resign. The brain fatigue following the completion of a report is debilitating. The only thing that helps at all is sleeping fifteen to eighteen hours at one time, and then my body is so sore I can hardly walk or move. I know that seems excessive to those who are not familiar with CFS.

I am sorry...this is a very long message. I have not vented in a while, and my best friend, even as much as she loves me, does not understand the severity of this. She is encouraging me to "keep on with the reports" so that I will be "accomplishing something with my time." She believes that I am depressed because I am not being productive. How do you explain to people, and have them understand? It is an ongoing thing.

I ask God's blessings of good health for everyone with this debilitating disease/syndrome/sickness. Whatever it is called, it is horrible!