Cold, Allegies, or What?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Empower, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Empower

Empower New Member

I had a cold about 3 weeks ago. Got over it. Now, I am feeling just miserable again, like I have a cold or something. Head stuffed, sniffing, sneezing.

It is like an every other day thing....One day feeling okay, next day miserable. I even have cut out alot of dairy and wheat.

I am just really confused as to why I feel so miserable.

Of course the weather was in the 70's last week, today it is in the 40's
  2. Catseye

Catseye Member

are a good indication that antibodies are being made for some of the food you are eating. When you said you cut out most of the dairy and wheat, you really have to cut them out totally. At my worst, after quitting dairy for a long time and getting over all allergies, I tried a bit of butter one day and sneezed my head off for the next 2. It doesn't take much to trigger allergies and you should avoid the things that do. Substitute lots of nonstarchy veggies for the dairy and wheat you were eating before. Allergies means inflammation and that means worse symptoms. Do you suspect leaky gut?
  3. Empower

Empower New Member

Actually, I thought about Leaky Gut today, as I am having many stomach problems.

I don't know much about the syndrome though, so if you can enlighten me, I would appreciate it
  4. Catseye

Catseye Member

I'm putting together a thread about it, it's really long. It basically goes along with gut dysbiosis if it gets bad enough and I should have emphasized it more in my stool thread. It's not an obvious connection, nothing really is to a bunch of brain-fogged computer nerds like us!

Here's some tidbits from my notes, which I'm trying to check out and condense into relevant information:

Each enzyme is capable of acting only in a medium of a certain pH. The pH of a substance is the measure of its acidity or alkalinity. An alkaline substance is one in which the hydroxyl ions (OH) are in excess of the hydrogen ion (H). If the hydrogen ions are in excess, the substance is acid. If the hydroxyl and hydrogen ions exist in equal concentrations, the substance is neutral. For convenience, the physiologist expresses the concentration of hydrogen ions with the chemical symbol pH. Measuring the relative concentration of hydrogen and hydroxyl ions with the potentiometer, substances with a pH of seven are neutral, becoming increasingly acid as the pH falls from seven to one and increasingly alkaline as the pH rises from seven to fourteen.

where large molecules are broken down into smaller ones by enzymatic hydrolysis hydro (water) lysis (to loosen) means to loosen up by water or to cleave large molecules into smaller ones by adding water. The organic catalysts (enzymes) are necessary to speed up hydrolysis, but these destroy food values. In the stomach, it occurs at a low temp in a short while. It takes a year or more more hydrolyze foods without enzymes.

Food must be reduced to a size that can penetrate the mucous membrane of the intestine and be changed to a substance that can be assimilated and used like simple sugar from carb digestion, glycerol and fatty acids from fats and amino acids from proteins. Enzymes are composed of complex proteins, so we need amino acids for their synthesis. A catalyst is a chemical agent that greatly speeds up chemical reactions and may be recovered practically unchanged at the end of the reaction.

the majority of our neuropeptides and components of our immune system are made in our guts, once guts have been damaged, our brain, nervous system and immune systems cannot function properly

When the vitamins, minerals or food escape into the body, the immune system has a hard time recognizing them for what they are. This is partly because they aren’t where they are supposed to be. Partially digested proteins are especially at risk of not being properly identified. Generally it is only a matter of time before the immune and nervous systems decide these things are foreign invaders and react as such. Therefore, developing an allergy. Once our systems view them as harmful it remembers this substance as harmful and will react that way next time and the next time and the next. Most of our “food” these days is very complex. It contains all sorts of colors, preservatives, additives, and even "enriched" with synthetic vitamins. Even our “fresh foods” could be contaminated with pesticides, herbicides, growth hormones, antibiotics, or acid rain.

This tends to further confuse our systems, because 1 or 2 items may be beneficial and 1 or 2 items could be toxic or harmful. Eventually, the body may view it as all bad or all good. Either way, when this happens, it is not a good outcome. If the body thinks all components of a food is beneficial, it will try to use or store any toxins or chemicals in it. If the body thinks all components of a food is harmful, foreign or toxic, it will dump everything including the nutrients.

This "dumping" may explain why so many autistic children require quite high doses of nutrients. Not to mention, there needs to be enough nutrients leftover from what the invasive organisms will steal from them. Once the gut has been severely damaged it is unable to assimilate nutrients. Because of that, until there has been significant healing of the gut, natural liquid supplements work better. Furthermore, anything absorbed by the skin can be used and assimilated directly to the cells where they’re needed. This can bypass a lot of the over-reaction by the immune and nervous systems. Mainly, because the cells can pull it in and start to use it before the immune system forces the body to get rid of it.

Furthermore, once you develop food allergies and a leaky gut. You are more likely to experience more in the future. This is because with food allergies comes mal-digestion. With mal-digestion, there are plenty of nutrients, acidity, and putrefying food for organisms to feed on. This is exactly the type of environment that these invasive organisms love and thrive in. Therefore, it attracts more. With more, comes further damage, which perpetuates the vicious cycle.

As if all this weren’t bad enough… If, (or more like when), the invasive organisms doing this damage escape the gut you are really in trouble! These organisms are called invasive for a reason. They are insidious, hard to get rid of, have a great survival instinct, and they are smart. What do I mean by smart? They have the ability to trick the body. This is why from one flu season to the next, it is almost never the same strain. It changes itself just a little to stay one step ahead of your immune system. They can camouflage themselves to look like a gland or organ tissues or cells. They use these survival tactics to get the body to attack itself. An autoimmune disease is born.

If you want to significantly improve autistic behaviors and improve food allergies. You have to first start with supporting and supplementing what the gut can’t provide in its damaged state. Second you have to begin healing the gut. Almost every biochemical treatment either directly or indirectly centers on these two aspects:

Supplementing what the damaged gut can't provide

Healing the gut

Even the fact that children with autism don't get rid of heavy metals can be linked to a damaged gut. The body requires sufficient amount of amino acids to be able to excrete heavy metals. A damaged gut cannot not properly break down proteins into amino acids required for this process.

I don't think there's a "one size fits all" diet and supp list for LG, but I'll try to put one together anyway for people who can't pay for an expert.

5. Empower

Empower New Member

Wow Barrow, very very interesting stuff, thank you

I need to do some research on this